Want to get my dog desexed, but having second thoughts.

giddyup

Our male Schitzu cross is 9 months old and is starting with the leg humping, so thought it might be time to have him desexed. So took him to the vet this morning to make an appointment because the dog has to go 12 hours without food and water before the op. The vet wanted to do a blood test (500 baht) first, in case he was a bleeder and to check his liver and kidneys as well, in case he has a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. They also asked us to sign a waiver in case of any complications or mistakes on their part, which was a bit of a worry. I know this is a pretty standard operation, but the reason I'm having second thoughts is because the missus loves him to death and I would be in deep caca if anything went wrong. She's quite happy to tolerate the leg humping, me, not so much. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

• Like 1

Leg humping (from a dog or a bitch) equates to dominance in the dog World. The dog is displaying dominance over you. In other words, your dog is the pack leader, not you. You might want to address that situation before having your dog neutered. There are plenty of books giving advice on this but better still is for you to go to youtube and search for Cesar Milan/Dog Whisperer. Good luck!

• Like 2

Leg humping (from a dog or a bitch) equates to dominance in the dog World. The dog is displaying dominance over you. In other words, your dog is the pack leader, not you. You might want to address that situation before having your dog neutered. There are plenty of books giving advice on this but better still is for you to go to youtube and search for Cesar Milan/Dog Whisperer. Good luck!

Dog humping as a form of displaying dominance is only one reason they do it. It can be, and most often is, nothing more than a sexual reaction. A Google search will confirm this. However, there are other reasons to get a dog neutered, like keeping the dog population down for a start, there's also less chance of the dog developing prostate cancer.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

giddyup,Vet is taking the piss.

NO blood tests needed or 12 hour fasting

Its a really simple procedure, pretty painless

Dog will be more calm and loving and unless you plan to breed or let him have regular sex, its best to desex.

I suspected the blood test may be nothing more than a money spinner. I have found the vets here are always trying to flog you stuff you don't need, like antibiotics for a small cut.

Dog will be more calm and loving and unless you plan to breed or let him have regular sex, its best to desex.

I suspected the blood test may be nothing more than a money spinner. I have found the vets here are always trying to flog you stuff you don't need, like antibiotics for a small cut.

You got it, best to change Vets, who will not try to scam every baht out of you.

Average price is around 800-1000 for a male, though government Vets do it for free.

You got it, best to change Vets, who will not try to scam every baht out of you.

Average price is around 800-1000 for a male, though government Vets do it for free.

I have been quoted 950 baht from two different vets, but then they want to charge extra if he has anaesthetic via a mask instead of a needle. Suggesting the mask is a far safer way to go. Haven't had a lot of dealing with the vets in Pattaya, the dog is only 9 months old, but from what I've experienced they seem to be intent in extracting as much as they can.

I have been quoted 950 baht from two different vets, but then they want to charge extra if he has anaesthetic via a mask instead of a needle. Suggesting the mask is a far safer way to go. Haven't had a lot of dealing with the vets in Pattaya, the dog is only 9 months old, but from what I've experienced they seem to be intent in extracting as much as they can.

To be honest with you, in all my years of pet ownership i have never ever seen any surgery done with mask for a dog.

In Pattaya, i had puppy undergo major surgery like broken spine, broken legs, broken mouth and it was injection, no one ever offered a mask,, not to mention its pretty much impossible to put a mask on a dogs face.

I have used cheapest Vets to most expansive one's like Thonglor and again, never a mask.

One of my old dogs needed oxygen mask and it was very hard to get it right,and again it was not a mask but a tube blowing oxygen with plastic wrapped around her head to retain some of it.

