L'Opera Bakery

WinnieTheKhwai

Stumbled upon this one last week. Apparently been open for three months and it's excellent. They have big ovens on premise and serve basic food such as breakfast, sandwiches, omelettes and other light meals. Breads, cakes and pastries are really quite good and reasonably priced.

Also, they open at 7am.. That's sometimes tough to find a good breakfast option at that time.

It's on Sridonchai Road, almost all the way at the end where you hit the Aruntara (formerly Chedi) on the right hand side, next to Piccola Roma.

It's nice to have an ABF consist of proper bread, nice jam, real coffee, etc. (Bacon also okay though sausages could be better.. anyway they're French, not really their thing. wink.png )

post-64232-0-68604500-1424526611_thumb.j post-64232-0-69477600-1424526618_thumb.j post-64232-0-67614100-1424526624_thumb.j

Not saying it's necessarily better than the places that do a 'full English', but there's no arguing with the breads and cakes. And if you're a person who prefers a light sweet breakfast (Coffee, croissants & Danish, etc.) then it's the jackpot.

Prices for the baked goods are really good I think; Breakfast and sandwiches at 150 Baht is perhaps slightly on the high side, but still okay probably for what it is. Not having Farmhouse toast, Nescafe and Imperial-Jam-Cups anywhere near me in the morning hours is already worth a bit of a premium. biggrin.png (Smaller breakfasts start at 70-90 Baht I think but that's not what anyone outside of France would call a breakfast.)

Disclaimer: My interest in mentioning this is so that they become more successful and can therefore afford a bigger/fancier espresso machine.

I agree on this place. IMO, many things are slightly pricey, but worth it for the quality. The lemon tarts are very small and 70 baht each, but the best lemon desert in town. The chocolate cheesecake at Ragu is a better deal, but I have a thing for good lemon meringue pie and this is the closest you can get around here.

• 3 months later...

Another thumbs up for L'Opera Bakery. Passed by today after a couple of members favorably mentioned them in the Vietnamese sandwich thread. The baguettes are the best I've had in C.M. Really just like you would find in Europe. The wife loved them too. She devoured one herself, no butter or anything - just the bread!

The mini eclairs at 30? Baht each were really good too. We got chocolate and coffee eclairs and they were great. I was there about 12:30 and they didn't have much of anything left so I guess one needs to go early like another of my favorite bakeries here in order to get anything.

Everything they had looked really good and prices were reasonable I thought - 25-65 Baht or thereabouts.

Bakery in karaoke out... then the times they are a changing for the better.

I noticed today that almost all of the karaokes in the area are gone now. Across from the bakery where a few of the small ones used to be for many years, have all been demolished and an extension of the Chedi Hotel (or whatever it's called now) is fully under way.

NO sugar or flour - white or brown - is good according to the latest heath trends - supposedly these types of carbs are BAD. They sure taste good though.

Ignore that.

They will find later on that they are good for you. Nothing ever stys the same.clap2.gif

Archived