Investment Visa

I have been in Thailand for the last five years on a non-ed visa. I will soon reach the end of the last 1 year extension stamped on my passport.

I have managed to build a small house on a leased land from a trustworthy friend, and hope to retire there. I live alone, with no serious attachment to anybody. Though I would love to obtain a retirement visa, my age does not permit it yet, need 1Y 3M to reach 50.

For the investment visa the requirements of having 10M is fulfilled in the form of TDs, I have gradually moved my savings to Thailand over the last 5 years.

I am so confused with rules and regulation and I thought I would post my case hoping the knowledgeable and wise can advise me.

I heard and read about the the Elite Visa 500,000 for 5 five years. I am averse to having to pay that much just to obtain " a permission" to spend the rest of my life savings here. Reports of Laos and Vietnam are encouraging and if it is absolutely necessary I'm willing to make the move!

My questions are:

1-can I change my non-ed to investment one in Changwattana Immigration?

2- I read and heard that I would have to have a non immigrant visa, does the non-ed count as one?

3- If I need to obtain a non-immigrant one where would be the best nearby country I could visit to obtain one and what are the requirements?Is it difficult?it would be based on what?

Apart from an investment visa, is there any option open to me?

1. No.

2. Yes in theory, but in practice immigration doesn't treat it like that.

3. Probably not possible. However immigration in Bangkok would convert a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to non-imm 'O' if you satisfy the requirements for getting the extension.

Note that immigration is extremely reluctant to issue this type of extension, so you check in person with them first.

I think the best for you would be bridging with some tourist visa until you're 50 and then do the regular extension of stay with Bt 800,000 in a Thai bank.

Edited by paz

Why everyone is saying the immigration is reluctant to issue this type of visa? Has anyone tried (I doubt it)? I am sure if one asks, it should be no problem. 10M is not small money and why would they refuse it? Thailand would profit from it much more than from any other type of visa and it is a guarantee that this person has much money and will spend much in here, too. I really do not see any reason why would not they issue one for someone under 50.

Just visit the immigration and explain what you need, I am sure they will be more than happy to help you with this kind of visa. Or even use an agent, if you prefer the more comfortable way and do not care spending some fee for this service, but I do not think this would be necessary.

Dear Escapis,

you should listen to Paz, that is you should hang in there for a not too long of time, 15 months, using tourist visa. AFter that, only 800 thousand baht in the bank , and you are done. An investment visa and a retirement visa is all the same purpose. It help you to stay in Thailand.

If you want to become a permanent resident , you can go to Chaeng wattana and show immigration 3 consecutive years with a non immigrant visa (ED visa in your case). After you have asked them about the permant resident program and your 3 consecutive years, etc. And they nodded, you can proceed. I think one of the hurdle is, for example, your file is completed. You will sing a Thai national anthem, i think. Therefore, your Thai language must be proficient level of advance, like read write and speak very well.

Oh, about Laos and Vietnam, Please go there for visit only but living in Thailand is my suggestion. If when the sickle and hammer come down from these two countries, which will not be happening anytime soon, But say like 10 years down the road. May be move there, and that is just a may be.

If you want to become a permanent resident , you can go to Chaeng wattana and show immigration 3 consecutive years with a non immigrant visa (ED visa in your case). After you have asked them about the permant resident program and your 3 consecutive years, etc. And they nodded, you can proceed. I think one of the hurdle is, for example, your file is completed. You will sing a Thai national anthem, i think. Therefore, your Thai language must be proficient level of advance, like read write and speak very well.

Incorrect info. You have to working here with a work permit and paying taxes on a salary of 80k baht or more for 3 years to apply for permanent residency.

For permanent residency you do not have to sing or be all that fluent in Thai to apply for it either. That is needed for citizenship.