Chilean's round-the-world cycling quest ends tragically here

Thaivisa News

no factual evidence here.

most bicyc's believe they own the road,

this proves again,

they don't

RIP brother

Only subjective opinion here.

Thanks for a much needed straw man on a sad story.

Rest in peace?! Mythology to boot! Read your silly post again sober. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Edited by englansi

Open up Thailand for Asian.

Open up Thailand for China.

Mainland Chinese drive on the the opposite side of the road from Thailand.

It's so unfortunate... And I truly hope that I'm wrong... But things on the roads in Thailand could get a lot worst than they are today.

Stay safe! It's dangerious.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unbelievable, the picture shows a divided highway with two lanes and a wide shoulder going in each direction. How could this happen?

5 years - 250.000 kilomet -

He never heared propably before about Thailand, otherwise he would never have entered Thailand ,

and for sure not with a bicycle !!

Where People drive like monkeys !!

No, sorry, not like monkey, a monkey have brain !!

RIP dear poor man;

your family will get 1.000,- THB compensation

And the driver will go to temple to thanks Buddha that nothing happened to him !!

In case you didn't know - nearly all Thais have an unshakable belief in Karma, as do half the world's population. If you don't know what it is check this link. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=karma

Once you understand this, you might understand why Thailand has a different culture than yours. Not better nor worse but different.

Someone is killed - they believe this is neither good nor bad but just the way it is.

Well that just makes it ok then, doesn't it?

• Like 1

This just sucks.

A few years ago, the Sultanate of Oman had a vehicle fatality rate just a bit better than Thailand. Then the government got serious about it and started a campaign: education, workshops, displays in malls, speed cameras, red light cameras, and daily evidence in plain sight of the police stopping and ticketing bad drivers.

And guess what... the fatality rate is way down.

And the opportunities to take action are so abundant in Thailand. It would be a "slam dunk" if anybody cared to pursue it.

The problems start with ignorance - as you can see on this thread, that everyone is an expert and they ALL have a "solution" to Thailand's road safety problems.

The truth is as you say above the answer doesn't lie in a single solution, it lies in the government having the will to FULLY implement a plan that includes the 5 "E"s - taking piecemeal and knee-jerk responses will NEVER solve the situation and blaming Thai people as being inherently worse drivers than anyone else is just setting off in totally the wrong direction

5 E's could only improve my driving here, or at least my perception of it, I agree. As reality stops at cogito ergo sum, who am I to argue?

Edited by englansi

Unbelievable, the picture shows a divided highway with two lanes and a wide shoulder going in each direction. How could this happen?

He never heared propably before about Thailand, otherwise he would never have entered Thailand ,

RIP dear poor man;

And the driver will go to temple to thanks Buddha that nothing happened to him !!

In case you didn't know - nearly all Thais have an unshakable belief in Karma, as do half the world's population. If you don't know what it is check this link. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=karma

Once you understand this, you might understand why Thailand has a different culture than yours. Not better nor worse but different.

Someone is killed - they believe this is neither good nor bad but just the way it is.

I would very much like to see you explain that to his wife and kid. Not deprecating nor mocking but curious. That a statement of belief is in someway inherently respectable simply by utterance, particularly over such a tragic death that actually happened and was witnessed, not made up like karma; it defies imagination. A premature, avoidable death is not the flippant subject of belief, nor does apologising for the belief take the sting out of it for the family. Please think it through a bit more carefully. Either with your own reason or with Siddartha's words to help you.

Oh, and before you say it; I studied Thai history, culture and literature at a Thai university. Yes, I passed the exam.

Edited by englansi
  • Like 2

This just sucks.

A few years ago, the Sultanate of Oman had a vehicle fatality rate just a bit better than Thailand. Then the government got serious about it and started a campaign: education, workshops, displays in malls, speed cameras, red light cameras, and daily evidence in plain sight of the police stopping and ticketing bad drivers.

And the opportunities to take action are so abundant in Thailand. It would be a "slam dunk" if anybody cared to pursue it.

The problems start with ignorance - as you can see on this thread, that everyone is an expert and they ALL have a "solution" to Thailand's road safety problems.

The truth is as you say above the answer doesn't lie in a single solution, it lies in the government having the will to FULLY implement a plan that includes the 5 "E"s - taking piecemeal and knee-jerk responses will NEVER solve the situation and blaming Thai people as being inherently worse drivers than anyone else is just setting off in totally the wrong direction

5 E's could only improve my driving here, or at least my perception of it, I agree. As reality stops at cogito ergo sum, who am I to argue?

