Slow Loris 'Tourist Attraction' seized and owner arrested in Central Pattaya

webfact

Slow Loris “Tourist Attraction” seized and owner arrested in Central Pattaya

loris-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Late on Wednesday Night Pattaya Police arrested a 23 year old woman who was offering pictures with a Slow Loris to tourists, in front of Central Festival Pattaya Beach.

Police received complaints about the woman and the fact she was exploiting an endangered and protected animal for the purpose of financial gain.

Khun Nalumon aged 23 was taken to Pattaya Police Station along with her Slow Loris, who appeared to be in a dazed state. It is a common practice for the animals to be given medication which leaves them drowsy and easy to work with so they can be used for tourist photos without any issues with the animal occurring.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/172157/slow-loris-tourist-attraction-seized-and-owner-arrested-in-central-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-02-20

Ah, crap, I feel like the woman was singled out for the Weekly Scapegoat Act (after all, Walking Street does not exist).

She wasn't selling herself or picking pockets, but some animal rights nut called the police.

Those Temple Tigers went back on stage rather quickly, after all............

bah.gif

Ah, crap, I feel like the woman was singled out for the Weekly Scapegoat Act (after all, Walking Street does not exist).

She wasn't selling herself or picking pockets, but some animal rights nut called the police.

bah.gif

All five species of Slow Loris are listed as either ‘Vulnerable’ or ‘Endangered, by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

They are also listed on the CITES appendix 1 list, which covers species that are threatened with extinction (the same list which hosts the Giant Panda, the Blue Whale, the White Rhinoceros and the Black Rhinoceros.

So I would not exactly say that this woman is a scapegoat nor the person who informed the police was an ‘animal rights nut’

I do feel so sorry that you are no longer able to participate in the endangerment of this species in order to have your picture taken with this poor creature.

Never mind, I believe that Safari World still stages Orangutan boxing matches, so you still have somewhere to visit where you can get your fill of animal cruelty.

clap2.gifthumbsup.gif

There are 2 or 3 other Slow Loris every night on Walking String sad.png

usually in (or a bit South of) the Russian area.

Too easy for them to escape on small Sois when they are informed police arrive.

Police should make more undercover operations...

not only for Slow Loris, and on WS and Beach Road too.

• Like 2

bah.gif

All five species of Slow Loris are listed as either ‘Vulnerable’ or ‘Endangered, by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).

They are also listed on the CITES appendix 1 list, which covers species that are threatened with extinction (the same list which hosts the Giant Panda, the Blue Whale, the White Rhinoceros and the Black Rhinoceros).

So I would not exactly say that this woman is a scapegoat nor the person who informed the police was an ‘animal rights nut’

I do feel so sorry that you are no longer able to participate in the endangerment of this species in order to have your picture taken with this poor creature.

Never mind, I believe that Safari World still stages Orangutan boxing matches, so you still have somewhere to visit where you can get your fill of animal cruelty.

Good that some action was taken about the slow loris, but when will they act on the gibbons and orangutans that are abused in the same way?

• Like 1

Now they have to turn back to announce "slow Thais" as tourist attractions. There won't be any shortage.

re-routing slow thais to tourist areas would obfuscate their purpose in undermining the ability of others people to walk on public sidewalks and in shopping centers.

• Like 1

These little guys are cute.

Maybe I'll get a Slow Loris for the Slow Doris indoors cheesy.gif

Only if you want her snuffed out lol .. have a read !!

Slow loris

This animal might look like a harmless, big-eyed baby ewok, but the slow loris is one of

the only poisonous mammals in the world. Its subtle nature makes it popular in the

illegal pet trade, but unknowing humans should stay clear of its toxin, which is released

from the sides of its elbows. When threatened, the loris takes the toxin into its mouth

and mixes it with saliva. The animal will also lick its hair to deter predators from attack.

The toxin can cause death by anaphylactic shock.

coffee1.gif

Edited by ScotBkk

bah.gif

They are also listed on the CITES appendix 1 list, which covers species that are threatened with extinction (the same list which hosts the Giant Panda, the Blue Whale, the White Rhinoceros and the Black Rhinoceros).

Good that some action was taken about the slow loris, but when will they act on the gibbons and orangutans that are abused in the same way?

Orangutans?

In Pattaya Walking Street?