Two Foreigners injured in rare Kite Surfing Accident in Jomtien

webfact

Two Foreigners injured in rare Kite Surfing Accident in Jomtien

kite-8.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Two foreign nationals, reported to be of French nationality, were seriously injured in a rare Kite Surfing incident on Tuesday afternoon on the beach at the rear of the Ambassador City Hotel in Jomtien.

Police and medics were called to the scene just before 4pm and were told that the Kite Surfers, aged 14 and 28 were lying on the roof of a 40 floor Hotel Building. Mr. Narayan Keita and the 14 year old, Miss Tatyana Fadeyeva had sustained cuts and bruises and suspected broken bones as a result of accident.

Witnesses mentioned seeing the pair come off the water and rise almost 200 meters into the air before being dragged over to the hotel complex where they came to rest on the hotel roof.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/171963/two-foreigners-injured-in-rare-kite-surfing-accident-in-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-02-19

It was quite windy yesterday afternoon. I've seen kite surfers there get jumps up to 20 feet or so, but to get to the top of a 40 storey building would require a height of over 400 feet!

Something doesn't seem right. Maybe it wasn't a kite board? I've seen those kites with a propeller behind them on that beach.

I'll pop over today to get the scoop...was there at lunch and it wasn't even windy enough for the to get out.

edit: maybe parasailing being towed by a boat? I've seen them land on buildings before when I was in Mexico.

It was quite windy yesterday afternoon. I've seen kite surfers there get jumps up to 20 feet or so, but to get to the top of a 40 storey building would require a height of over 400 feet!

Something doesn't seem right. Maybe it wasn't a kite board? I've seen those kites with a propeller behind them on that beach.

I'll pop over today to get the scoop...was there at lunch and it wasn't even windy enough for the to get out.

edit: maybe parasailing being towed by a boat? I've seen them land on buildings before when I was in Mexico.

Something is amiss for sure. This definitely a story that keeps one "hanging!"

• Like 1

These are common accidents with kitesurfing all around the globe, just google search and you get 6000+ results. Why is it when it happens in Thailand it receives negative comments about Thailand.....all sports have accidents all around the world, not just Thailand.

• Like 1

When I read about people called Narayan Keita and Tatyana Fadeyeva in the vicinity of the Ambassador I assume that they are Russian rather than French.

Not that that makes any difference to their ability to fly.

Narayan Keita is quite possibly a French male (http://www.wayn.com/profiles/AHNkeita) while Tatyana is clearly Russian. Boyfriend and girlfriend? The frog trying to impress the Russian with his flying abilities?

These are common accidents with kitesurfing all around the globe, just google search and you get 6000+ results. Why is it when it happens in Thailand it receives negative comments about Thailand.....all sports have accidents all around the world, not just Thailand.

The first person that even mentions Thailand in this thread is you. Please highlight the negative comment your talking about, because as far as I can see your complaining about your own assumption, which is wrong. No one posted anything negative in this thread until you came along.

• Like 2

When I read about people called Narayan Keita and Tatyana Fadeyeva in the vicinity of the Ambassador I assume that they are Russian rather than French.

Narayan is an Armenian name, Tatyana Fadeyeva is a Russian name.

Nowadays France is a multinational country...

Narayan is an Armenian name, Tatyana Fadeyeva is a Russian name.

Nowadays France is a multinational country...

Narayan is actually an Indian name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narayan. Don't know how to use Google, 'burzhui'?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai social media is saying it was a parasail with a motor on the back. I'll try to find the link with wifey's help....

I see these all the time on that beach....

It wasnt kitesurfing. It is parasailing with a motor pulling them. Just a misleading news. With a kite, jumping on the 40-storey hotel is not really possible smile.png

That certainly seems more plausible, still quite bizarre but plausible!

Take a chill pill and think before you reach for the keyboard, and finally dont be so negative.

Exactly, this type of accident is very common in kitesurfing. I have personally seen people picked up by updrafts to considerable heights and then slammed into cars, buildings etc. Can be a very dangerous activity.

I have done quite a bit of kiting when I was younger back in holland even with windforce 8-9 it was hard to jump over 20 meters far and 3-4 meter high. I am not saying its impossible, but you would need a big kite / matrass (parachute kind of kite) instead of the kite form and a whole lot of wind. More then I have seen in Thailand. Maybe during a thunderstorm (but who would fly a kite then) I had pretty big kites back then and even hooked 2 of those together.

It was a whole lot of fun and a hobby i stopped when coming to Thailand. (im in bkk and traveling to the coast when there is wind is a bit time consuming)

Exactly, this type of accident is very common in kitesurfing. I have personally seen people picked up by updrafts to considerable heights and then slammed into cars, buildings etc. Can be a very dangerous activity.

Yes its dangerous.. but a lot of fun.. but 100 (or more) meters straight up ? I find it hard to believe