You don't appear to have an argument.....

RIP dear poor man;

probably one of the most ill-informed, facetious and facile posts I've ever seen to Thaivisa....

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This just sucks.

You don't appear to have an argument.....

No, just an utterly inappropraite sense of where to post a pun. Pardon. I was trying to highlight and lighten the tangent the topic was going in, but on reflection it was wrong.

• Like 2

RIP dear poor man;

I would very much like to see you explain that to his wife and kid. Not deprecating nor mocking but curious. That a statement of belief is in someway inherently respectable simply by utterance, particularly over such a tragic death that actually happened and was witnessed, not made up like karma; it defies imagination. A premature, avoidable death is not the flippant subject of belief, nor does apologising for the belief take the sting out of it for the family. Please think it through a bit more carefully. Either with your own reason or with Siddartha's words to help you.

Oh, and before you say it; I studied Thai history, culture and literature at a Thai university. Yes, I passed the exam.

They may be more enlightened than you give them credit for. Have you never experienced karma? Believing that karma doesn't exist is a totally bizarre thing to say.

I wasn't going to question your education but since you mention it, I used to teach Thai culture(to non Thais) at a university I taught at. Maybe you were in the class lol.

That death is bad is totally subjective. No actions are good or bad as we don't know the final outcome. I'm not going to go into the reasons why but I suggest you read some stuff by Epictetus, Buddha, or Laozi.

cumgranosalum

Absolute rubbish - both in meaning and I also believe in your intented outcome.

Myself and others are making an observation about how bad Thai drivers are - A FACT - not all, but many - meaning in comparison to other countries's bad drivers (both content and context).

Some people have maybe gone too far and have been too hardsh generally - but the reality is that Thai drivers (on average and in comparison) are the worst I have experienced (that inc India).

People (most) started wearing seatbelts and stopped driving drunk BECAUSE it was ENFORCED. There will always be idiots who drive dangerously, but there are many many others who will stop if they are 'forced' to stop. No amount of 'education' and 'community programs' is going to stop this in Thailand - what is takes is what other countries do - ENFORCE THE LAWS AGAINST DANGEROUS DRIVERS - and that is what they DO NOT DO (mostly) in Thailand - FACT !!

I understand some people have a different view on how best to change people's behaviours - but I assume you accept that the drivers in Thailand need to change (this is just one of many 'proofs'). And I certainly accept that for most things a more softly softly gentle approach is warranted when people's behaviours are deemed to be necessary to change, and that this works best in the long run - no one want to live in a facscist state. BUT when it comes to changing driver behaviours to stop people being unecessarily killed on the roads, the overwhelming evidence worldwide is that the ONLY method that works both in the short and long run, is to ENFORCE the laws BY THE POLICE! FACT !! All the education and community programs in every country that have been analysed in their outcomes, have all failed dramatically when compared to the outcomes of enforcement programs. Yes - I had a bit to do with 'Road Users' in a past life.

When and only when the Thai Govt embarks on an ENFORCEMENT program, will these sort of deaths be dramatically reduced - but they will never be stopped - and that is reality too.

• Like 1

@ Neeranam:

They? Who? Whom did I criticise? Thai's in general. Really? You stoop to a straw man? I spoke to you alone. The point is the verifiable over the unsubstantiated. The man was killed by an act that ought not have occurred. Your statement about Karma is a logical fallacy that my tutor would have been unlikely to make. I find your humour over innocent death distateful. To suggest I'm in error and need to educate myself over a fundamental moral question that Gautama himself drew attention to, is yet another attempt at dissembling. Good day to you.

• Like 1

RIP dear poor man;

What a disgusting, racist post.

You have no idea what happened or what the driver will do, or pay.

Yep, very racist and inappropriate.

However, if the poster has lived here in Thailand for a few years and noted Thai driving habits, he should indeed have an idea of "what happened."

And, if he is aware of the disgusting conclusion of last year's very similar incident, then he would also have an idea what the driver will pay as a fine.

1000 baht.

EDIT:

Actually, I believe I am wrong.

Last year the pickup driver paid 1000 baht. But then, he killed two people. So the appropriate fine here would be 500 baht.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Another typical "Thainess" story... and we all know the end to it: Driver will get away with a small fine for reckless driving so he can continue his "work" and kill a few more people in other road accidents he causes before his own miserable life eventually ends...

