Economists see govt pass economic performance test

Lite Beer

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Int it great, if the poll had showed a poor performance then the PT supporters would have been telling us how accurate it was.

Here we see those who actually know about the economy, its their job even, giving an opinion which shows an improvement and it is rubbished by the expert PT supporters.

The comparisons with previous administrations are really the telling part for they show what a mess (but we knew that) the economy and the country as a whole was left in by the Yingluck Government.

The balls up of the rice pledging has had to be sorted with the farmers being paid, the rice berg starting to be sold off and markets having to be recovered, things that have had a big impact on the economy.

The drop off in tourism caused by protests and external economic factors (Russia) along with a drop in exports due to a generally poor world economy, the record household and national debt brought on by PT policies are all factors that would inhibit growth.

Mind you low oil prices would help the economy as a lot of the oil is imported.

Yet with all the negatives and the few positives we see those who really know about economic matters saying things have improved and after only how many months of this administration ?

I'm not rubbishing anything mate , I read the articles where those GDP figures come from this morning and then was surprised to see this Thread. I was actually asked for the figures , I didn't put them up to spoil the Juntas party

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Int it great, if the poll had showed a poor performance then the PT supporters would have been telling us how accurate it was.

Here we see those who actually know about the economy, its their job even, giving an opinion which shows an improvement and it is rubbished by the expert PT supporters.

The comparisons with previous administrations are really the telling part for they show what a mess (but we knew that) the economy and the country as a whole was left in by the Yingluck Government.

The balls up of the rice pledging has had to be sorted with the farmers being paid, the rice berg starting to be sold off and markets having to be recovered, things that have had a big impact on the economy.

The drop off in tourism caused by protests and external economic factors (Russia) along with a drop in exports due to a generally poor world economy, the record household and national debt brought on by PT policies are all factors that would inhibit growth.

Yet with all the negatives and the few positives we see those who really know about economic matters saying things have improved and after only how many months of this administration ?

I'm not rubbishing anything mate , I read the articles where those GDP figures come from this morning and then was surprised to see this Thread. I was actually asked for the figures , I didn't put them up to spoil the Juntas party

Sorry if you thought I meant you, you do actually come up with facts, unlike others. Peace mate.

Every article I have read on Thai economy says its Tanking

It's tanking worldwide...

Question is, tanking by how much compared with competitors.

More so than most of the rest of ASEAN I believe

Well your lot certainly didn't help matters in wasting 600 Billion baht (for zero benefit to the people) - that they don't have to spend now, did they!!!

My lot ?

Sorry if you thought I meant you, you do actually come up with facts, unlike others. Peace mate.

I was quite hurt then smile.png

Every article I have read on Thai economy says its Tanking

It's tanking worldwide...

Question is, tanking by how much compared with competitors.

More so than most of the rest of ASEAN I believe

Sure? Malaysia and Indonesia are hurting pretty bad too.

First - Who are these economists and their organizations? This article is completely lacking any credible sources for its conclusions. Likley, sources are pro-Junta supporters.

Second - When you consider that Ahbisit and Yingluck had to contend with elected legislators, appointed senators, Independent Organizations, restrictive coup-created constitutions, and third party lawsuits, Prayuth should have scored 8-9 !

I would think that when the military CONTROLS the entire government, has uncontrolled ACCESS to the nation's Treasury, and RULES through its own directives and martial law, it can get whatever and whenever it decides to be done without any opposition. Yet, the Prayuth government has dragged the nation's economic growth down to stagnant, almost deflationary levels:

"Thailand's economy slowed sharply in 2014 to grow at its slowest pace for three years, as political turmoil engulfing the kingdom compounded a fall in agricultural prices and waning exports.... [GDP] is the weakest since 0.1 percent in 2011, when the country was battered by devastating floods."

The cause -

""Analysts tip the government to spend its way out of trouble, despite a vow to tighten the purse strings after what it says were years of profligacy from elected civilian governments....The military has promised to unleash billions of dollars on much-needed infrastructure projects....But the money is yet to kick into the economy."

"The main impediment to growth at present is the slow pace of fiscal spending, which is also delaying investment and consumption decisions." Barclays Capital

If the Prauth government had been an elected one, he'd be facing a "no confidence" vote of the parliament and forced into another election. Unfortunately, Prayuth's leadership is as accountable as are these insidious survey results.

economists gave the test, but the gov. composed the questions .

