Important changes to the UK A1 Level English tests for settlement visas

The British Govt has announced major changes to the A1 testing requirement from 6th April 2015. There is a transitional period, until 5th November 2015 for those who take one of the current tests before 5th April 2015.

There seems to be just one approved tester in the UK – Trinity, and one overseas – IELTS. The IELTS website says this :

New language testing arrangements for UK visas: IELTS to continue to play leading role

· - The UK government has announced important changes to Secure English Language Tests (SELT) for visa purposes;

· - IELTS and IELTS Life Skills have been approved for UK visas that require proof of English language level;

· - The new test–IELTS Life Skills–will be introduced for people who need to prove their speaking and listening skills at level A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference.

The UK government has announced important changes to language testing for visa applications, reducing the number of tests accepted for visa purposes and bringing in new requirements for the way the tests will be administered.

IELTS – the world’s most popular test of English for higher education and global migration – has been approved for all UK visas that require applicants to provide proof of their level of English. This continues the important role which IELTS has long played in language testing for immigration in the UK and other countries, including Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Under the new arrangements, IELTS tests for UK visa applications will be offered throughout the year in more than 100 key locations throughout the world, and a new test – IELTS Life Skills – will be introduced for people who need to prove their speaking and listening skills at level A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

IELTS tests for visa purposes can only be taken at authorised centres and the centre must follow procedures specified by the UK government. When a test is booked, the customer must specify what the test is for and ensure that the centre is authorised to run tests for this purpose. A list of the authorised IELTS test centres can be found on www.ielts.org.

IELTS tests for UK Visas and Immigration are managed by the IELTS SELT Consortia, which comprises British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment.

IELTS, which is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment, has played a key role in language testing for immigration purposes throughout its 25 year history and is recognised by more than 9,000 organisations around the world including universities and employers in many countries, as well as by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies. More than 2.5 million IELTS tests were taken in 2014 in more than 140 countries.

For further information on the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) announcement, please visit: www.gov.uk. Or the IELTS website : www.ielts.org

There seem to be 8 test centres in Thailand, in BangkokChinag Mai and Khon Kaen. There will be 48 tests a year, only on stated dates. More detail can be found here :

http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_search/search_results.aspx

The cost quoted by British Council in Bangkok is 6,500 THB

This is the amended list of approved testers from 6th April 2015 :

Approved_Secure_English_Language_Tests_from_6th_April_2015.pdf

Tony M

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

As I read this Tony, applicants taking a test to meet the Settlement Visa requirements will still need to complete the reading and writing components of the test if they take it in Thailand, even though they are not required by the UKVI.

Some applicants might find the unnecessary tests, totalling two hours, quite stressful, it's a pity that the UKVI didn't address this when they re let the contracts.

I believe those visiting the UK prior to the application can still take the Trinity test, this only requires that applicants prove their skills in the required areas and takes six minutes, though a tad more expensive at £150.

An update on locations and costs :

There are test centres at the locations below. I have also put the quoted costs.

• IDP Education Services - Test Fee
    • Bangkok - 5,900 BAHT
    • Chiang Mai - 5,900 BAHT
    • Khon Kaen - 6,500 BAHT
    • Hat Yai - 6,500 BAHT

*Online Registration is available.
For more information;
Tony M

As I read this Tony, applicants taking a test to meet the Settlement Visa requirements will still need to complete the reading and writing components of the test if they take it in Thailand, even though they are not required by the UKVI.

Some applicants might find the unnecessary tests, totalling two hours, quite stressful, it's a pity that the UKVI didn't address this when they re let the contracts.

I believe those visiting the UK prior to the application can still take the Trinity test, this only requires that applicants prove their skills in the required areas and takes six minutes, though a tad more expensive at £150.

Where can this version of the test be taken in Bangkok?

Where can this version of the test be taken in Bangkok?

As I read it, and I stand to be corrected, the A1 level test cannot be taken in Thailand, only the test that requires the applicant to take the reading and writing element, so whilst the applicant has to take the reading and writing parts of the test, those elements don't need to be passed.

As I say I stand to be corrected on this point, maybe Tony M can clarify?

I also cannot say if the KET test at level A1 acceptable after 5 April 2015, but reading through the initial post it would seem that even if it's not, providing the test was taken before 5 April 2015 it would be acceptable for applications made before 5 November under the transitional arrangements.

The Wife just took her test at Vantage last weekend, so prior to the 5th April cut-off however the phrase 'transition period' concerns me slightly. Does this mean that she has until 5th November to take the new test? Or will her result (due next week) stand?

