What Thai habits charm ‘Dek Farang’?

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: A video clip posted by a 29-year-old farang resident in Bangkok has become a talk of the town after he described three habits of Thais he found charming.

Jack Brown, who called himself Dek Farang (farang kid) in Thai, posted the clip on his Jack Brown Facebook wall on Thursday. The clip has been viewed more than 16,600 times by Saturday morning and liked by more 1,500 Facebook users. It has been shared by more than 140 users.

Brown, who has been staying in Bangkok for more than four months and has visited Thailand several times earlier, has 67,921 Facebook followers.

He recorded the clip in Thai.

The first habit he found charming is the use of water for cleaning after Thais answer the call of nature in toilet rooms.

Brown said although he has been trying to adapt himself to Thai culture, he still doesn’t know how to use water in a container in toilet rooms. He always has to ask for cleaning paper. Sometimes, the rooms have no water dippers so he was confused what to do with the water.

The second habit he found charming and amazing was that Thais rarely peel off plastic wrappers from their car seats, TVs and sofas after they bought and used them. He advised his clip viewers to buy a bigger TVs than what they initially planned because their plastic wrappers and stickers would block their view.

Brown said he is now getting used to doing the third habit himself. Thai men like to partially lift up their t-shirt under hot weather to expose their tummy.

He was startled to see his friend doing it for the first time and his friend explained that his tummy became hot. “At that time, I wondered why only the tummy. The whole body was hot here in Thailand,” Brown said.

Most Facebook users did not find the clip offending but they found the way Brown was telling it was really cute.

• Like 1

Dek Farang is another one of those digital itinerants

Yes, and one itinerant that seems to seek out squat toilets without the essential bum gun attached. I hope when necessary, he shouts for paper before he's started his business. Not sure where he's spending his time though, perhaps among the hill tribes?. My wife says he seems to speak Thai quite well. Very good.

We can rest assured he wears his shirt outside his pants belt, since the vast majority of non-formally dressed Thais do the same.

• Like 2

Yes, and one itinerant that seems to seek out squat toilets without the essential bum gun attached. I hope when necessary, he shouts for paper before he's started his business. Not sure where he's spending his time though, perhaps among the hill tribes?. My wife says he seems to speak Thai quite well. Very good.

We can rest assured he wears his shirt outside his pants belt, since the vast majority of non-formally dressed Thais do the same.

I think The Plonker is half Swiss half Thai

I think The Plonker is half Swiss half Thai
Nope Mr Toad He is 100% wa nk er
  • Like 1

I think it is the same guy who did a clip on that Thai lady in England, that was saying bad stuff about the monarchy. Thailand was trying to get her back after canceling her passport as she hadn't got a British one yet. My wife enjoyed that and had a good laugh at some of the things he was saying about her. His thai is very good.

It is clearly nonsense Thai news that wastes the public's time. Shame on the newspaper for printing such tripe. Secondly, the description of the video is essentially a putdown of Thais and it is surprising that Thais were not offended. Maybe it's the same 16,000 Thais who still have the stickers on those TVs.

Actually I was shown these video clips by Thai friends a couple of days ago. They were praising his Thai language skills and found his comments quite humorous. So this is "news", that's really what's going on in Thailand at the moment. Furthermore this guy makes an effort to speak Thai, to interact with Thai people. How many people here complain about bad relation between Thai people and foreigners. This guy makes foreigners look good, he should be thanked.

Is Thai Visa right to post a thread about it ? Definitively ! I'm living in Thailand, I read ThaiVisa to have first hand news about what's going on here, what Thai people are reading, watching and talking about, all these stuffs that I can't get directly because I don't speak or read Thai (yet). I believe there should be more reports like that because frankly I find the level of ThaiVisa posters' knowledge and understanding of their host country quite depressing. The negative comments here unfortunately partly explain the dubious reputation ThaiVisa has amongst the long term expat community.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Good for him. he knows the locals eat this stuff ip. Now the Thais can feel proud again that farang love Thailand and they don't need to think about police shakedowns, tuktuk scams, taxi scams, farang falling off balconies, foreigners landing on hotel roofs straight from the ocean, foreigners being killed on their bikes, etc etc etc and ETC.

• Like 1