Something like that ...it's at best fiction.

They are so hopelessly out of their depth it's no wonder TS said just let them ruin things themselves.

And ruin they will.

Every reputable international agency outside of the propaganda controlled country expects Thailand to struggle .

Their military rule alone is killing off growth.

No elections and time along with mismanagement will give them the same fate as the economy.

One opinion piece in a major unmentioned Thai English newspaper yesterday called it coward ness to prevent critical speech.

Certainly strong language .....the cracks in this dam are thick and now watery.

Stay tuned.

As for the fools here that praise the economic management of Thailand under them it's pointless even replying to silly audacious ignorance.

Under TS Thailand enjoyed great growth that's plain a simple fact.

And sections of the Bangkok community that ironically protested to rid the political system of his sister now deeply long for those profitable days.

And now the economy might even face sanctions by years end given YS facing possible Jail and no elections on horizon.

Thailand is facing a perfect storm of economic mismanagement ...Ronald McDonald could do better.

The Happy meal routine in both organisations are wearing thin

You don't need to be an 'Economist' or a 'Leading Organisation' to fabricate any lines of numbers stacked anyhow you like them, which is what these people do. My days of trusting the words of Economists, Bankers, Accountants and Politicians have long been over !

Especial Thai "leading."

economists gave the test, but the gov. composed the questions .

Something like that ...it's at best fiction.

They are so hopelessly out of their depth it's no wonder TS said just let them ruin things themselves.

And ruin they will.

Every reputable international agency outside of the propaganda controlled country expects Thailand to struggle .

Their military rule alone is killing off growth.

No elections and time along with mismanagement will give them the same fate as the economy.

One opinion piece in a major unmentioned Thai English newspaper yesterday called it coward ness to prevent critical speech.

Certainly strong language .....the cracks in this dam are thick and now watery.

Stay tuned.

As for the fools here that praise the economic management of Thailand under them it's pointless even replying to silly audacious ignorance.

Under TS Thailand enjoyed great growth that's plain a simple fact.

And sections of the Bangkok community that ironically protested to rid the political system of his sister now deeply long for those profitable days.

And now the economy might even face sanctions by years end given YS facing possible Jail and no elections on horizon.

Thailand is facing a perfect storm of economic mismanagement ...Ronald McDonald could do better.

The Happy meal routine in both organisations are wearing thin

During Thaksins time the world enjoyed great growth.

Under yingluck the country floundered.

It had been left in an incredible mess with the people and the country deeper in debt than ever before.

PT policies led to protests by the people from all walks of life including their supporters from the north and their supposed main support the poor farmers who they treated abysmally.

Corruption had risen to new highs and was being ignored, indeed fostered.

So far the present administration has had 8 months to sort things out, they have made mistakes and undoubtedly will make more but are moving things along.

They have to deal with a civil service that had been in the process of being shaped to work for the good of the politicians and not the good of the people and are now not sure where they stand.

They have had to make provision for all the payments that PT failed to make arrangements to pay, and now have to find funds to cover them.

We see in this topic economists giving their assessment and you choose to denigrate them not because of any knowledge but because of your political bias.

Try to get over it.

How is 5.62 out of 10 a passing grade? Who writes this propaganda?

It's relative.

If Ms. Yingluck's government with it's enormously successful economical programs got 4.08 then ... ...

But from who Rubi?

Bangkok University?

http://asiancorrespondent.com/111789/bangkok-university-poll-shows-yingluck-government-hits-new-low-in-support-but-still-ahead-of-the-opposition/

You might like to compare with the Yingluck years as well to give a more accurate idea of what has gone on.

But could the low growth be anything to do with the mess the country was left in and protests before the military took over.

Would it not be reasonable to compare, if we are talking about performance, the part of 2014 before the military took over with after they took over up to the present time.

If there is a way to do that.

I'm not clever enough to do that Rob mate , was just putting up what i read, wouldn't have bothered if this thread had not been posted. I'm quite interested as to what is really going on with the Economy , if it is that bad , why is the Baht so strong

This may help

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/gdp

Edited by ExPratt