Foreign tourist arrivals up 18 percent year-on-year in first half of Feb

webfact

What a surprise !!!!!! The TAT have always stated tourism year in and year out was up 20% on last year no matter what has been happening here or elsewhere. What a load of b*****t these people so regularly spout. Ao Nang and Hua Hin both pretty empty in my view. Have been for many many weeks.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I simply do not believe such statistics ... TAT is using a WAG -- wild ass guess to come up with these numbers... Living in Ao Nang ... what we see are marginal bars and restaurants closing in January, Motorcycle rentals ... hundreds and hundreds still parked on the curb UNRENTED... Inn Keepers -- talk about a lower high season this year, Crowds on the street smaller from observations of long time residents. Apartments, bungalows, etc. going unrented - some for the entire high season...

Total Bunk

....Chiangmai is Booming... I do remember when the visitor numbers in Chiangmai use to roller coaster (depending on several external events) and Ao Nang visitors stayed fairly steady...Its a bummer for those folks who really do rely on steady visitor numbers. I suppose there is always next year....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Breaking news.....

This morning from 10:00 to 10:02 62 people came out of customs with their baggage carts. Yesterday, only 40 people came through during the same period. Tourist arrivals up 55%!!!!!

Hahahahahahahaha!

This idiot only looks in the period 1-15 Feb..

Sure most Europeans are having their "Spring break" these 2 weeks and next week. This week it's Carnaval week, so many have arrived last Saturday. Last year the "Spring Break" was the last week of February and the first week of March.

In such a small period (2 weeks) YOU CAN NOT measure, except during X-mas and New Year weeks when the whole world is celebrating. You must take a way longer period.

I would have had the same figures if I still would have my hotel in Europe.

Please go back to SCHOOL !!! (not a Thai school, where you don't learn any thing, what is only used as a kiddie daycare) Or shall I teach you some Marketing and Economics???

LIke so many others on this Forum, I agree that Chinese tourism is being pursued by the TAT and others to make up for the drop in numbers - and that it will backfire on ordinary Thais.Those tourism numbers are obviously deliberately misleading and a deliberate use of the CNY numbers - but hey, isnt that like so many other things here biggrin.png .

Ordinary Thai people wont say it publicly but they do not like 'JEENS' - never have and never will - utter insesitivity on the part of the Jeens to Thai culture and customs. In fact that is the same everywhere they go - disliked by all. The problem in Thailand is that Thais are extremely reluctant to 'impose' their values on the Jeens - unlike in Europe and USA and Aus/NZ were they are quickly 'brought into line' when they breach local rules (like pissing in pools, or washing undies in public, and just being rude/ignorant/noisey). They get away with it here - and they are more and more taking advantage of that. Hopefully the authorities will recognise it one day and deal with it - but unfortunately it will probably be handled like the beach chairs in Phuket issue cheesy.gif

Was down from Isaan to Bangkok and Pattaya the first week in February and I have to say I kept remarking, "I don't know what people are talking about saying there are no tourists."

Pattaya was jammed with Russians and Ukrainians. Walking street was impossible to walk down, mobbed. My regular hotel on Soi 19 Sukhumvit for 4 years now had to tell me for the first time, "Sorry, no standard rooms available today, all full." Lots of people at the pool in the restaurant, so they weren't just trying to force me to upgrade by fibbing to me either.

I do not know the numbers but Samui is busier now than January. The beaches are crowded even though the water is dirty.

You cannot book a direct flight to Bangkok for the rest of this week with Bangkok Air. Friends tell me that they have been charged nearly double the normal price to get here and return.

I suggest to those interested and have some time on their hands.... Post a Topic Thread asking for input on observations in the major tourist / expats resort areas... make a set of observation criteria to report on ... I know such a post will not get members to behave and post constructively ... but enough will to get a better picture ... a post with some structure for feedback

Suggested criteria ... observations on: ... bar attendance, bar closing, bungalow, apartment, etc. rentals ... units going unrented or rental customers seem to be sparse, street observation from people who have lived in the area long enough to know the difference over the years.

Ask that post not be derogatory to certain ethnic and nationalities --- but just numbers - crowd size ... what are they doing ?... Large Group Tours or small group branching off. Actually buying goods or just snapping photos. Are they using

How are the seaside people doing such as SCUBA, Snorkeling, motorcycle rentals.

In short - any and all indicators of business strain, low customer count, small guesthouse and bungalow rental investments going under.

Bottom line we can see closed business ... take a look over several day ... are those doors really shut with signs - for sale - for lease, etc.

It would be nice to have many different reports from all significant locations.

I know this thread is doing some of that -- but more structure to the questions and responses would be very telling.

One way to get a reading is by joining a local Facebook Group .... (yes I know - you can groan)... but these groups such as the one in Krabi / Ao Nang Locals - 2000 members - mostly foreigners give a lot of feedback.

Buy Sale Trade sites ... I sponsor one myself - are good indicators of long stay 'Tourists' giving it up and going home -- selling out - all acquired 'things' for the household goods.

Down here I see people dumping new cars, trucks and motorcycles, every kind of furniture ... Some of this is due to natural turn over ... but I see a lot of sudden announcements ...

those tour groups really help the numbers but have destroyed the quality of life for the expats who life here...those dirty tour buses that embody everything wrong with the envionment,pollution,noise,traffic,caos, and on and on..ya thailand is right on track to ruining what is left of this once good place to live..

Yup, Yup, to believe the Tourism Minister, lets do the math.

December was up in numbers, Oh! I forgot about Christmas season.

Early January was up in numbers, oops! I forgot New Years day!

February numbers are up, Oops! I forgot Chinese New Years, and

all the advertising for that event.

Now how can I get the numbers up for March, the mean month

cometh, you know meana come

Oh well there is always next year. Yup, Yup.

These could be signs of desperation. It appears as soon as something as obscure as a 2 week comparison from last year looks up , they run out and tell everybody Tourism is thriving. It smacks of clutching at straws to me and trying to make "Good News"

How Will the Baht react if it comes to light there is a real reduction in tourist numbers ?

Edited by ExPratt

The word from a Phuket Airport immigration officer today says different. According to him, tourist numbers are 30% down on this time last year.

TAT surely has access to the Thai Immigration Dept. numbers ... which easily shows that their hyperbole is actually false propaganda. TAT is not just a bunch of bumbling fools -- seems more like calculating deceivers .

• Like 2

The word from a Phuket Airport immigration officer today says different. According to him, tourist numbers are 30% down on this time last year.

TAT surely has access to the Thai Immigration Dept. numbers ... which easily shows that their hyperbole is actually false propaganda. TAT is not just a bunch of bumbling fools -- seems more like calculating deceivers .

More like Johnny One Note IMO. It's all they know how to do; it's all they've ever done; it's all they'll ever do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtNkGxOwNo

• Like 1

Just come back from Big C Patong and it is very busy with rude, lo-so Chinese, carrying baskets full of dried noodles and packet sauces...........the numbers are there but the big spending certainly isn't!!

Will be glad when C New Year is over and they all go home.

• Like 1