Mad Dog, on 23 Feb 2015 - 13:26, said:

The Wife just took her test at Vantage last weekend, so prior to the 5th April cut-off however the phrase 'transition period' concerns me slightly. Does this mean that she has until 5th November to take the new test? Or will her result (due next week) stand?

As I read it, her test will remain valid providing she applies for her visa before the November date.

Okay, thanks. We've enough stress at the moment with putting together The Wife's application without further changes!! As I said, she only took the test last week and she was concerned that she'd have to retake and spend another 6,000B.

Are there any courses you can go on to make it easier to understand UKVI rules and regulations? Instead of listing the various tests, I'd find it a hell of a lot easier if they just listed the visa/immigration categories and beside them listed the relevant tests.

So presumably this is the nail in the coffin for BULATS.

"Anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5th April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the Transitional Approved Tests list which can be found at this link [insert link]"

My wife sat BULATS for her initial visa in 2003 and the earliest she can apply for FLR is 14th November 2015, 28 days before her first 30 months are up, which misses the transitional period by 9 days. Just great.

Edited by TCA

Are there any courses you can go on to make it easier to understand UKVI rules and regulations? Instead of listing the various tests, I'd find it a hell of a lot easier if they just listed the visa/immigration categories and beside them listed the relevant tests.

So presumably this is the nail in the coffin for BULATS.

"Anyone who has taken a previously approved test on or before 5th April 2015 may still use it in a UK immigration application until 5th November 2015 providing the test is one of those detailed in the Transitional Approved Tests list which can be found at this link [insert link]"

My wife sat BULATS for her initial visa in 2003 and the earliest she can apply for FLR is 14th November 2015, 28 days before her first 30 months are up, which misses the transitional period by 9 days. Just great.

TCA I think, and I hope, what you are saying about your wife's situation is not quite right.

My understanding, and like others I stand to be corrected, is that these new tests are only for the initial settlement visa applications. Your wife is already here in the UK and therefore I think her BULATS test pass will still be valid for FLR under the s.32 clarification we talked about in earlier posts.

Tony/OG - any thoughts?

Thanks for the up-to-date news again!

Regarding this part:

Under the new arrangements, IELTS tests for UK visa applications will be offered throughout the year in more than 100 key locations throughout the world, and a new test – IELTS Life Skills – will be introduced for people who need to prove their speaking and listening skills at level A1 or B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).

I'm just trying to understand what this "Life Skills" test is.

My fiancée was going to take the A1 speaking/listening test in London (Trinity), we'd agreed 11th April and I was just about to book the test but wandered onto this site first!

She'll be here from the last weekend of March, so if we bring the test forward to 4th April (Easter weekend, yay!) then we'll be ok (visa application will be in July)? I'm looking at the Infotech exam centre although Euston might also be an option if I can get my head around their website.

To be honest I'm struggling to understand the announcement. Is it an extra requirement (Life skills), and if so what does that entail (well, even if it sounds obvious...!) Or are they just changing/expanding the list of providers?

I think that the Home Office might have been trying to simplify English language testing, but they don't seem to have managed that. I am already confused !

Firstly, I think it would have been a good idea to introduce a test that meets the requirements for visa applications. That is, a listening and speaking test. That they haven't done so speaks volumes about their claimed "customer care".

Secondly, I will try to answer some of the questions above, but may confuse you further. To answer TCA and durhamboy, I have no idea. The Home Office have previously given assurances that tests taken for visa applications will still be valid for the FLR stage, but it doesn't seem to have been confirmed in the announced changes. 7x7 knows more about the FLR and ILR side of things than me.

To answer fbf, it looks to me that "Life Skills" is the name of IELTS organisation test for the A1 Level. It is called the IELTS LIFE SKILLS test. The Trinity test seems to be called "Graded Examinations in Spoken English". They appear to be the only approved tests at A1 level from 6th April 2015.

The Trinity test can only be taken in the UK. Overseas applicants will need to take the IELTS test. The approved providers in Thailand are British Council and IELTS IDP.

British Council will be also be providing the IELTS. test Their tests in Bangkok will at the Landmark Hotel, Sukhumvit. The test will be in two parts. This is from their website :

• Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.

IELTS IDP offer their test all in one day, at the CP Tower in Silom Road. They say, on their website :

All candidates are tested in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking Modules. There is an option of either Academic or General training in the Reading and Writing Modules. It takes about two and a half hours on the morning of the test to complete the Listening, Reading and Writing components. The Speaking component takes less 11-14 minutes and is conducted during the afternoon of test day. The candidate must reserve the whole day for the examination.

