Forever fresh seafood and meat!

mathewjg

Its an outlawed practice but I have seen in a few markets where they spray the uncooked pork and chicken with a substance that keeps flies away....a friend pointed it out to me he said it was formaldehyde.

In that same area I have had some excellent meals in the small restaurants. There is one run by a Turkish bloke that does very nice kebabs and our favourite is amongt the fruit stalls and run by a bloke with a hat that does deliveries on his bicycle. Excellent, very tasty and decent price. The restaurants take their food from the fridge and cook it fresh. The takeaway stalls dont even warm up the food thats been hanging about. About 25 years back we were in Turkey and there was an outbreak of food poisoning. Within 24 hours ALL of the restaurants were closed down by the local mayor and not allowed to open untill they had installed refrigerated displays. The displays all arrived the next day.

Its an outlawed practice but I have seen in a few markets where they spray the uncooked pork and chicken with a substance that keeps flies away....a friend pointed it out to me he said it was formaldehyde.

they do it everywhere all the time. Any unsold seafood like prawns are kept for days and even weeks in liquid formaldehyde the same substance that is used to preserve corpses!

they do it everywhere all the time. Any unsold seafood like prawns are kept for days and even weeks in liquid formaldehyde the same substance that is used to preserve corpses!

Rubbish.....formaldehyde cost money

• Like 2

Rubbish.....formaldehyde cost money

Not as much as buying new stock does. And formaldehyde can be used again and again and again. Even more so that cooking oil.

all that is fine until one day - 30 years ago I contracted cholera from eating street food - even today still suffering and god forbid I eat anything that is not good - the results are instant - have seen many medical experts but the answer is always the same - will be with you for the rest of your life

No one getting cholera from street food any more bro. Food here is very, very clean. I'm honestly suprised at how well poor people msking next to notbing take such great care.

You had a bad experience decades ago snd still holding a grudge. You csn eat fresh salads now snd drink tap water <deleted>. Go back hone.

Thais build immunity, I'm certain I have as well. But yeah, the temperature abuse is ridiculous. Many seafoods have histimines in addition to amy other temp issues. But I won't totally balk unless it us seafood or something else raw. Don't be a girl.

Edited by Mencken

All I know is, in 27 years of being in Thailand, I have never got food poisoning from Thai Food.

27 years and never had the shits for one day !!!!!!!

Amazing, well done coffee1.gif

Well, having the shits, is not exactly food poisoning.

In 27 years, I have had food poisoning 8 times, and each and every time, its been Farang Food.

I would guess I eat Thai 75% of the time, and never once have I been sick from it.

That's the truth, sorry it does not fit in with your view.

No one getting cholera from street food any more bro. Food here is very, very clean. I'm honestly suprised at how well poor people msking next to notbing take such great care.

You had a bad experience decades ago snd still holding a grudge. You csn eat fresh salads now snd drink tap water <deleted>. Go back hone.

Thais build immunity, I'm certain I have as well. But yeah, the temperature abuse is ridiculous. Many seafoods have histimines in addition to amy other temp issues. But I won't totally balk unless it us seafood or something else raw. Don't be a girl.

How do you know the food is "very, very clean"? Have you been to where it's been prepared? Has it been refrigerated? Are there cockroaches, rats etc where it's prepared? How many times has it been warmed over? Do the people who prepare the food wash their hands? Unless you can answer all those questions and still claim the food is "very, very clean", you don't know squat.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

How do you know the food is "very, very clean"? Have you been to where it's been prepared? Has it been refrigerated? Are there cockroaches, rats etc where it's prepared? How many times has it been warmed over? Do the people who prepare the food wash their hands? Unless you can answer all those questions and still claim the food is "very, very clean", you don't know squat.

Its great that Thais build up immunity to bacteria but not so great for tourists who unless they come from similar countries are vèry unlikely to have. Maybe a crash course of donner kebabs for a month or two before going on holiday could be prescribed. Regarding drinking the tap water - We are staying in a very decent appartment but the manager insists that tap water is not suitable for drinking and every travel site advises the same. I do like to live dangerously so do use tap water for brushing my teeth. I have seen salads being washed in tap water and so far I have not had any adverse reactions, maybe ice is made from tap water in which case it must be ok from the amount I have had over last month or two. But....what about sushi! Surely must be the most dangerous food to eat after being left out in the heat for many hours plus flies..people must be mad to touch that stuff.

Iam not quite sure you understood my message - do not understand about "a grudge" or to be a "girl" - I can tell that you have zero knowledge of food hygiene and food handling - I do not condone "street food" at all - anyhow whether decades ago or today, it is still very common to be caught with a "bug" and hopefully only mild - you would be surprised to know how often local people suffer from some gastro infection...