What is this about

smedly

Muslim residents protest in Phuket

February 19, 2015 6:47 pm

Some 200 residents of Ao Makham in Phuket's Muang district protest in front of Phuket Panwa Beachfront Resort Thursday morning in search of an explanation after an anonymous complaint was filed with the PM's Office.

In the complaint it was claimed that people had been disturbed by Muslim residents' Azan prayer broadcast, which was aired via community radio from 11pm to midnight and 5am to 6am for over a month.

If they want to put stuff on a radio channel - what is the problem - tune in or don't

If it is aired over an area through public broadcast that disturbs people who don't want it then that is a serious problem - I would be extremely angry if I had to listen to that kind of stuff being forced down my throat

anybody know what is actually going on here ?

Story in the PG ---> http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Video-Report-Governor-disbands-Muslim-protesters-threatening/48377#ad-image-0

"The complaint stated that a loud speaker used by the Issatul Islam Ao Makham Mosque was blaring between 11pm and midnight, and from 5am to 6am, causing noise pollution and disrupting people in the area, Vice Governor Somkiet said"

^^^According to the PG article, it's based on relationships with the other resorts in the area. Hmmmmm, great way to deal with the competition if those resorts are getting squeezed by the falling tourist numbers.

I do wonder if their prayer broadcasts been going on for a long time or if it's something recent? If it's been going on for very long, I'd just change the hotel, what's the point of complaining if it's a local way of living?

I would have thought with all the violence going on around the world in the name of islam it would have been a smart idea to keep a low profile rather that disturb people and ram it down their throats

I would find this just as annoying as a neighbours dog constantly barking when I'm trying to sleep

Can't these people set an alarm clock like everyone else

Story in the PG ---> http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Video-Report-Governor-disbands-Muslim-protesters-threatening/48377#ad-image-0

"The complaint stated that a loud speaker used by the Issatul Islam Ao Makham Mosque was blaring between 11pm and midnight, and from 5am to 6am, causing noise pollution and disrupting people in the area, Vice Governor Somkiet said"

I saw that myself when it was first published. I checked on Google Maps and the distance between the hotel and the mosque is only 400 meters.

Considering the fact that rooms cost round 6,000 Baht a night, I'm not surprised if guests complain about being woken up in the early hours by blaring loud speakers.

I've nothing against Muslims and if they want to go pray at that time of the morning by all means do so. But go buy an alarm clock.

Why should hotel guests who have chosen a location away from noisy environments like Patong then have to suffer from that kind of cacophony at 5.00 in the morning.

post-101376-0-22893200-1424520872_thumb.

I saw that myself when it was first published. I checked on Google Maps and the distance between the hotel and the mosque is only 400 meters.

Considering the fact that rooms cost round 6,000 Baht a night, I'm not surprised if guests complain about being woken up in the early hours by blaring loud speakers.

I've nothing against Muslims and if they want to go pray at that time of the morning by all means do so. But go buy an alarm clock.

Why should hotel guests who have chosen a location away from noisy environments like Patong then have to suffer from that kind of cacophony at 5.00 in the morning.

Why was the hotel built next to a mosque?

But who determined the complaint originated at the hotel?

• Like 2