Hill Tribes Violin Students Go To Belgium

gerry1011

The Chiangrai Youth & Hill Tribes Violin Concert of last Sunday at Insii Thai House has been a very nice success. Pictures are on www.insiithaihouse.com

Among the guests was the Belgian ambassador, who could witness what the kids have learned in just two months with Belgian violinist Geertje Podevyn.

At the end of the concert it was announced that 3 of the hill tribes youngsters will be offered to travel to Belgium for two months next March. They will learn more about violin playing but also learn the basics of the stringed-instruments maker's profession.

However, there is one condition: They MUST speak English before to leave.

Some friends have already offered their help teach them English in Maechan, and we thank them.

But since the young violinists have only 7 months to learn the language, more help from (respectable) English teachers will be welcome.

So, if you have sme free time... thank you in advance :o

/.... removed ..../

Frankly I can't see the value of giving a student two months of lessons in Thailand and then giving them two months lessons (and learning the basics of stringed-instrument making) in a European country only to be brought back to Thailand again.......are they at least going to have continued instruction here in Thailand whent they return.....or will they be on their own?

I'm not saying that this is bad....I just thought that there was going to be a serious investment in the development of three children going on in Belgium. I hope they have a great time in Belgium and that somthing good comes from all this.

To end I'll just say to the kids.....congratulations and have a geat vacation in Belgium.....if you can learn to speak English in time for your vacation.

/ .... removed ..../

Sometimes Chownah goes a little bit too far in his negativism and he knows this. So I removed the first and last paragraph. This is about happiness for children who start their lifes from a very difficult position. This topic asks for help, not for discussion and certainly not for provocations and irritating comments.

If Chownah presents a similar project to us, we will be happy to assist him in stead of making negative comments.

Limbo.

Edited by Limbo

Chownah, was it time for a negative posting again?

In this topic volunteers are asked to step forwards.

Nobody is asked to come with pessimistic comments.

If you don't have the time to volunteer you might consider a financial contribution to enable the students to stay longer.

Look at the happy faces of the children on the pictures of the other tread about this project.

Would you tell the same thing to them?

Shame on you.

Limbo

Are these children based in Mae Chan or Chiangrai at present.

I could certainly help out if they were in Chiangrai but I can not get to Mae Chan often enough to help..

Please let me know of there location!

In The Rai!

They are based in Maechan (SuksaSongkraw school). But there could be a possibiliy for the school to provide transport to Chiangrai. But I should check this first...

Frankly I can't see the value of giving a student two months of lessons in Thailand and then giving them two months lessons (and learning the basics of stringed-instrument making) in a European country only to be brought back to Thailand again.......are they at least going to have continued instruction here in Thailand whent they return.....or will they be on their own?

I'm not saying that this is bad....I just thought that there was going to be a serious investment in the development of three children going on in Belgium. I hope they have a great time in Belgium and that somthing good comes from all this.

Thank you for your very encouraging comments.

I guess that if the Belgian Embassy, the TV, Prestige Thailand, Radio Chiangrai, The Nation, The Bangkok Post and Chiangai Mail covered this story, it means that there might be a value in this project which you obviously didn't notice (especially with learning the basics of stringed-instrument making)...

Oh, by the way, we also offered a free "holiday" to Bangkok for three other hill tribes children. They never went out of Maechan and never took the plane, so we just wanted to make them happy... They performed at the Hyatt for highly respected figures of the Thai society who encouraged the project. Maybe they understood its value :o

You "just thought that there was going to be a serious investment in the development of three children..."

Now, let me assure you that we too have a brain and that there is a (valuable) goal we want to reach for these kids and their future.

I think this is just a great chance for 3 children to get an opportunity of lifetime, not only to leave Mae Chan for the first time but to leave Thailand.

Gerry let me know!

Even if I cant regularly in Chiangrai I could sometimes and I might be able to find someone that can help out also.

Chownah,

If you read the original post you would know that they have 7 months to learn not 2. Even 7 is not a long time to learn granted, but far better than 2.

In The Rai!

I think this is just a great chance for 3 children to get an opportunity of lifetime, not only to leave Mae Chan for the first time but to leave Thailand.

Gerry let me know!

Even if I cant regularly in Chiangrai I could sometimes and I might be able to find someone that can help out also.

Chownah,

If you read the original post you would know that they have 7 months to learn not 2. Even 7 is not a long time to learn granted, but far better than 2.

In The Rai!

In The Rai!,

I believe you are mistaken. I believe that the original post states that they will have 7 months here in Thailand in which to learn adequate English for their trip and they will spend 2 months in Belgium....2 months which will be split between learning to play the violin and learning how to make violins. Please let me know if I am wrong in this.

Chownah

You are absolutely right on this, Chownah. It's all the rest that you go all wrong :o

Guys,

If you read Chownah's post he said that the children had 2 months here and than 2 months in europe. I was just stating the original post stated 7 months here not 2.

It doesnt really matter anyway does it. It was proberbly just a typo!

Lets just move on and see if we can get these children the opportunitity to go somewhere even their wildest dreams wouldnt have imagined them in.

Let me know Gerry

In The Rai!

Guys,

If you read Chownah's post he said that the children had 2 months here and than 2 months in europe. I was just stating the original post stated 7 months here not 2.

It doesnt really matter anyway does it. It was proberbly just a typo!

Lets just move on and see if we can get these children the opportunitity to go somewhere even their wildest dreams wouldnt have imagined them in.

Let me know Gerry

In The Rai!

All kind of help is welcome!

We already have the help of one (very well known Chiangrai) friend. First lesson was given today :D

Another friend suggested to go to hot rock cafe, a place which organizes English lessons through music and activities. Still have to contact them to see what they can do.

It's on track :o

For those who want to see the pictures of the 3 other students' "Bangkok trip", the pictures are on the website.

Cheers :D