What has happened to the second hand prices recently in Thailand

Martinpeter

I bought a new Almera 15 months ago. I just got a letter from Nissan stating that they will give me a good exchange price if I buy a new one. 43 000 Km. Don't ask me what that's about.

Like all the dealers at the moment, it's about getting your arse in a new ride while they have loads of special offers and they can still make some money on a trade-in as your current ride's age is just what the tents are looking for, ie. < 3 years old and low mileage.

Ford in Udon just did me a smokin' deal on my 3 year old Ranger 2.2 XLT that saw me leaving in a new Wildtrak 3.2 4x4 and 90 k baht cash in my pocket.

So you traded a 3 year old 2.2 ranger for a new 3.2 wildtrack and 90.000 Baht on top?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2nd hand market is changing, you can buy a new Toyota Yaris for a little over 400k that does 20km to the litre, automatic, airbags etc.... Many of the car companies are offering 0% finance or loans over 7 years and theres a glut of cars/pickups at the tents. It will be interesting to see what happens when they bring out the 2nd phase of the ecocars with 25km to the litre.

It new market is too....i don't know the figures but it would seem reasonable to assume that the sedan share of the market i=has increased significantly over the past 5 years - whether that means that pickup sales are actually declining I wouldn't venture to say, but there arre certainly a wider variety of cars on the road. This is the end will mean that in order to keep the Japanese interested in investing i Thailand they will have to change to protectionist laws which at present are mostly aimed at pickups made here. The industry is also becoming more and more export orientated....all this plus ASEAN means that the Thai market will need to be more open and thus affected by international market trends - so a gradual drop in second-hand prices.

with the end of government backing and new car makers not wanting to lose market share, pushing dealers 2 keep up quotas. seems only a matter of time b4 a price war begins and that will be reflected by a drop in used car prices. sounds very much like the uk car market of the 1980's.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ford in Udon just did me a smokin' deal on my 3 year old Ranger 2.2 XLT that saw me leaving in a new Wildtrak 3.2 4x4 and 90 k baht cash in my pocket.

So you traded a 3 year old 2.2 ranger for a new 3.2 wildtrack and 90.000 Baht on top?

-NanLaew-, I believe, made a similar deal as my GF 2+ years ago.

Nissan helped her to find a car dealer who bought her 5 or 6? year old Toyota Vigo 3 l, 2 door,

new price 630.000 B. for 410.000 B. than she purchased a small March with down payment of 130.000 B. and the obligation to pay the rest in monthly installments.

drove away in new car, with 280.000 B. cash. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Where do you see all these "cheap" cars?

one2car?

Are they cheap cars ? or now normal prices ?

lots of other websites as well...

2013 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ now ½ the new price, same with Sonic..

even the A5 Audi because I was looking at replacing my A6 sometime.. 2012 full Audi Service = ½ new price......

noticed BMW and Benz have lost a million in a year.

as for the little + baby engined tin cans most are ½ new price regardless of make.

I think you'll find that it's mostly been caused by the last government car tax pay back set up lot's of peeps brought vehicles that they couldn't afford, and have had to sell them flooding the market.

If you are looking for a nearly new one good time to buy. Selling is another matter.

True you covered everything, just took advantage of it myself, a real buyers market.

I think you'll find that it's mostly been caused by the last government car tax pay back set up lot's of peeps brought vehicles that they couldn't afford, and have had to sell them flooding the market.

If you are looking for a nearly new one good time to buy. Selling is another matter.

True you covered everything, just took advantage of it myself, a real buyers market.

No this is incorrect - the glut of cars produced to meet the demand will certain contribute to the situation but cars sales , after an initial drop have risen again since then - the situation is much broader and deeper than a single issue like that.

Thailand as a nation leads the region in debt - and although there are many defaults, the numbers aren't universal.

the current government has also decreased new car sales and may well have depressed secondhand too which of course will drop the price further.

these are all relatively short term factors, in the long term the number of new car owners will increase and the secondhand market will fill correspondingly.

