What has happened to the second hand prices recently in Thailand

Martinpeter

Lots of conflicting opinions and I want to buy a pickup which I'd previously decided to buy new based on information about absurdly high second hand prices. I'm in Phimai ( korat) and if there is significant savings on buying a good 1-2 year old ( maybe a repossession)? I would be interested of course even broadening my scope to include Fortuner/ MUX or CRV type ( Chevrolet trailblazer worth considering?) if better value. Can anyone advise where I should look ( I'm only mobile via motorcycle just now) and any specific modus operandi. I don't want to expose myself to scams so probably not the tents. I've heard different opinions re auctions. Do the newer repossessions go anywhere specific.? I would prefer specific guidelines and locations if possible rather than generalised opinion of which there is already plenty on this thread

Sites.. Taldrod OLX etc etc..

Auctions.. Union Manhiem apple and maybe quantum or crystal ?? These are in my experience, hot, slow, fairly hard work processes.. And of course exclusively Thai and hard to understand.. You need to lodge a decent deposit to bid so go look at one and gauge selling prices and operations before you get too serious.

do they have a trade book for s-h prices like blacks or glass's guide like in the uk?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chevy Sonic prices about to really go down the drain.(more than normal)

Yep end of the line for the Sonic......... what does anyone expect ? cost the same new as a Honda City or Toyota Vios.. + all the Eco cars at 200,000 + baht less why would anyone buy a Sonic new ?

Edit:

As for the end of the 'Spin' again Honda has a small people carrier a lot cheaper, even the fully loaded top of line Honda is cheaper then the Chevy Spin..

Chevy pricing is way off in Thailand, the land of Toyota and Honda buyers, why on earth Chevy hope to sell something that does the same job for more money is a no brainer.

Edited by ignis

Very remarkable plummet of prices for all used cars here in central Isaan. Thai businessmen I know report it is due to an 'extremely bad overall economic situation'. They state that few consumers now have money to buy, and a fair percentage of sellers are in desperate financial straights, so prices have dropped precipitously.

Very remarkable plummet of prices for all used cars here in central Isaan. Thai businessmen I know report it is due to an 'extremely bad overall economic situation'. They state that few consumers now have money to buy, and a fair percentage of sellers are in desperate financial straights, so prices have dropped precipitously.

always happens post imcentives, in the uk the incentives are given by the manufactur's chasing market share or running an old model out here the incentive has been given by the gov':huh: in the uk the dealers know how to price used cars accordingly they are used to these sort of market quirks but i get the feeling the thai market aint quite so expierenced.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

Lots of anecdotal evidence about plunging prices but I am not seeing this reflected in classified ads nor from dealers offering deep discounts on new vehicle. So if you are looking for a good deal from a safe source ( I hear there are some terrible traps with parts being swapped for older bits etc) even on newer vehicles WHERE are these sources exactly? Anyone got any specific information?

Lots of anecdotal evidence about plunging prices but I am not seeing this reflected in classified ads nor from dealers offering deep discounts on new vehicle. So if you are looking for a good deal from a safe source ( I hear there are some terrible traps with parts being swapped for older bits etc) even on newer vehicles WHERE are these sources exactly? Anyone got any specific information?

looking at prices in the Classified ads is anecdotal.

The REALITY is that prices are falling.

There are two kinds of buyers - those who are convinced everything they (and all their friends) buy is a rip-off. I those who are prepared to negotiate a deal.

the difference is quite obvious on hearing the price.

The former gets aggressive and upset....and usually walks away. (you'll hear words like "crook" aND "RIP-OFF" as he walks away from yet another deal.

The latter quietly starts to talk about the vehicle and using his eyes, ears and wit gets a good deal.

Needless to say it is the former who ends up with a rebuilt right-off, thinking that he's had one over on the vendor?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Some links please. I don't see BMW's have dropped much in price.

Anecdotal means saying /claiming something without supporting evidence e.g " the reality is that prices are falling ".......but showing nothing to back it up. It doesn't mean it's wrong but you could have made that claim and then quoted specific examples illustrating that.....then it wouldn't just be anecdotal. I think what you might have been trying to say is asking prices are higher than what is being achieved to make a sale,but to say "looking at prices in the classified ads is anecdotal " shows misunderstanding of the word's meaning.

But this is not supposed to be a semantics argument but just a request for anyone with specific information to say dealer x is offering discounts y on a new/1year old Isuzu/Toyota etc.

I'm still waiting.

Guess depends what some call dropping in price ?

1 year old and 18 - 20,000 km, as new 2014 BMW 520 D, appear about 1 - 1.3 million cheaper than brand new.... Lots For Sale from 1 - 4 yr old model, showrooms, dealers, tents, private sales.

2 yr old BMW 525 D appear about 1.6 - 2.1 million cheaper than brand new... Lots For Sale

would have thought that was a big drop ?? a year or so ago a 1 year old 5 series would have been about 500,000 baht cheaper than new.. now appear they drop a lot in the 1st 2 years then level out.

2012 740 Li has lost around 4 million on new price... a few about For Sale

"I don't see" is anecdotal and "links please" is the cry of someone without a argument.

If you are going to take part in this discussion, get yourself informed first, that is not the job of others, you are expected to have some critical analysis of the situation BEFORE you voice an opinion, or it isn't even actually an opinion, it's just a guess.

"I don't see" is anecdotal and "links please" is the cry of someone without a argument.

If you are going to take part in this discussion, get yourself informed first, that is not the job of others, you are expected to have some critical analysis of the situation BEFORE you voice an opinion, or it isn't even actually an opinion, it's just a guess.

Guess depends what some call dropping in price ?

1 year old and 18 - 20,000 km, as new 2014 BMW 520 D, appear about 1 - 1.3 million cheaper than brand new.... Lots For Sale from 1 - 4 yr old model, showrooms, dealers, tents, private sales.

2 yr old BMW 525 D appear about 1.6 - 2.1 million cheaper than brand new... Lots For Sale

would have thought that was a big drop ?? a year or so ago a 1 year old 5 series would have been about 500,000 baht cheaper than new.. now appear they drop a lot in the 1st 2 years then level out.

2012 740 Li has lost around 4 million on new price... a few about For Sale

Using "BMWs" as a yardstick is quite frankly risible - what share of the secondhand market in Thailand do they have, and as a high-price largely imported car?

Even if they are assembled in Thailand they are subject to higher duties and initial retail price - this plays havoc with the resale value.

e.g. - "the new BMW X5: B2.4 million baht in the UK and B6 million in Thailand."

I'm supposed to be buying a Soluna tomorrow, about a '96, for 65,000. Also was offered a 95 Civic for 50,000. In researching the market before deciding to buy one of these, I spent an hour with a Thai friend looking at Thai language classifieds. I wasn't sufficiently well-informed to judge, but my Thai helpmate is a dealer in cars as well as numerous other things, and he said 'these prices are much cheaper than a year ago'. So much so that he recommended that I offer 35,000 for the Civic and 45,000 for the Soluna I was considering.

Edited by ClareQuilty

Anyone able to say why the prices of 2nd hand cars at the tents are not more readily seen. I'm used to the UK and USA system of huge numbers showing the price fixed to the windshield that are readily viewable from a passing bus.

What's the big secret about the price?

Anyone able to say why the prices of 2nd hand cars at the tents are not more readily seen. I'm used to the UK and USA system of huge numbers showing the price fixed to the windshield that are readily viewable from a passing bus.

What's the big secret about the price?

The price is decided once they get to view the victim..

• 2 months later...