Immigrants feel stuck after judge blocks Obama orders

webfact

Immigrants feel stuck after judge blocks Obama orders
By ASTRID GALVAN

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Brenda Armendariz, her husband and their two Mexico-born children were hoping to resolve their constant fears of being deported after President Barack Obama issued his latest executive orders on immigration.

But now that a federal judge in Texas has blocked Obama's efforts to protect four million more immigrants, her family is disillusioned and her children feel stuck as the president's offer of temporary legal status moves frustratingly beyond their reach.

About a third of the immigrants now living in the United States illegally would be eligible for temporary protection if Obama's latest orders are upheld in court, either because they were brought to the U.S. as children or because their own children have legal status in the country.

But the advances and retreats on reform have been so frequent over the years that many thousands of immigrants who are already eligible for protection have given up for now — they aren't applying for the work permits and Social Security numbers they are entitled to under Obama's first executive order in 2012.

There are a litany of reasons why, including general distrust of the government, fear they'll be deported, and the nearly $500 in fees it costs to apply. But the constant uncertainty created by Washington's political divide also keeps them away.

About 150 people have reached out to Arizona immigration attorney Lance Wells this week, reacting with bafflement, fear and dismay to the latest reversal, he said. His message: "Be patient guys. We kind of knew this would be coming."

But their patience is wearing thin.

Armendariz and her husband came to Tucson a decade ago with a son and daughter, meaning to stay just long enough to earn some cash and head home to the Mexican state of Sonora. Instead, they overstayed their visas and settled down. Those children are now 21 and 13, joined by two American citizen siblings: a 3-year-old boy and a one-month-old girl.

Like so many other immigrants, this family has "mixed status," and the mother, father and two oldest children didn't qualify for protection under Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA program, nearly three years ago.

With the goal of keeping such families together, Obama's executive orders announced in November would have applied to the older siblings starting on Wednesday, and the parents starting in May.

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen of Texas temporarily blocked both expansions after Obama's opponents sued, calling it an overreach of presidential power. The Obama administration plans to appeal, but 21-year-old Itzayana Aguirre Armendariz is already giving up.

"I don't know if it's just anger or disillusionment," Armendariz said. "I tell her to not close herself off; that Obama already signed (the executive actions) and that now it's just about waiting and fighting."

Aguirre Armendariz had to drop out of community college her freshman year because her family couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition that immigrants lacking legal status must pay in Arizona. She was studying engineering and wants to go back to school, but is stuck helping her mom make and sell tortillas and bread.

With the latest injunction causing more delays, she announced to the family that she wants to move back to Mexico. Her father overruled that, but they know they can't keep their daughter's future on hold forever.

Armendariz's 13-year-old boy is still in public school and had his hopes set on Disneyland, but those too were dashed; driving far from home remains too risky and expensive, she said.

Roman Beltran, of Phoenix, also didn't qualify for DACA's first round, but would be eligible under the expansion. He was brought to the U.S. from Mexico at 5. "I was really upset and frustrated because this is not the first time that I get my hopes up with immigration," he said.

Beltran had been on a separate path to legal permanent residency through his wife until they got divorced. Now 36, he feels taken advantage of by the political battles, and says he simply wants to work and contribute.

"I just want a job, is what it boils down to. To be able to get a job legally, pay my taxes," Beltran said.

The Obama administration had estimated that 890,000 immigrants could be eligible for the deportation protections, according to internal Homeland Security budget documents from 2012. Others put the number at up to 1.7 million.

But as of last June, only 675,000 people were approved, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Luis Martinez, a 31-year-old factory welder in Southern California, is still hoping to qualify as the father of three American citizen boys. He's got many reservations about outing himself, but doesn't see much of a choice.

"I think this is temporary," Martinez said. "I think later on, this will be resolved."
___

Associated Press Writers Josh Hoffner in Phoenix, Amy Taxin in Santa Ana, Calif., and Alicia Caldwell in Washington, D.C. contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-02-20

is that what they call

ANCHOR BABIES

2015 ... and how many farang can get citizenship because they are married to a Thai ?

My wife got citizenship after just 3 years of staying in the country ... no need to work, show money every year, no 90 days report, could work for ANY job if she wanted, but she took care of the babies, free healthcare ...

Thai people get all that if they married and live in farangland ... but we can never expect the same overhere ...

• Like 1

Countries should not automatically grant citizenship to a child born in that country, to non-citizens.