It is very easy to keep an old car on the road in Thailand, very little roadworthy requirements or enforcement of any regulations means that many vehicles are ept in use for decades. However just look at the cars on the road - take a random samples and count how many are either under 5 or 10 years old. Every one of these cars is a new bit of road-space taken up....this will give you an idea of the increase in vehicles on the road.

Edited by cumgranosalum

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We bough cash on that scheme and it took almost 2 years to get 100,000K back,
You unlike 99% of Thais brought cash.

Everyone had to wait the two years for refund, most Thais now realised they cant afford the H/P so the things have had to be sold. As I said flooded the market bringing the price of second hand one down.

I would agree. And the number of second hand vehicles for sale is exponentially increasing. The problem is that it is usually easier to get finance on a new vehicle than on a second hand one. But the payment defaults of either are forcing repossessions or sell offs. Many Comps have their "as new" second level dealerships as a bid to stabilise the market. It will be a cash buyers boon within a few years for sure. And then bad drivers will have newer faster instruments of death and havoc to menace with. sad.png

Half the used car ads I see that appear to have a low price are people looking to sell a car for some cash and then have you take over the remaining payments. Add the two together and you're usually better off buying a new car.

My wife found a few ads for decent 5 year old cars for 200k-300k where similar cars a few months ago seemed to be 30% higher though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seems the Yingbat was very enthusiastic about handing out money for votes, and her level of competence when it came to fulfilling her promises to her voters was completely lacking. How long did the rice farmers wait? We witnessed a historic travesty. Millions are thankful she is only a moment in history now.

Can you show us examples of these absolute bargains you have seen? One/two year old at 50% discount....might be into one.

Depends what size of car you want, there are lots...... and price range 800.000 baht new car, for 400.000 2 years old ? 4 million car new for 2 million 2 year old ? Pickup ? Mini Bus ?

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1531932

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1532219

Can you show us examples of these absolute bargains you have seen? One/two year old at 50% discount....might be into one.

Depends what size of car you want, there are lots...... and price range 800.000 baht new car, for 400.000 2 years old ? 4 million car new for 2 million 2 year old ? Pickup ? Mini Bus ?

Yes used prices have dropped but details on Taladrod and the other used car sites are not necessarily 100% correct.

E.G. the Focus above looks a lot more than 2 years old.

-NanLaew-, I believe, made a similar deal as my GF 2+ years ago.

Nissan helped her to find a car dealer who bought her 5 or 6? year old Toyota Vigo 3 l, 2 door,

new price 630.000 B. for 410.000 B. than she purchased a small March with down payment of 130.000 B. and the obligation to pay the rest in monthly installments.

drove away in new car, with 280.000 B. cash. wink.png

That's about right. I found a buyer that was willing to work with the dealer so that the cash the buyer paid for the old one covered the 4 months remaining on the 3-year financing (dealer handled that), covered the deposit for the new one (on same financial terms as the old one, dealer handled that too) and I took home the balance in cash and the buyer drove off in my old one.

Yes used prices have dropped but details on Taladrod and the other used car sites are not necessarily 100% correct.

E.G. the Focus above looks a lot more than 2 years old.

That shape Focus came out mid 2008 to 2013... latest model came out in 2013...

The cars on the websites give an idea of what you can get and the rough price... myself spent about 14 full days going round car sites and private car sales, no fixed make or model, just what was the best car for the money....... in the back of my mind was a Volvo or a Saab, at the time the best deal which I bought was a Audi A6

It is a question of doing the leg work, pictures on website look OK, may well look different in the flesh as it were... at the time I did have a long list of OK sounding cars taken off the web pages to visit on my travels around. also you see cars outside private peoples homes and Businesses For Sale. my A6 was a Company director's car, and not on any website.

Seems the Yingbat was very enthusiastic about handing out money for votes, and her level of competence when it came to fulfilling her promises to her voters was completely lacking. How long did the rice farmers wait? We witnessed a historic travesty. Millions are thankful she is only a moment in history now.

