Why Did You Come Here?!

Khleerm

It was different. It seemed secretive. Some people went out of their way to help me. There were beautiful islands, people from all over the world. Even on a budget, travelling was enjoyable.

The language boggled my mind. I wanted to learn more, try to see what it would be like to not be a tourist. To be able to hear what people said when they were obviously talking about me thinking that I could not understand. To find out what they really thought of Westerners.

And most importantly, I wanted to be different.

(Don't feel so bloody different on this website though. :o)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what happened to the drugs... can you send them on?

Like Dude, I thought you were in Central America? Don't tell me you've used up all of their stash?

:D

I´m here. The problem isn´t finding them. I´m just being greedy.

:o

post-12676-1156369511.gif

It was different. It seemed secretive. Some people went out of their way to help me. There were beautiful islands, people from all over the world. Even on a budget, travelling was enjoyable.

The language boggled my mind. I wanted to learn more, try to see what it would be like to not be a tourist. To be able to hear what people said when they were obviously talking about me thinking that I could not understand. To find out what they really thought of Westerners.

And most importantly, I wanted to be different.

(Don't feel so bloody different on this website though. :D)

That´s a really good answer actually.

when I first arrived, I felt like I was a character in some LeCarré novel or something.

Exotic, I could be a spy, or an international crime ring family member, or anything I wanted to be in a world full of strangeness and somewhat blade Runner-esque.

Of course, I ended up a drunken english expat who slept with lots of women and generally arsed about.

Edited by kayo

I had worked for a large company in the US for 22 years then they decided to sell the factory. I made the decision that I was NOT for sale and resigned. I then moved on to another factory and after three years that company was for sale. I had an offer from Australia from a company who was planning to build a joint venture company here in Thailand. I worked here from May 1991 until August 1996. The Thai economy was looking pretty bad and I was burned out so I accepted a job offer in sunny California.

After two weeks in Kalifornia I decided that the political correctness sucked and that things had changed for the worse. I lasted two years. I then made a VERY bad business investment here in Thailand. That lasted two years and my money ran out so it was back to Kalifornia. At that point I DID have a plan. I lived as frugally as I possibly could and saved as much money as possible while putting the maximum limit into retirement plans. Three years later I was ready to make the final move back to Thailand. I'm here to stay and am living comfortably out in the boonies. If not for my Thai wife I would still be in my Jomtien condo BUT as long as I have the love of my life I would be content no matter where we lived.

Came here with the wifes insistance, and a high paying job.

The high pay got me feeling all warm and fuzzy, but now after realizing I work 7 days a week at least 12 hours a day... I don't have time to even enjoy the bahts, that warm and fuzzy feeling is gone.

Well let me add my bit to this thread:

I retired from my Proffession in 2002, but needed something to do only being 52 then so I ended up doing two jobs and was married to my 4th UK wife (Stupid written on my forehead). THis marriage ended.

I had a mate out here whom I have known for 22yrs he said why not come for a holiday, I thought why not.

I did a flying visit for 10 days saw a thai lady very nice, came back to UK, returned to Thailand after 5 weeks for three months, !st Thai lady was bad so said goodbye was on a downer for 15 mins lol met my new lady now my wife she is wonderful and we have a baby on the way.

Having met my now wife I returned to UK sad to leave Thailand and my new lady, when I went back to work I discovered that a close friend in my three month abscence had contracted Cancer and Died with only e few months to Retirement. THis made my outlook on life change.

I spoke to my ole Mum she said do it son you UK marriages were crap bless her, I sold up everything and here I am

happy in our home and in the village.

macb

Had been working here on and off for a few months, and liked the place! My partner and I had been looking for the opportunity to move overseas (from Australia) for the adventure and experience of it, and this opportunity presented itself. And, by moving home closer to work meant that I could sleep in my own bed more often instead of living in hotels 90% of the time. And we've got a great lifestyle here. Living in Australia is great but it's SUCH a long way from anywhere it's a bit isolated... living in the middle of Asia makes you much more of a 'global citizen', and the opportunities for travel and visiting other countries just open right up. Overall it was the whole package of things which made us decide to move here, and we're very happy with the decision!

My father came to Thailand in '76 and worked as a consultant. Went to school in Bangkok for 5 years. He remarried, so have a great stepmother from Nakhon Si Thammarat. Been comming back to Thailand for varying lengths of time over the years. Finaly got fed up of Europe and decided to come home to Nakhon five years ago. Can't see myself leaving any time soon.

I got married 17 years ago to my Thai wife in Australia, I had never been here before. I was a global traveller in those days so I thought why not visit my wifes home and family? Been coming back ever since, cheers. :o

Firstly for work. I then fell in love with the country. The outlook, food, beaches, smiles beautiful women and the economics of me staying here when I wasn't on a contract. Eventually I fell in love with one of those beautiful women and here I am.

I am English and had spent almost 10 years searching for a place that felt right. Within 24 hours of being in Thailand I knew I had found that place. Have never regretted a single day here.

:o ODP and selected services. Those were the days when we (the crew) were free range rovers. Lots of fun with no plans for the future, just a day at a time or for the moment and then then moment was gone. We though it would never end. :D Time just slipped away and here I am many years later. Guess I am about the only one left from the original crew. Others just moved along over the years or...... :D

I first came here in 1999 to visit my wife before we got married. She had visited me in the USA in 1998 after us having been internet friends for a year and a half. I stayed for three months in 1999, then headed back to Florida for more school/work then came for another extended visit in 2000. The following year, we married here and then moved to Florida where we both worked. Due to some troubles with the US immigration people and our desire for a more relaxing lifestyle, we moved here permanently in 2002 after a vacation visit. As long as I'm with my wife and son, I'll live anywhere though.

