A couple of nights away with the family

bkkgooner

Married with two kids, looking to go somewhere within driving distance of Bangkok for a a short break one or two nights away. We went to Hua Hin just before Christmas and really enjoyed it and now want to try something new.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I was looking at Sattahip and staying in the Baan Pictory hotel which has fairly consistent rave reviews on tripadvisor if anyone has any experience there please let me know.

not much in Sattahip really, although there are a few navy beaches. the locals beaches are a bit further east of Sattahip, Phala beach is one, a few new resorts have opened near to the beach. would be a good beach for the children, some good seafood places around, places to visit are silverlakes with the big budda as shown on the Baan Pictory hotel website, and Chinese temple,

I have just come back from Kanchanaburi had a good time, with some lovely waterfalls, dams and nationals parks a bit north of the railway. also went on a ferry across a waterway.

post-19376-0-10810100-1424399360_thumb.j

• Like 1

I would suggest Bang Saray if heading out that way. Closer in is Bang Saen with nice hotels, great food on the beach. The aquarium at Burapha University , and a few really interesting places on the ride from Aung Sila.

Never stayed at the Baan Pictory, but the navy beach at Sattahip is great.

Taking the old train up to Ayuthaya is fun with kids, spending a night or two then coming back on the river. Staying on the khlong at Amphawa in Samut Songkhram also good. Chok Chai farm and few places around Khao Yai also make a fun weekend if you can get out of BKK before the traffic on a friday. Or definitely check our Suan Peung in Ratchaburi for something different.

• Like 1

Just returned from a 3 days drive along the Rayong coast and about 10 km before the main Mae Phim Beach town, bang a right off the highway onto road 3192 (toward the beach) and you'll find a bunch of beach fronted hotel/resort properties.

We booked in at the Bandara 'On Sea' Resort, via Agoda, and IMO, it was cozy and pleasant enough for another stay; although I'll probably have a recce at Smokie's Novotel just down the road as well. Not too much around the area, so we did 1 night and drove the 10km into the main Mae Phim Beach.

Tried the big Mae Phim Resort in town, which I can not really recommend. The Bali Pizzaria (and Resort) along the main Beach Rd. there, was full of customers, which we took as a good sign, and were not disappointed.

Drove to Chantaburi coast the next day but being Saturday, the Thai weekenders were arriving in force, so we waved the white flag and headed back to Pattaya.

• Like 2

Depends what you want, if you need lots of people around you and flash hotels by all means go to cities and tourist places.

However if you do want to get away try the national parks, most have reasonable accommodation for a reasonable price.

From BKK try Chaloem Rattanakosin National Park http://www.westernforest.org/en/areas/chaloem_rattanakosin.htm

They have a fantastic cave there that leads to a walk through the forest and miles of space for the kids to run around.

If you really want peace and quiet go on week days for it is popular on weekends and holidays.

• Like 1

Never stayed at the Baan Pictory, but the navy beach at Sattahip is great.

Taking the old train up to Ayuthaya is fun with kids, spending a night or two then coming back on the river. Staying on the khlong at Amphawa in Samut Songkhram also good. Chok Chai farm and few places around Khao Yai also make a fun weekend if you can get out of BKK before the traffic on a friday. Or definitely check our Suan Peung in Ratchaburi for something different.

My friend who lives in Bangkok went to Suan Peung with his kids not long ago. They loved it. Farms are all over the place I guess. Seems like a good place for kids.

• Like 1

Rayong....great beaches....fantastic seafood at the market in Mae Phim.....a couple of nights at the Novotel please. whistling.gif

Edit: I should say beach rather than market maybe....

That's a nice suggestion, Novotel has sorta mixed reviews on tripavisor though, can you give me some of your impressions of it? Decent beach, decent pool, decent rooms?

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions have ideas for the next few trips here

I went to Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya last year, although Ayutthaya was only a day trip. Kanchanaburi has stunning scenery along the river Kwai, plenty of bars and restaurants along Mae Nam Kwae Road. There is also WW2 points of interest in Kanchanaburi too. I did write about Kanchanaburi and the river Kwai on my blog, plus a tip on where to stay.

http://thetravellingphase.com/kanchanaburi-town/

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

Rayong....great beaches....fantastic seafood at the market in Mae Phim.....a couple of nights at the Novotel please. whistling.gif

That's a nice suggestion, Novotel has sorta mixed reviews on tripavisor though, can you give me some of your impressions of it? Decent beach, decent pool, decent rooms?

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions have ideas for the next few trips here

Everything is good about it....bit pricey for evening meals...but you can drive into town and pay much less.

• Like 1

Everything is good about it....bit pricey for evening meals...but you can drive into town and pay much less.

If you decide to go to Rayong send me a PM....I will be happy to give you a more detailed reply.

Well my gooner gf will probably fill in the blanks lol.....biggrin.png

As a few folks mention Kan since you have your own car. Stay at the Felix Hotel across form you most Famous Bridge.

We have a Safari Park for you to drive through and feed the animals.

and then there are as mentioned by:-

steve187

I have just come back from Kanchanaburi had a good time, with some lovely waterfalls, dams and nationals parks a bit north of the railway. also went on a ferry across a waterway.

Maps of Kan and photos are found on my web-pages.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/root&view=tree

Win and welcome to Kan one and all wai.gif