Question about getting a SIM card to use in the UK while on holiday

livinthailandos

I was not sure where to post this question at on thaivisa if need to move to another forum kindly do so.

After searching through online searches i'm not any closer to finding a answer on getting a SIM card to use for traveling while i'm in the UK on holiday for 2 weeks, only areas I have seemed to find are
1. many providers in the UK ranging from using
Giffgaff / EE / Vodaphone / Virgin / O2 / three and more
Any recommendations on which provider has the better coverage in terms of phone calls and internet coverage especially in scotland area
2. places to get the SIM cards appear to be either from Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U, minimart, grocery store
Any other places to buy from. Recommendations I read are not to buy from the airport especially the vending machine, By the way for certain places please specifically list where the place is at or at least near what tube station.
By the way my phone is unlocked. Need a plan that has at least 3GB internet data and at least calling talk time. need a nano sim card.
Look forward to all recommendations on this. Thanks

I was in the UK recently and bought a Vodafone SIM in a high street phone outlet - can't remember which one.

It worked fine, and I was able to recharge voice and data via the Vodafone website using my UK debit card. You can keep the number alive for future visits by sending a single SMS every six months. In practice, this means buying the smallest (5 pounds I think) SMS pack every six months online and then sending one text message to yourself. The charge for the SMS while on roaming is (if I recall correctly), 49p, and with a one month validity on the pack you have to buy one each six months to keep your number alive while over here. This means the annual cost of maintaining your UK number is around a tenner.

Useful if you need to maintain a UK phone number for banking purposes or whatever.

• Like 1

Giffgaff are FREE and can be sent to an address, they are about the best deal and work on O2 network. Checkout there website.

Oost corner shops and news agents like WHSmith have sim cards, including at the Airport when you arrive.

If you have a Thai sim that is on contract you can enable that for roaming but its quite expensive but handy if you still want people to contact you.

Phones4U dont exist anymore.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

I always use GiffGaff. They send you a free SIM to a UK address and you can choose from a series of packages called GoodyBags. I use a £10 GoodyBag which gives me 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of internet. A GoodyBag lasts a month and you can retain the number if you wish to use if you go to the UK again. Send me a PM and I'll send you a link which will give you some discount. It's on offshoot of O2 so it has fantastic coverage.

Giffgaff free sims cheapest PAYG phone calls in the UK: 10p minute. They have great packages/goodybags also. But they are online only for ordering sim and topping up, customer service etc. Great service but not sure if they'd send sim to Thailand. U could give your 1st hotel as your address and it would be waiting for u when u arrive.

Check out giffgaff.com

Poster above has reminded me of their referral deal so If u private message me your name and your arrival UK address/hotel address, I can get the sim sent there for u and u be both will get free £5 credit.

Edited by SunsetT

GiffGaff as others have said , I have 4 in the UK , each £10 month , 500 free minutes , unlimited UK texts , 1 gb date , FREE GiffGaff to GG Calls ,

buy online have sent to a UK address .... (others deals available)

Depends on which is offering what, and whether cheap calls home are important to you, or mainly domestic coverage. You can buy Vodafone or O2 at the requisite shops, and they'll put in and set up the SIM for you. And definitely DO NOT buy at the airport vending machines; a total con.

I would suggest getting a sim at the airport - see comments above. There are 5 networks - Three, O2, BT, Vodaphone and EE. Three, O2 and EE all have outlets on the high street and in the shopping malls. May all change because BT are in talks over buying EE and Three are in similar talks to buy O2.