Konying When I say a "mask" that's what the vet told me, I haven't seen it so it may be something designed for a dog's muzzle, I don't know. Anyway, I'll opt for the "normal" anaesthetic.

thumbsup.gif

Yep think again Vet was taking the piss,

Next time ask Vet to show you the mask, i am certain it does not exist, with every dog having different size and shape nose, its impossible and have not been invented yetlaugh.png

Really do not hesitate, the benefits outweigh the negatives and pup will be up and running in less than 24 hours, unless you have a terrorist like one of mine, who kept "removing" his stitchesbiggrin.png

Occasionally the Government vets come around our area and by loud speaker vans, ask to bring your dog to the local Wat for castration. I had my dogs done. But you have to provide your own brickscoffee1.gif Un-neutered male dogs will be off like a shot, roaming around looking for bitches when their urge takes them.

Now the vet rings with the results of the dog's blood test and say his liver function isn't normal and they can't do the desexing until he completes a course of medication.

Edited by giddyup

Spaying ? what is the avrage cost of this procedure here in the Pattaya area? I was quoted a price of $400.US per dog is ths aucurate? The reason I ask there are 5 feral dogs in my neighborhood nd I'd like to keep it that low.

I found the $400 to be outrageous any opinions on this.

Now the vet rings with the results of the dog's blood test and say his liver function isn't normal and they can't do the desexing until he completes a course of medication.

I have a very similar story from Phuket. Pay close attention. Soi dog hangs out at my girls shop. Great pup, friendly doesnt bark, doesnt bother people at all. As a little time goes by the dog starts getting sick losing weight no appetite. Finally after weeks of trying to get the dog going its apparent it needs vet attention or it will die. Scoop it up take to vet and one of the first things they do is an ultra sound and check the uterus before taking and analyzing blood work. Now im not a smart man but I know better than what is happening. Long story short its got "cancer" parasites and "liver not working". After several weeks of in and out hospital, every other day visits and expensive liver medicine doc says not working. I was suppose to continue the liver medicine and when finished start Chemo for the "growth" they "found". Finally had enough of the fleecing and never took the mutt back. Dog is in great shape, fat, dumb, and happy. Actually looks better now than ever. Shes a great dog and happy I spent all the money.

Your story about liver not working is same! That is unless all the dogs in Thailand have same problem. Go find another hospital. Problem in my area that was the best hospital....

Edited by 2fishin2

I have a very similar story from Phuket. Pay close attention. Soi dog hangs out at my girls shop. Great pup, friendly doesnt bark, doesnt bother people at all. As a little time goes by the dog starts getting sick losing weight no appetite. Finally after weeks of trying to get the dog going its apparent it needs vet attention or it will die. Scoop it up take to vet and one of the first things they do is an ultra sound and check the uterus before taking and analyzing blood work. Now im not a smart man but I know better than what is happening. Long story short its got "cancer" parasites and "liver not working". After several weeks of in and out hospital, every other day visits and expensive liver medicine doc says not working. I was suppose to continue the liver medicine and when finished start Chemo for the "growth" they "found". Finally had enough of the fleecing and never took the mutt back. Dog is in great shape, fat, dumb, and happy. Actually looks better now than ever. Shes a great dog and happy I spent all the money.

Your story about liver not working is same! That is unless all the dogs in Thailand have same problem. Go find another hospital. Problem in my area that was the best hospital....

I'll be interested to see what they want to charge me for the "liver medicine". Needless to say, I'll take the results of the blood test and get another opinion, but who do you trust?

What ive experienced is you dont trust vets in general. That liver med will run you around 2500 baht a shot! Ask yourself this, why were they checking for this before such a simple operation? No western vet does. And after I just told you about my fleecing, you still consider your doc to be legit? Dont do it.

Twenty+ quid, Thirty+ dollars is peanuts to get a dog neutered with anaesthetic.

Having a dog neutered or spayed is the right thing to do unless you are into breeding.

The cost is a personal matter - if on a budget go to a government clinic.

If you want the best quality go to somewhere like Thonglor hospital - fantastic service - and more importantly after service.

We took our two dogs there - yes with blood tests which are very normal preop.

Later we had a problem at 2AM not related to the operation - a quick call and we got an on duty expert vet helping us out - try that with a government clinic.