RIP to the cycling champion and sincerest condolences to his family and friendfs.

Feel so utterly sorry for his wife and child and am lost for words... Accidents happen, yes, but does it come as a surprise that out of all countries in the world he travelled to, Thailand is the one that eventually killed him?

I also would not be surprised if our beloved PM comes up with some senseless babble in front of reporters telling the world that foreign bicyclists themselves are at fault when killed in Thailand because they don't know and don't understand Thainess or some other stupid comment making him and this country - again - the laughing stock of the world...

Edited by catweazle

that nothing happened to him !!

They may be more enlightened than you give them credit for. Have you never experienced karma? Believing that karma doesn't exist is a totally bizarre thing to say.

I wasn't going to question your education but since you mention it, I used to teach Thai culture(to non Thais) at a university I taught at. Maybe you were in the class lol.

That death is bad is totally subjective. No actions are good or bad as we don't know the final outcome. I'm not going to go into the reasons why but I suggest you read some stuff by Epictetus, Buddha, or Laozi.

..and I suggest Darwin Newton and Dawkins

• Like 1

I see a lot of people getting picked up for drink driving in pattaya including me a few months ago. Has definitly stopped me drink driving. Speed camers on sukumvit would be good as corruption cant be used with them.

I admire your honesty - admitting that you drive/drove drunk. I've never driven drunk here in over 20 years and wonder how many long time expats can say the same. I agree that enforcement is the key. It will happen but it will take time. How many drinkers here would actually like to see a zero tolerance for alcohol ? Most of the expats in Khon Kaen that I know like the way things are, i.e paying off the police when over the limit.

@ Neeranam:

They? Who? Whom did I criticise? Thai's in general. Really? You stoop to a straw man? I spoke to you alone. The point is the verifiable over the unsubstantiated. The man was killed by an act that ought not have occurred. Your statement about Karma is a logical fallacy that my tutor would have been unlikely to make. I find your humour over innocent death distateful. To suggest I'm in error and need to educate myself over a fundamental moral question that Gautama himself drew attention to, is yet another attempt at dissembling. Good day to you.

They - the wife and son of the deceased.

I don't think you criticized anyone, did you?

Accidents don't happen - there is a cause for everything - this is Fundamental Buddhism 101.

@ Neeranam:

They - the wife and son of the deceased.

I don't think you criticized anyone, did you?

Accidents don't happen - there is a cause for everything - this is Fundamental Buddhism 101.

Yes, fundamentally bad driving.

how could this happen? this is thailand! the drivers are idiots! and most of them have had no driver training! no one should ever consider riding a bike or participating in any sport requiring motor cycles or bikes in this country!

RIP dear poor man;

What a disgusting, racist post.

You have no idea what happened or what the driver will do, or pay.

if critizing an idiot untrained driver is racist, than so be it. looking forward to YOU getting out on the thai roads on a bike! should be interesting!

Yep, very racist and inappropriate.

However, if the poster has lived here in Thailand for a few years and noted Thai driving habits, he should indeed have an idea of "what happened."

And, if he is aware of the disgusting conclusion of last year's very similar incident, then he would also have an idea what the driver will pay as a fine.

1000 baht.

EDIT:

Actually, I believe I am wrong.

Last year the pickup driver paid 1000 baht. But then, he killed two people. So the appropriate fine here would be 500 baht.

RIP dear poor man;

Oooooh...I see! That makes it okay, for sure!

So Thailand can -in your opinion- basically do away with every attempt of driving schools, weapons regulation, banning drinking and driving...it's just Karma, isn't it?!

Dude...seriously!?

Sad abut any loss of Life , but would YOU drag your Wife and Baby in a Cart behind a bike round the world on an Alfa Male Ego Trip..Id Go alone,if i felt the need to impress no one.sad.png

First of all: I assume that his wife was okay with that and he didn't hit her over the head with a bicycle -pump and dragged her to the hanger!

A family decided to take a Round the World- trip of a different kind.

I really have a problem to see, what that has to with Alpha Male behavior?

It is really showing, that the only person liking your post, is the dude who babbels on about Karma and "things" happening for a reason and other religious BS!

i've heard of an accident years back of another cyclist who also died somewhere south of Thailand.

I reckon the driver got excited of what he saw, the cyclist plus the carriage, and forgot that he was driving a big truck.

I'm just speechless reading this news..so sorry for the family ...

Edited by bryanlunadelacruz