good German restaurant in CM?

Samizdat

G&M German Sausage Restaurant

103/1 Moo 4, Muangton, Doi Saket, Chiang Mai

Sunday buffet.

If there is better German food in Chiang Mai we've never tasted it.

GPS 18.7973649265, 99.1416968101 (G&M)

Best pork knuckle in CM. Even if the owner is a bit of a "knuckle" himself when tanked.

• Like 1

On my last trip a German friend took me to the Sunday brunch at the Auf der Au in Saraphi, just south of the intersection of the 121 and the 106. It was one of the best western food buffets I've encountered in the region consisting almost entirely of German food and the hostess was charming. The place was packed with jovial Germans who clearly made this spot a weekly meeting place. I don't think I could do it more than once a month as it took me a few days to recover as the food was that good. They also have the same buffet Friday and Saturday nights.

And yes, in town, the Bierstube still has lots of German dishes on their extensive menu, and you won't find a friendlier restaurant in town.

Disclaimer: I am not German

Edited by Johpa

Sunday buffet.

GPS 18.7973649265, 99.1416968101 (G&M)

Best pork knuckle in CM. Even if the owner is a bit of a "knuckle" himself when tanked.

We also like the smoked bacon (piece; not sliced). The Frankfurter, Cheese Sausages, Curry Wurst and Sauerkraut are not that great.

Auf der Au, ChiangMai-Lampun rd. Great value, buffets for just 229 Baht.

The price has gone up, now 249 baht. I ate there 2 weeks ago. Still worth the price IMHO.

Fantastic food and plenty of dishes and desserts to choose from.

Anybody tried G&M's other place behind Big C Extra? Apparently the Sunday buffet is 200 baht.

Auf der Au, ChiangMai-Lampun rd. Great value, buffets for just 229 Baht.

The price has gone up, now 249 baht. I ate there 2 weeks ago. Still worth the price IMHO.

Fantastic food and plenty of dishes and desserts to choose from.

Anybody tried G&M's other place behind Big C Extra? Apparently the Sunday buffet is 200 baht.

we were regulars, about once per month, but it closed perhaps a year ago.sad.png

On my last trip a German friend took me to the Sunday brunch at the Auf der Au in Saraphi, just south of the intersection of the 121 and the 106. It was one of the best western food buffets I've encountered in the region consisting almost entirely of German food and the hostess was charming. The place was packed with jovial Germans who clearly made this spot a weekly meeting place. I don't think I could do it more than once a month as it took me a few days to recover as the food was that good. They also have the same buffet Friday and Saturday nights.

And yes, in town, the Bierstube still has lots of German dishes on their extensive menu, and you won't find a friendlier restaurant in town.

Bierstube may have "lots of German dishes on their extensive menu" but sadly the food is crap. You will rarely see any German Expats there, maybe a few German tourists who stumble upon the place while roaming around the Tapae tourist-trap Area. The good German restaurants in CM that have been mentioned by others here already are all far away from downtown and need own wheels to get there. Though the reward coming out from the kitchen may well be worth it....

Bierstube may have "lots of German dishes on their extensive menu" but sadly the food is crap. You will rarely see any German Expats there, maybe a few German tourists who stumble upon the place while roaming around the Tapae tourist-trap Area. The good German restaurants in CM that have been mentioned by others here already are all far away from downtown and need own wheels to get there. Though the reward coming out from the kitchen may well be worth it....

For sure... get out of the tourist areas.

The trip out to Doi Saket/San Kampaeng is well worth it to eat at the G&M Restaurant.

A facetious remark has been made about Gunther, the owner, who has been in Chiang Mai for well over 30 years.

Yes, he tipples now and then, but he's a great guy and very friendly.

Another one of us drinkers who have a slight working problem.

Sunday buffet.

It's neen a while since I have gone there, but the times I have gone it was excellent. Don't they have another location also?

Sunday buffet.

It's neen a while since I have gone there, but the times I have gone it was excellent. Don't they have another location also?

G&M did have another Restaurant directly in back of Big C Extra ( old Carrefour) on the super highway (11).

post-157194-0-80250500-1424761601_thumb.

Edited by khwaibah

Sunday buffet.

G&M did have another Restaurant directly in back of Big C Extra ( old Carrefour) on the super highway (11).

GPS 18.7990093769, 99.0239228163

Sunday buffet.

This one is gone. Closed 6-7 months ago.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Search TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor, or TA as it's commonly called now, has become to be very biased over time and now that it can be easily manipulated it is not a very good source for food recommendations. Even some of my restaurant owning friends, who will admit that the reviews aren't trustworthy but can be good for buisness, are very concerned of their TA rating and constantly elicit good posts from anyone they can. Sorrily now it's par with the Lonely Planet when it comes to restaurant reviews. If you want a Tripadvisor high rating certificate for your establishments window I know a good copy shop to send you to.

Trip Advisor sucks. It is "gamed" constantly and its maps will often send you off into the ozone somewhere. I encourage your use of, and contributions to, Wikivoyage, e.g., https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Search TripAdvisor.

TripAdvisor, or TA as it's commonly called now, has become to be very biased over time and now that it can be easily manipulated it is not a very good source for food recommendations. Even some of my restaurant owning friends, who will admit that the reviews aren't trustworthy but can be good for buisness, are very concerned of their TA rating and constantly elicit good posts from anyone they can. Sorrily now it's par with the Lonely Planet when it comes to restaurant reviews. If you want a Tripadvisor high rating certificate for your establishments window I know a good copy shop to send you to.

Trip Advisor sucks. It is "gamed" constantly and its maps will often send you off into the ozone somewhere. I encourage your use of, and contributions to, Wikivoyage, e.g., https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Chiang_Mai

what makes wikivyage more reliable than trip advisor?

Search TripAdvisor.

what makes wikivyage more reliable than trip advisor?

Anybody, including friends of the restaurant owner, can add comments to TA. Anybody can post to Wikivoyage. The difference is that additions to TA cannot be deleted or edited. Whereas on WV, if you encounter vandalism or BS, you can remove or amend it. Lots of well-meaning people watch WV (and Wikipedia) articles to ensure that it is legit. TA is a profit-making enterprise. WikiVoyage, part of the Wikipedia family, is not.

Search TripAdvisor.

It has been like that for a while. "Cheerful Charlie's" Fish and Chips was supposedly the top restaurant in Chiang Mai for years - even after it had gone out of business.