I believe that this is at the core of the current problem the US is having.

I doubt that Thailand would grant citizenship to a foreign child born in thailand.

• Like 2

So, Beltran just wants a job in the US. Just like a few billion others. Why him and not them? Everybody can just come on in. No problem at all. Pretty soon everywhere in the US will look just like those charming slums in Brazil.

I love it when American's complain about immigration.

So ironic.

It was immigration that built the country - and if ever want a chance to push back China - open the doors to a minimum two million a year for the next ten years. Your economy will go through the roof.

• Like 2

When a law is not a law, and how people feel is more important; ...moreover we have insane, greedy people, who support this with insane, greedy logic.

Disgusting! In the corporate world of investment, they call it a fire sale. The USA and what it once stood for... a fire sale. Penny's on the dollar. Queue up, people of any nation, view, religion, culture, etc. Get it while its available. Name your price and it's yours. That once beautiful, proud statue on Staten Island resembles either a prostitute or a rape victim more and more every day.

Simply my view, sad to say. It's not the country I grew up in anymore. By no means. It won't be long now.

Respect to anyone who disagrees with this.

The law reacts to the will of the people - that's why it's always changing and we're not stuck with medieval crimes and punishments.

The will of the people -

That's why slavery was abolished.

That's why women can vote.

That's why gay men can now live openly.

etc, etc

The day the will of the people is removed from law - law and order will die.

• Like 1

So, Beltran just wants a job in the US. Just like a few billion others. Why him and not them? Everybody can just come on in. No problem at all. Pretty soon everywhere in the US will look just like those charming slums in Brazil.

I love it when American's complain about immigration.

So ironic.

It was immigration that built the country - and if ever want a chance to push back China - open the doors to a minimum two million a year for the next ten years. Your economy will go through the roof.

Well said especially with a focus on Chinese immigration to the US, but it's more than that too.

Last November when Barack was in the PRChina he and Pres Xi Jinping signed a new immigration treaty that established for citizens of each country a new ten-year visa and also a new five-year education visa.

The US wants the kind of Chinese who want to migrate to the US and China wants resident immigrants from the USA in China. It is definitely a mutually beneficial deal and it is exactly and precisely the kind of immigration policy and program the US has preferred and consistently sought out and indeed welcomed.

• Like 1

President Reagan was supposed to have taken care of the illegal alien problem back in 1986. It didn't stop the inflow, who knows what will? Giving them all citizenship now won't stop the next 5 million from coming across the border.

What Obama done was illegal. He is simply buying votes for the Democrats. The sooner the white house door hits his behind the happier the world will be. He can go off and give speeches that no one attends.

The United States has been a nation of immigrants since before there was a United States.

Historically from the beginning the Democratic party and its predecessor party has represented immigrants at all levels, local, state, federal. The Democratic party is 20 years older than the Grand Old Party which with its predecessor party has always represented big business, expansion of the country's borders by war, exploitation of immigrants by setting immigrant groups against immigrant groups.

The present conflict is nothing new.

The immigration decision by the Supreme Court will occur during the first half of next year, which is a quadrennial election year of the president. The decision will come down during the Republican party primary contests for that party's nomination for prez. The R party is in the process of getting what it deserves which will indeed come on election day on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November 2016.

The R party in control of Congress needs between now and then to enact comprehensive immigration reform. The R party may surprise itself by doing the responsible and reasonable thing which is to enact the long overdue and sorely needed reforms. Then again, it just might not do that. It's much easier to believe pigs will fly first however. So in the next election the R party will get what it deserves from the electorate and I can't say too many people will get teary eyed about it.

I'm sorry...you have missed an important word in your title..."Illegal"...immigrants...

Don't give me all the sob stories about what good citizens they have become...they ARE NOT citizens...they knew the risks when coming to the US illegally and the illegal immigrants wanting a special amnesty make a mockery of the law abiding immigrants that go through legal channels to gain their legal citizen status...

No one is interested in sending them back home...which is what really should be done...but the hardened criminals must be weeded out and sent packing...while the others have to prove their allegiance to the US before getting a free pass...

All you bleeding heart liberal Dems...give me your best shot!

See the above.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel sorry for these people, but if legalized, they will take jobs that Americans need. Obama should never have tried this unconstitutional parlor trick and, hopefully the ruling in Texas will put a stop to it permanently.

