F-16 down in Lopburi

jdinasia

Aviation Safety Network

20 February 2015 at 13:13 by AFP: A Thai military officer was killed Friday when his F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training exercise in a central province, an official said. The plane crashed at around 3 pm (0800 GMT) in Khok Samrong district of central Lopburi province. [At approximate co-ordinates: 15°4′11″N 100°43′26″E]

"The pilot could not eject himself out of the plane in time," Lopburi governor Thanakom Chongchira told AFP by telephone
Air Vice Marshal Montol Suchookorn the body of the 30-year-old pilot - Flt Lt Noppanon Niwasanon - was found in the wreckage and air force officers were investigating the cause of the crash. The F-16 was taking part in missile firing training in neighbouring Chai Badan district

Thailand has a problem.

Most, if not all, of their military equipment from guns, to trucks to tanks and jets have been provided by the USA.

Until or unless Thailand becomes a democracy again, the U.S. is no longer providing equipment or parts needed to maintain the equipment.

As time goes by, more and more equipment will fail due to maintenance problems....lack of parts.

Thailand should consider this,

unless China and North Korea are willing and capable to provide parts...or new equipment.

Yes I am now sure they "drive" as well on roads as in the sky...

<deleted> is wrong with you? A person dies defending his country and you want to equate it to the way Thais drive on the road? Can you be any more of a jerk? Military pilots are professionals, highly trained in skills flying fighter aircraft.

And what are you trained in? Spouting off at the mouth and sitting on your fat ass on a barstool? Making obscene disrespectful comments must be your forte.

Don't hold back. Tell him how you really feel.

Thailand has a problem.

Most, if not all, of their military equipment from guns, to trucks to tanks and jets have been provided by the USA.

Until or unless Thailand becomes a democracy again, the U.S. is no longer providing equipment or parts needed to maintain the equipment.

As time goes by, more and more equipment will fail due to maintenance problems....lack of parts.

unless China and North Korea are willing and capable to provide parts...or new equipment.

Fairly inaccurate.

Many of the Royal Thai Airforce fleet were made in the US. The US is not the only source of parts to maintain the US made aircraft. The US will certainly assure parts remain available even when they cannot make direct sales or gifts of them.

The Gripens are the newest fighters they have purchased.

The RTARF (supreme command) has been making purchases from countries other than the US for quite some time.

• Like 2

Thailand has a problem.

Absolutely incorrect. The most modern aircraft fighters the Thai Air Force has are Swedish Grippens, one of the most modern aircraft in the world today. Thats just one example....

• Like 1

<deleted> is wrong with you? A person dies defending his country and you want to equate it to the way Thais drive on the road? Can you be any more of a jerk? Military pilots are professionals, highly trained in skills flying fighter aircraft.

And what are you trained in? Spouting off at the mouth and sitting on your fat ass on a barstool? Making obscene disrespectful comments must be your forte.

Don't go flying (pun intended) off the handle. The air safety record of the Thai military leaves much to be desired. In the last six months FIFTY PERCENT of incidents involving aircraft have been about the military or police and that doesn't include this accident See

http://www.thai-aviation.net/files/Air_Accidents.pdf

Thailand has a problem.

Absolutely incorrect. The most modern aircraft fighters the Thai Air Force has are Swedish Grippens, one of the most modern aircraft in the world today. Thats just one example....

I do not claim to be an aviation expert, but..

I am pretty sure the F-16 ( the one that went down ) is an American aircraft.

It was not a Swedish jet.

Don't go flying (pun intended) off the handle. The air safety record of the Thai military leaves much to be desired. In the last six months FIFTY PERCENT of incidents involving aircraft have been about the military or police and that doesn't include this accident See

http://www.thai-aviation.net/files/Air_Accidents.pdf

Military aircraft have higher accident rates than civilian carriers. They have far different missions.

• Like 1

RIP. I hope next time Thailand will buy SU 34 or SU 35

Maybe a Cessna would be more appropriate?

Has Thailand ever engaged in an air war?

Not sure if it is true, but was told today by a guy well versed in military matters that no Thai aircraft carriers have aircraft on them now..not suitable to fly.

Wonder how that submarine thing is working out for them??

Thailand has a problem.

F-16 is a Lockheed Martin (USA) 40 year old design.....

Not sure if it is true, but was told today by a guy well versed in military matters that no Thai aircraft carriers have aircraft on them now..not suitable to fly.

Not on topic but Thailand only has 1 aircraft carrier. It has aircraft (helicopters).

No submarine has been purchased.

New attack aircraft have been ordered according to Janes

Thailand has a problem.

You said most if not all their aircraft is from US. Myself an another individual pointed out to you that your statement is incorrect and provided factual evidence to back this up.

Nothing more nothing less in our statements.

And no, the aircraft that went down is not US, its Thai.

Thailand has a problem.

You said most if not all their aircraft is from US. Myself an another individual pointed out to you that your statement is incorrect and provided factual evidence to back this up.

Nothing more nothing less in our statements.

And no, the aircraft that went down is not US, its Thai.

A Thai F-16......blink.png .. A USA built plane.....The Saab things, a few, are a new acquisition...smile.png

Not on topic but Thailand only has 1 aircraft carrier. It has aircraft (helicopters).

Submarines have been purchased but not delivered due of political instability...if Thailand will have a stable government for 8 years Germany will deliver them.

Btw does anybody know where Thailands fighting jet pilots getting trained? Our ones still in Canada and in the US.

Submarines have been purchased but not delivered due of political instability...if Thailand will have a stable government for 8 years Germany will deliver them.

Btw does anybody know where Thailands fighting jet pilots getting trained? Our ones still in Canada and in the US.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/01/thailand-eyes-submarine-fleet/

No, no submarines have been purchased.

The Swedes are training pilots for the Gripens. I believe that F-16 and F-5's pilots are trained here. I am not sure where they are doing advanced fighter pilot programs currently.

The F-16/5 pilot training is all Thai. There are exchange programs with the US but, the responsibility for training is all RTAF (royal thai air force). The Thais do conduct training several times a year with US, Aus, Sing, Indo and Indian air forces. The Grippens have been in inventory for several years now. Having worked with Thai pilots for 6 years at Korat, I have the utmost respect for them. RIP brother.

• Like 2

Rate Topic star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png3 votes

Thailand has an aircraft carrier with no aircraft
Started by webfact, Today, 07:30
This was posted on TV this morning.
Thought you might find it interesting.