Adsl In Bangkok For Small Network

simon43

I've got several computers in my apartment and I want to connect them via ADSL to the internet. But I want them to have static IP public addresses so I can connect to them remotely when I'm away from my apartment.

These computers are not for work/office use, but residential *, so I'm trying to find the best ADSL provider deal (if available), that will provide a solution.

* For your interest, I am a radio enthusiast (not radio amateur). There is a service at www.dxtuners.com which allows people with similar hobby to connect remotely via the internet to radio receivers located at various global locations. My intention is to install such a radio receiver in Bangkok so that others can connect to it for the enjoyment of their hobby etc etc. So one computer will be dedicated to this use. The 2 other computers are my own home PC and a laptop that my GF uses.

cheers

Simon

Pacific Internet offers fixed IP DSL for something like 18K I believe (unlimited 512/256), non fixed IP is about 10K. If there is anyway you can avoide having fixed IP it'll be cheaper. I have a VB script that finds your existing public IP address via www.whatismyip.com and sends it out. Lemme know if U need.

Good Luck

18k?? Bad price!! I only need the fixed IP for the radio connection, not for my own computers. I would use Asianet or similar at 4500baht if it wern't for this radio requirement. Problem is that it is a hobby thing for which I'm not inclined to pay out big money :o

An alternative is to maybe install the radio at my server hosting in Internet Thailand. I have fixed IPs there. But I then need to put the antenna on the roof of the building (which might not go down too well with them...)

I will double-check with the radio bods to see if they really need a fixed IP (which I think they do...)

Simon

I've got several computers in my apartment and I want to connect them via ADSL to the internet. But I want them to have static IP public addresses so I can connect to them remotely when I'm away from my apartment.

* For your interest, I am a radio enthusiast (not radio amateur). There is a service at www.dxtuners.com which allows people with similar hobby to connect remotely via the internet to radio receivers located at various global locations.

If you need only one computer on a static IP, then you can simulate it by using an DNS server outside in the internet.

You just take the cheap dynamic ADSL, this would be enough.

Same is running in my home in Tokyo since years for IRLP computer connections as radio-amateur gateway - You might check my homepage out that.

What OS are you using? Windows? or what...... what about the other computers...

what kind of routing do you expect?

Please let me know more, for sure can give you some advice.

Johann

7J1AQB Radio-Amateur-Station in Tokyo

• 4 weeks later...

Do you really need a static IP address, or just a domain name that points to it...

i.e. You could get by with a dynamic IP address by signing up to something like dyndns.org where you configure your router (or PC) to register your IP address with them every time it is changed.

They then act as a DNS service and redirect requests to that domain to your router. (or PC).

Assuming you're planning on using a router for connecting multiple PCs in a network you'll need one that supports ddns (check faqs first - i.e. dyndns.org says there's an issue with the ddns implementation on at least one Linksys router). Depending on the router, the normal setup is to have the PC on your local network that you want the requests forwarded to to have a static local IP address (i.e. 192.168.2.99), and tell the router to pass incoming requests to it.

i.e. yourname.dyndns.org points at the IP address your router was given by the ISP on it's latest connection, so dyndns passes the requests to your router (assuming it's up), and the router then forwards them to the PC on your local network.