Oh, and libya my man, there's a very easy way for US citizens such as myself to avoid paying taxes. Just don't file a return. Got a problem with that, IRS? Come get me. Here's my address.

The problem with that is that jail time is the penalty for not filing. So it is better to file a return with an old address or something. I did not come to Thailand to avoid taxes, but I am in a position where I am paying back a substantial amount monthly even here from Thailand and I wish I didn't have to.

I sort of tripped into Thailand. I did meet a guy but it wasn't why I stayed. I just love the lifestyle here. I feel free.

Oh, and libya my man, there's a very easy way for US citizens such as myself to avoid paying taxes. Just don't file a return. Got a problem with that, IRS? Come get me. Here's my address.

The problem with that is that jail time is the penalty for not filing. So it is better to file a return with an old address or something. I did not come to Thailand to avoid taxes, but I am in a position where I am paying back a substantial amount monthly even here from Thailand and I wish I didn't have to.

I sort of tripped into Thailand. I did meet a guy but it wasn't why I stayed. I just love the lifestyle here. I feel free.

Taxes shouldn't be a problem. Working or living abroad, you can make up to $82,500 a year tax free, provided you stay 330 days out of the country. I've been doing it for years working in Iraq. I make considerably more than that, but I only pay taxes on the $20K to $30K that I go over... with all of the deductions for my ex and our daughter, it hasn't been bad. This year, now that the Ex is the EX, I'll have to pay more, but I'm going to try to find a way to show less... I send more to Thai wife, hopefully as a gift... my accountant will definitely earn his money this year.

i heard of an island called koh samui in 1984.

took me 2 years to get it together,

next thing im on the mini bus from penang to koh samui first time in thailand.

2 girls by my side, the first thing i remember seeing is the palm trees getting bigger as we approached the island in pissing rain.

i had reached my nervana. :D

i'll never ever forget it.

been hooked ever since im afraid.

dont live here yet, but soon will be, but always back and forth from freo.

:o

Taxes shouldn't be a problem. Working or living abroad, you can make up to $82,500 a year tax free, provided you stay 330 days out of the country.

are you sure soic? is this even if the money is made from an american employer? hmm. doesn't help with my back taxes but will for the past year.

look, at the end of the day, if Thai women hated Farangs, we would not be here.

Think I'm wrong?

Try pulling a chick 30 years younger in UK.

It would be quite easy if you earned 20 times what her mother and father together earned, or if you had a house worth 20 times what their's was worth.

Very simple

My company thought it would be better to have me in Thailand (more central) then when living in Singapore.

I did not choose to be here, I was forced.

Do I like it here, Yes sometimes.

Alex

Taxes shouldn't be a problem. Working or living abroad, you can make up to $82,500 a year tax free, provided you stay 330 days out of the country.

are you sure soic? is this even if the money is made from an american employer? hmm. doesn't help with my back taxes but will for the past year.

You need to check into it for sure in your situation. My employer is an american company, but my contract is through a subcontracting company based in the Caymans. I know that my salary is tax free up to $82,500 each year. I've filed every year that I've been here and thanks to the deductions that I had with the EX and our daughter and other stuff, I've always managed to get a refund of about $5,000 on my federal... and that was after earning $129,000.00. All completely legal and done through a legit accounting firm in Atlanta, Georgia. The key is to spend no more than 35 days during any 365 day period in the US. If you can prove that you were out of the country all that time, it might reduce or eliminate your back taxes. I also spread some of my funds around into different accounts, with my Thai wife, my Romanian Ex-wife and my Mother. I show a good portion of my income as gifts. I don't know about your situation.

got fed up with the med and carribean a mate said come here and i wish i had not wasted years going to the med chatting up brits buying them drinks and being used.here you can have some good times and they will not cost the earth :o

Some great posts, here's mine.

I'm 59 and in great health. If I wanted to retire in the States with enough income to have a nice retirement I would have had to work for another 7 years. :D Who knows what my health would be in 7 years so I started looking for a country where I could retire NOW. As I like the Buddist culture, study Zen, and do Vipassana meditation I looked for an Asian country. After 3 investigative trips to Thailand I deceided this was the place. Meeting and now having a Thai fiancee 28 years younger than me was not a reason......oh yea :o Viva la sex!

You need to check into it for sure in your situation. My employer is an american company, but my contract is through a subcontracting company based in the Caymans. I know that my salary is tax free up to $82,500 each year. I've filed every year that I've been here and thanks to the deductions that I had with the EX and our daughter and other stuff, I've always managed to get a refund of about $5,000 on my federal... and that was after earning $129,000.00. All completely legal and done through a legit accounting firm in Atlanta, Georgia. The key is to spend no more than 35 days during any 365 day period in the US. If you can prove that you were out of the country all that time, it might reduce or eliminate your back taxes. I also spread some of my funds around into different accounts, with my Thai wife, my Romanian Ex-wife and my Mother. I show a good portion of my income as gifts. I don't know about your situation.

I'm a CPA here in the states.

The foreign income exclusion is correct, but it is on earned income only, unfortunately not investments. As mentioned you must be out of the country at least 330 days per 365 day period.

Regarding the quotes below, I totally agree with Neeranam, It’s not because Thai women love us farangs, its more about the money, well initially most certainly! Come on guys don’t deny it!

Phil

look, at the end of the day, if Thai women hated Farangs, we would not be here.

Think I'm wrong?

Try pulling a chick 30 years younger in UK.

QUOTE from neeranam

It would be quite easy if you earned 20 times what her mother and father together earned, or if you had a house worth 20 times what their's was worth.