The IELTS IDP website then says, in addition, :

Only at IDP Bangkok (Saturday test), you may choose to do speaking test either on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

I am further confused by the information given on both sites concerning two types of IELTS A1 test. For some test dates ( and there will be 48 tests dates in each year) an applicant is given the choice of either an "Academic" test or a "General Training" test. I couldn't find anything on the British Council website about the difference between the "Academic" test and the "General Training" test, but the IELTS website says this :

Which Module should I sit for, Academic or General Training ?

The Academic version of IELTS is suitable for people planning to undertake higher education/university studies. General Training Module is suitable for candidates planning to undertake non-academic training or work experience, or for immigration purposes.

It is the responsibility of the candidate to inform the test centre whether they wish to take the Academic or General Training Modules. Centres are not responsible for providing this information. The general Training module is not offered at all test administrations. It must be noted that it may not be possible to change module later or on the day of the test.

Confused ? I am.

Tony M

Thanks Tony!

To answer fbf, it looks to me that "Life Skills" is the name of IELTS organisation test for the A1 Level. It is called the IELTS LIFE SKILLS test. The Trinity test seems to be called "Graded Examinations in Spoken English". They appear to be the only approved tests at A1 level from 6th April 2015.

The Trinity test can only be taken in the UK. Overseas applicants will need to take the IELTS test. The approved providers in Thailand are British Council and IELTS IDP.

So from this, can I take it that for anyone intending to take the Trinity test while in the UK, it's "business as usual"? i.e. my fiancée can still take a test on 11th April (which will be a bit easier).

I would hope that pretty much by definition the IELETS Life Skills will be at a level and content that will actually benefit the applicant. It would seem sensible to offer a short course to those with weaker language skills where they will learn something useful. No point whatsoever in putting applicants through a business related course IMO.

The devil is going to be in the detail!

Tony, I tried to open your link to www.gov.uk but was unable to find the detailed announcement. Could you please post an expanded link so I can read the detail. Thanks.

I'm a bit reluctant to comment further without reading the detail however I still think that it would be absurd if these new rules also applied to FLR.

E.g. my wife can apply for FLR in October 2015 at the earliest so she is ok because that is within the transition period. Many others (TCA wife?) can only apply after November 2015 and therefore will need a new test if these rules apply to FLR.

Also what about those who passed tests from providers other than BULATS and TOEIC - will they be required to pass new tests?

Surely the purpose of these new rules is to tighten up procedures for people taking tests to come to the UK not to penalise those who are already here and use English everyday for 2 years since passing their original test!!! Isn't that why they made the s.32 clarification?

Edited by durhamboy

The detailed announcement wasn't very detailed . This is pretty much all it said :

If the visa you’re applying for asks you to prove your English language ability and you’re taking a test:

• on or before 5 April 2015, you should use ‘List of approved tests and providers: up to 5 April 2015’
  • on or after 6 April 2015, you should use ‘List of approved tests and providers: from 6 April 2015’

This is the link again:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-applying-for-uk-visa-approved-english-language-tests

Tony M

Tony, thanks for posting the expanded list. Actually I did find it before but thought I was missing something! To say that the announcement "wasn't very detailed" must be the understatement of the century!

It is absolutely appalling how these bureaucrats are treating people. Either that or the people that drafted this have no idea of the complications and ramifications of what they are saying.

It is so lacking in detail that we can't even read between the lines - there aren't any! So we just have to make assumptions and second guess what they exactly mean.

So with that caveat in mind I'll say again that I don't think this applies to FLR applications. My reasons for saying that, apart from the obvious absurdity of it, are :-

1. There is no mention of FLR applications.

2. There is no mention of the s.32 clarification of rules published about 3 months ago. If these rules applied to FLR then s.32 would have to be repealed and surely even these numbskulls would mention that if they changed those rules.

For those that don't know s.32 was a statement by the Home Office that they would accept test passes from struck off test providers where THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN ACCEPTED IN A PRIOR VISA APPLICATION e.g. in a settlement visa application so they could still be relied upon for an FLR application.

As I've said all along - these tests, whilst they may have a laudable objective, are an absolute shambles!

I hope you're right db. My worry is that the fact that there's no mention of FLR, could mean this is a "catch-all" announcement. I really don't think they've considered all permutations of visa applicants and where they are in the process. They do mention transitional arrangements for previously approved tests but then attach a use-by date, which is sure to catch out more than just my wife.

