Uninstalling Programs without Deleteing them

chiangrai

Hi,

I have windows 8.1 and there are some programs that show as installed but I never use them.

They show on my Revo uninstaller and in the controle panel.My notebook is not powerfull so I want to keep everything to a minimum.

Is there a way that I can uninstall these programs wirhout deleteing them.

There are also loads of apps that show on my Classic Shell start menu which I know I will never use.

I don't know where they are stored or if they are slowing my machine down.

So I have two questions 1-how to uninstall unwanted programs without deleting them and 2-how to get rid of the apps I don't use by deleting them if possable.

Thanks in advance.

Most windows-based 'programs' don't use system resources unless launched, so there is no need to delete those.

If a program is set to launch at Startup, and you don't really need it, or it's services, then just remove it from the startup sequence. Again, no need to remove it.

Another thing that may SLOW your computer are System Resources/Services that you may never use. Try searching for "Windows 8.1 things to disable" for a list of services that can be disabled, or kept from starting up and using system resources.

• Like 1

O.k,

That's a nice easy solution.I presume it's the same for the apps as the programs ,they just sit there and don't

slow down the machine.

There is a hell of a lot of items on the "services" section but I can tweak it by trial and error.

My computer isn't actually running slow,I just want to streamline it as much as I can.

Thanks

Agree no harm to get rid of the unused crap that you are being needlessly reminded to update but why would you want to keep these obsolete programs/security hazads on your computer? It only takes a few seconds to download the current version if you decide you want it again. That will also free up storage area. Most programs are designed to leave setting information unless told otherwise so a new download and starting again is really easy in today's world.

• Like 1

I have 8.1 as well, so here's what to do.

1. If you're using the desktop, hit the Windows key to take you to the Start menu with the tiles.
  2. Right click the app you don't want anymore and choose Uninstall.

Alternatively, right click the app you don't use much and choose "Unpin from start". This will remove it from the Start page, but will leave it installed.

Most windows-based 'programs' don't use system resources unless launched, so there is no need to delete those.

If a program is set to launch at Startup, and you don't really need it, or it's services, then just remove it from the startup sequence. Again, no need to remove it.

Another thing that may SLOW your computer are System Resources/Services that you may never use. Try searching for "Windows 8.1 things to disable" for a list of services that can be disabled, or kept from starting up and using system resources.

I assume this works for other windows too ?

is there a way to do the same with Chrome browser ?

I am one of those guys that have dozens of windows open at one time , so I can jump between them

but when I do Ctrl-Alt-delete and get to task manager I see under Processes many that say "Chrome.exe *32" and all using resources

is there a way to just let them sit there and not use resources in the background , only when I click on them and renew ?

Thanks for your help

is there a way to do the same with Chrome browser ?

I am one of those guys that have dozens of windows open at one time , so I can jump between them

but when I do Ctrl-Alt-delete and get to task manager I see under Processes many that say "Chrome.exe *32" and all using resources

is there a way to just let them sit there and not use resources in the background , only when I click on them and renew ?

Thanks for your help

The question about Chrome running in multiple processes was asked a few years ago.

HowToGeek published this response: [and] "You can read the technical details here:"
"Q. In Windows Task Manager it seems that I have multiple Chrome processes running, even though I only have one Chrome window open.
How is this possible? I always thought each open program represented one process."
"A. Google Chrome takes advantage of these properties and puts web apps and plug-ins in separate processes from the browser itself."

"This means that a rendering engine crash in one web app won’t affect the browser or other web apps. It means the OS can run web apps in parallel to increase their responsiveness, and it means the browser itself won’t lock up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. It also means we can run the rendering engine processes in a restrictive sandbox that helps limit the damage if an exploit does occur."

"Basically, each tab has one process unless the tabs are from the same domain. The renderer has a process for itself. Each plug-in will have one and so will each extension that is active."
So, if you don't want Chrome using memory, turn off unneeded browser extensions.
And unless a Javascript, Java App or other programming environment is running as part of a Chrome task, the memory may be allocated but it's not really using much in the way of resources ... so they're already just sitting in the background waiting for user input.

"So, if you don't want Chrome using memory, turn off unneeded browser extensions.

And unless a Javascript, Java App or other programming environment is running as part of a Chrome task, the memory may be allocated but it's not really using much in the way of resources ... so they're already just sitting in the background waiting for user input."

I looked at extensions and there were 3 from google I did not know about and 2 others , so not a ton of them.....

any other resource hogs hiding in Chrome or windows 7 ?

Thanks

By the way, I'd advise you not to use Revo uninstaller with Windows 8.1

Windows own uninstaller is very efficient which makes third party uninstallers superfluous.

Agreed on Revo.

If its a newish PC full of crap I'd use pcdecrapifier and also a cleanup with ccleaner (formerly crap cleaner).

If you don't want to delete the software, when you bought the PC it may have come with software install packs, or if you downloaded the programs then keep the install files if they are big and might need them later - otherwise if they are total crap just junk them and forget about them forever. You can always go to their web sites and install again later if you need them.

(The above applies to Windows programs not Windows 8 Metro apps or whatever they call them now, which I haven't commented on as I use Win-7).

Programs like Blue-Ray/DVD player apps, Backup Utilities, AntiVirus and such that are special versions ''bundled' as part of the OEM initial setup when installing the original Operating System may be difficult or impossible to source individually. Meaning if you want then, you'll either have to reformat/re-install the OS to get them back, or buy the retail version.

Some OEM bundled programs may have individual installers. Others only get loaded (and authenticated) at time of OS install/setup.

So, yes. I mean, no, yes, you can't download them again ... as you didn't download them in the first place so you can't download then 'again'. And they're not available for download. So, no.

In Thailand that is not a big issue as legal programs are not normally bundled with legal operating system (for the few OS that are legal). We do not get extra software when buying that new computer as they are sold bare or at the most with basic operating system. And these days there are good free software solutions for most applications so really no need for anything but legally downloaded software for most of us.

Programs like Blue-Ray/DVD player apps, Backup Utilities, AntiVirus and such that are special versions ''bundled' as part of the OEM initial setup when installing the original Operating System may be difficult or impossible to source individually. Meaning if you want then, you'll either have to reformat/re-install the OS to get them back, or buy the retail version.

Some OEM bundled programs may have individual installers. Others only get loaded (and authenticated) at time of OS install/setup.

So, yes. I mean, no, yes, you can't download them again ... as you didn't download them in the first place so you can't download then 'again'. And they're not available for download. So, no.

This is all correct. You might not need to re-install the o/s again to get bundled softwares you've deleted depending how the o/s gets installed originally. For example on HP computers when installing the o/s from the install image disk all of the bundled software such as Adobe, antivirus gets saved in a software setup folder so the bundled items can be deleted, reinstalled on the fly.