European cruise visa question

Hi,

I'm looking to book a 7 day European cruise which starts in Barcelona and makes stops in Tunisia, Italy, and Monaco. My question relates to getting a Schengen visa for my Thai girlfriend. I'm wondering if it can be done from Chiang Mai? We would rather not have to make a trip to Bangkok to obtain the visa.

Does anyone here in the Chiang Mai forum have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks...

Yep, I am afraid you have to go to Bangkok. And you have to apply for her Schengen to the country where you will spend the most nights, and you can apply from 90 days before your arrival in that country.

Wichever country that is, check out their requirements carefully to avoid multiple trips to Bangkok.

It will help if she has property and/or a job and letter from her employer to say they want her back. Usually they want evidence that she has strong reasons to return to Thailand and the financial capability to support herself on the trip-may not be such a big deal on a cruise if everything is prepaid I guess. but they will want to see medical insurance with an insurer they approve of. It may also help top have evidence of the duration of your relationship-even a 6 month statement from your phone company showing calls between you etc.

Good luck- I am sure the hassle will be worth it.

You will indeed need a Schengen visa, applied for in Bangkok. Get an appointment in advance (contact the embassy for details or if you prefer, go via VFS) at the embassy of the country which you will spent the most time in. If there is no clear main country, apply at the country of first entry (Spain).

You may also wish to check with the cruise company what their policy for Thai passengers who do not have a visa for Tunis. They may require a visa even if the Thai does not plan to leave the ship (you board and exit the ship in the harbour, using the personal pcustomer card of the company, non-EU travel documents are usuall kept by the cruise company for the duration of the cruise). For more info on Schengen visa's:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/724180-schengen-visa-faq-when-applying-from-thailand/