A friend's fiancee took the Trinity A1 speaking and listening test in the UK last year. In and out in 5 minutes. Little more than what's your name, where do you come from and how many brothers and sisters do you have. Now priced at £145 I see. Could do without the expense or the hassle.

Yes TCA we can only guess at what the powers that be actually mean. Pathetic isn't it?

Regarding Trinity, at least their test is more in line with the original objective of the test i.e. to converse in simple sentences. The other tests abroad are not fit for purpose. They are quite complicated and require reading and writing to be taken. It cost me about £500 to get my wife through it. She is very intelligent, ran 3 businesses and previously learnt German and Japanese yet she still struggled. Therefore to me a simple test at Trinity for £145 is a bargain!

• Like 1

Pathetic is right db. I agree completely about the tests previously offered in Thailand. BULATS, being a business-orientated test, was ridiculously complex and definitely unsuitable for gauging competency in basic speaking and listening. I gave up coaching my wife when the sample tests went into the realms of sales targets, budgets, forecasts etc.... We were lucky my wife got through it (albeit scraping through with minimal grades), so I feel your pain. As you said, the simplicity of the Trinity test is the only upside if we have to go through it again.

Would like to get clarification on the section 32/FLR quandary, but not quite sure of where to turn, or just forget it for 6 months in case it changes again!

TCA, like you I'm just going to wait and see what happens whilst obviously monitoring this forum. The one good thing as far as I can tell is that as from January this year people in the same boat as us, i.e. coming under the new rules, must have started to apply for FLR. So far in this forum no one has posted about any problems with their English certificates obtained in Thailand e.g. BULATS and TOEIC. Maybe it's too early but I think it's a hopeful sign.

Makes me wonder with this myriad of changes to the rules whether the people that approve FLR applications really know all the rules themselves!

My fiancé is at the stage of taking a months lessons to improve her English.

She will take the test later (during new tests) in the year.

We plan for her to get another visit visa to UK during Summer.

I don't like the tests in Bangkok that included the unnecessary reading and writing.

I don't like how they are accessed over computers.

So I am wondering can we take the test for speaking and listening in UK at Trinity in the Summer?

Seems the best option in my opinion.

A quick question about the ID requirements for the English test - I'm going to book a test for my fiancée at Trinity in April, as this seems the easiest route. However, I just realised her English test will be in her maiden name and her visa application will be in her married name (she'll get it changed quickly first). Is that going to be a problem?

Also, because I worry way too much, when I went through the test booking process, it asked for her ID details (passport info) and they make it clear this is all very strict and must match exactly. Then, on the confirmation page, it shows all the filled in details, including "Title" (ie. Mr/Miss/Mrs etc.) - and yet there's nowhere in the booking process to enter this information! They charge £10 to check the submitted information in advance, but I didn't want to pay for a blatant flaw in their website, because otherwise it's easy to just copy and triple-check the spellings and passport number. Instead, I emailed them and they said I don't need the title field. Just FYI, in case anyone else books with Trinity.

Well The Wife just got 99% for her test at Vantage which is a Pass with Distinction. Am I right in thinking that she won't need to take another English test in the U.K. when she applies for her passport as a result of her high score?

For IELTS you should do the General Training test, not Academic. Only band 4.5 is required which is not difficult.

My school in Bangkok is an IELTS prep centre and we're about to start marketing spouse visa classes!

One problem is that there don't seem to be that many General Training test dates in a year ( maybe 7 or 8 only), and that will not be very convenient for many test takers.

If your school ( your school ?) is starting to do prep for these tests, perhaps you can explain the difference between the Academic test and the General Training test ? What is the difference in difficulty ? Why are there two tests anyway ?

For IELTS you should do the General Training test, not Academic. Only band 4.5 is required which is not difficult.

My school in Bangkok is an IELTS prep centre and we're about to start marketing spouse visa classes!

One problem is that there don't seem to be that many General Training test dates in a year ( maybe 7 or 8 only), and that will not be very convenient for many test takers.

If your school ( your school ?) is starting to do prep for these tests, perhaps you can explain the difference between the Academic test and the General Training test ? What is the difference in difficulty ? Why are there two tests anyway ?

There are General Training (GT) tests twice a month in Bangkok. In Chiang Mai, Khong Kaen and Hat Yai they are less frequent, although at least one every two months.

The Academic Test is for academic purposes, i.e. university entrance. The Academic Reading Test uses academic texts, whereas the General Training Reading Test uses magazine texts, brochures and other everyday reading material. The Writing test for GT is a letter and a simple essay, whereas the Academic Writing test is analysing data and an academic essay. The Listening and Speaking tests are the same for GT and Academic tests.