Inguinal Hernia

nongsung

Yep, yesterday the local hospital (Mukdahan) confirmed that I have an Inguinal Hernia and they pushed

to have surgery this week. Three days in hospital & 43K Baht.

Problem is; the level of English of the doctor was very poor and I haven't even

seen the surgeon (who is only in on the day of the op). The wife translated bits and pieces

but I feel far from comfortable. I'll probably go for a second opinion but I need a doc that

agrees to use local anaesthesia. I don't want to go 'knock-out' and because of the possible

side effects of a spinal (sudden low blood pressure) and a heart condition I wouldn't want

that too. Willing to travel where I can get an adequate opinion. Any idea's?

I have had both laparoscopic and traditional repair in America (different on each side). I was out of the hospital 3 hours after each surgery. Why they want to keep you 3 days is beyond me. If you are in generally good health, that would be ridiculous in my opinion.

Most surgeons won't use local only for traditional repair (and cannot for laparoscopic..... Have to be fully under). For traditional repair, they usually sedate you to the point where you are clearly out..... But is is still not completely under.

I have heard some Dr's here in BKK apparently use spinal block shots for the surgery, but I have never heard of this and I don't think Dr's do it that way in America.

As for the surgeon not speaking good English, I would absolutely find a different one. It is not enough that your wife can help translate for you.

Edited by inbangkok
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Inguinal hernia is a defect in the connective tissue over the inguinal canal. Surgical repair as soon as it is diagnosed is appropriate as it will prevent a potentially fatal situation if a loop of bowel becomes strangulated.

Surgical repair is the only option and can only be done under spinal block or general anaesthesia. The amount (dose) for a local anaesthetic for this procedure would probably be lethal and the local swelling induced by the volume of fluid injected in the operating field would distort the anatomy so much that the repair would likely fail.

• Like 2