For either of you two, what does this have to do with the topic? Ill help, nothing.

try to avoid tents if possible, many will change seats and dash to make it look like "new" or in immaculate condition, its still worth trying to get a vehicle crash report even though it may not reveal much, you just never know. A friend sold his 20 year old bmw with an engine that pretty much died, the tent change the engine and replace new seats, the car looked brand spanking new waiting for the next sucker.

try to avoid tents if possible, many will change seats and dash to make it look like "new" or in immaculate condition, its still worth trying to get a vehicle crash report even though it may not reveal much, you just never know. A friend sold his 20 year old bmw with an engine that pretty much died, the tent change the engine and replace new seats, the car looked brand spanking new waiting for the next sucker.

So the engine was replaced obviously with a serviceable perhaps newer one new seats and looked brand spanking new whats the problem, the cars 20 years old?

What is a tent?

A used car dealer with a small office and an open lot, but because of the climate the cars are kept under a canvas awning. Even if it's no longer an actual canvas 'tent' most used car lots under tin roofs still seem to be called tents from what I can tell.

Edited by kkerry

So the engine was replaced obviously with a serviceable perhaps newer one new seats and looked brand spanking new whats the problem, the cars 20 years old?

Yep also cannot see any problem there... to recover or re leather car seats is cheap and shore looks a lot better than old dirty or torn seats... as for exchange engine, many far newer than 20 years old have had replacement......, back when I was looking, most Volvo's appears to have a Toyota engine fitted., some BMW's and Benz.... appeared Toyota and Nissan engines were a common replacement

Firstly, on the 100,000 baht rebate scheme, most got their money back on time as promised (we did). Some towards the end of the scheme i believe did have problems.

Secondly, eco-cars doing 20 kilometres per litre and next generation 25? Sounds rather optimistic to me, for a purely petrol car. Perhaps under ideal motorway conditions, and probably with the air conditioning turned off. I average about 15 kilometres per litre in my Nissan March - maybe nearly 20 on the highway and coasting down hill ......

Third, in our traditional thai village, about every other house there is a car/truck - twice as many as 7 years ago. And yes, you wonder how some people can afford them on family incomes of under 15,000 a month, and a lot of this growth did occur around 2011-2012 and the cashback scheme. Most of the remaining households are made up of subsistence farmers/casual workers who even a bank would be reluctant to extend a loan to ..... so yes the market for selling cars is dire.

Lots of conflicting opinions and I want to buy a pickup which I'd previously decided to buy new based on information about absurdly high second hand prices. I'm in Phimai ( korat) and if there is significant savings on buying a good 1-2 year old ( maybe a repossession)? I would be interested of course even broadening my scope to include Fortuner/ MUX or CRV type ( Chevrolet trailblazer worth considering?) if better value. Can anyone advise where I should look ( I'm only mobile via motorcycle just now) and any specific modus operandi. I don't want to expose myself to scams so probably not the tents. I've heard different opinions re auctions. Do the newer repossessions go anywhere specific.? I would prefer specific guidelines and locations if possible rather than generalised opinion of which there is already plenty on this thread

Lots of conflicting opinions and I want to buy a pickup which I'd previously decided to buy new based on information about absurdly high second hand prices. I'm in Phimai ( korat) and if there is significant savings on buying a good 1-2 year old ( maybe a repossession)? I would be interested of course even broadening my scope to include Fortuner/ MUX or CRV type ( Chevrolet trailblazer worth considering?) if better value. Can anyone advise where I should look ( I'm only mobile via motorcycle just now) and any specific modus operandi. I don't want to expose myself to scams so probably not the tents. I've heard different opinions re auctions. Do the newer repossessions go anywhere specific.? I would prefer specific guidelines and locations if possible rather than generalised opinion of which there is already plenty on this thread

Sites.. Taldrod OLX etc etc..

Auctions.. Union Manhiem apple and maybe quantum or crystal ?? These are in my experience, hot, slow, fairly hard work processes.. And of course exclusively Thai and hard to understand.. You need to lodge a decent deposit to bid so go look at one and gauge selling prices and operations before you get too serious.