Oh ye of little knowledge in the American judicial system. The USA government will file an appeal to a panel of federal judges in the state of Louisiana. If that court doesn't overturn the Texas ruling, the case will be presented to the US Supreme Court. Considering the number of women and children affected by the resulting processing slowdown from the Texas decision, the USSC could review and render a final ruling in 3 months.

So far as both legal and illegal immigrants taking jobs away from American citizens - it's a myth. Working immigrants have been instrumental to America's GDP growth over the decades, which has always led to more jobs to be filled.

You can read more at http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/07/01/the-stolen-job-myth/PT2ulTub6L2z2Pwq1g05FL/story.html

Historically from the beginning the Democratic party and its predecessor party has represented immigrants at all levels, local, state, federal. The Democratic party is 20 years older than the Grand Old Party which with its predecessor party has always represented big business, expansion of the country's borders by war, exploitation of immigrants by setting immigrant groups against immigrant groups.

"...has always represented big business, expansion of the country's borders by war, exploitation of immigrants by setting immigrant groups against immigrant groups."

If you think there's any substantial difference between the two major parties on the above points, you've been severely deluded.

Big business: In every major election, the U.S.'s many multinational corporations contribute to both parties, meaning the same corporation will donate to opposing candidates, thus ensuring the whoever wins, their own interests are secure.

Expansion of the country's borders by war: the republican party wasn't founded till 1854. Maybe take a look at a map to see how far the country's borders had already been expanded by then.

Exploitation/setting immigrants against each other: Read the Federalist Papers, particularly No.10, which was written by our fourth president. A large republic ensures that our country's lower rungs will almost always fail to exert their full majority influence. This may appear at first to deviate from what you said, but my point is: whether immigrant or native-born, setting commoners against each other is a trick the country's oligarchs have been playing the whole time. It's not truly particular to any one political party.

By asserting that it is, Publicus, and arguing against the one party while championing the other, you yourself are falling victim to the design.

A modern example is "Free Trade." Both parties helped implement NAFTA, and in consequence both D's and R's are guilty of turning the American labor movement on its head. The result has been that in order to compete with workers in developing countries, the U.S. entered a race to the bottom. Over the years, the only people willing to work for the reduced wages and benefits were the waves of immigrants only just arriving to the country. The same immigrants who now find themselves at odds with a society that blames them for what the government's policies directly caused. (On this last point, I'm speaking only of legal immigrants, not queue-jumpers, by the way.)

• Like 1

What Obama done was illegal. He is simply buying votes for the Democrats. The sooner the white house door hits his behind the happier the world will be. He can go off and give speeches that no one attends.

The United States has been a nation of immigrants since before there was a United States.

The present conflict is nothing new.

The immigration decision by the Supreme Court will occur during the first half of next year, which is a quadrennial election year of the president. The decision will come down during the Republican party primary contests for that party's nomination for prez. The R party is in the process of getting what it deserves which will indeed come on election day on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November 2016.

The R party in control of Congress needs between now and then to enact comprehensive immigration reform. The R party may surprise itself by doing the responsible and reasonable thing which is to enact the long overdue and sorely needed reforms. Then again, it just might not do that. It's much easier to believe pigs will fly first however. So in the next election the R party will get what it deserves from the electorate and I can't say too many people will get teary eyed about it.

Your knowledge of US politics is abysmal.

Btw, the US has comprehensive immigration rules.

No one can predict elections.

When a law is not a law, and how people feel is more important; ...moreover we have insane, greedy people, who support this with insane, greedy logic.

Disgusting! In the corporate world of investment, they call it a fire sale. The USA and what it once stood for... a fire sale. Penny's on the dollar. Queue up, people of any nation, view, religion, culture, etc. Get it while its available. Name your price and it's yours. That once beautiful, proud statue on Staten Island resembles either a prostitute or a rape victim more and more every day.

Simply my view, sad to say. It's not the country I grew up in anymore. By no means. It won't be long now.

Respect to anyone who disagrees with this.

The law reacts to the will of the people - that's why it's always changing and we're not stuck with medieval crimes and punishments.

The will of the people -

That's why slavery was abolished.

That's why women can vote.

That's why gay men can now live openly.

etc, etc

The day the will of the people is removed from law - law and order will die.

And if I clone 30,000 more of me, or offer freebies to people who give a damn about my country, but love the freebies, you and your philosophy are screwed. Don't bother... it's already in the oven.

Thanks for your response, and forgive me for being disgruntled.