Chilean's round-the-world cycling quest ends tragically here

Thaivisa News

KhonKaen: – A Chilean man, identified as Juan Francisco, has died in a road accident on Mittraphap Road before completing a world record for 250,000-kilometer bicycle ride to five continents in five years.

Police said the accident happened on Saturday at the inbound traffic between KhonKaen’sPhon district and NakhonRatchasima’sBua Lai district.

Before the tragic accident heading towardKaning Way Intersection in NakhonRatchasima, the cyclist had just made a morning’s rest stop at Phon’s traffic police’s checkpoint.

Traffic policemen welcomed and provided refreshment for him, his Singaporean wife and their two-year-old son. They talked about their journey which started in 2010.

The cyclist said he would travel on to Australia before setting Guinness World Record in November.

He and his family travelled around the world as he rode the bicycle pulling a four-wheeled carriage carrying his two family members and their belongings.

At the side of the carriage, there was a yellow banner displaying the message about the unsponsored trip asking for help, shelter hosting, friendship and support.

Shortly after leaving the checkpoint, a pickup truck, driven byTiwaratRatchaipidet, 64,veered off and hit the bicycle.

The truck overturned. Tiwarat emerged unscratched. The victim’s wife and son sustained minor injuries. Only the victim died at the scene. His body fell off the bicycle before hitting roadside some distance away.

Police and rescue workers rushed three accident survivors for medical treatments. The victim’s body was sent to BuaYai Hospital for autopsy.

Can't tell you how many times people have buzzed me and my young kids in a mall parking lot, coming inches from one of us and not slowing even just a tad. I've had plenty of confrontations as a result. I've warned my half Thai kids that people don't care about the well being of others here so you're on your own and it's up to you to stay alive by being aware at all times. Don't assume anybody will stop for a pedestrian here. It will be your last thought.

Never mind those who consider pedestrian hockey a sport.

The Thai Tourist Minister will now come out and proclaim Thailand as a cyclist mecca.....

RIP and condolences to your survivors.

Thailand the new Hub for cycling

And for sure the driver of the pick-up was from Myanmar or Laos...... since no Thai would do such a horrible thing.......

• Like 2

I actually feel safer riding my bicycle than riding a motorbike or driving a car in Thailand, mostly because of the lower speeds, and I think that it is easier to avoid accidents in general. However, as this poor man found out, no matter how cautious you may be, there is not much you can do about some of these motorists that have no business even being on the roads. A very sad ending to a man with a promising future. RIP

And no mention of charges against the crap driver who killed an innocent and admirable man, and took away a husband and father ….

reportedly the driver arrested charged with reckless driving causing death. released on bail. no mention of drug/alcohol testing

...veered off....into a bicycle pulling a carriage.....with a sign attached at the side.....

...how is it even remotely possible that he did not see them.....

...which raises another question.......

How can young healthy awake people walking on sidewalks simply change their path and walk into others ?

If you can answer this question you deserve a nobel prize

• Like 2

Well if the thai government transport and traffic departments enforced tougher regulations to obtain a license,these fatalities my decrease,for the driver of the car he should have his license suspended and re apply for the mandatory driving test,and rules should apply for manslaughter.if examples are set put in place maybe these brain dead drivers might slow down and have consideration for others,there are majority of super shit for brains idiots on the roads