using thai atm card in UK - charges

does anyone know the charges for using Thai bank ATM cards in the UK for withdrawals.

are there any general rules to avoid being stung :) i mean like using (eg) a Bangkok bank ATM at only certain UK banks machines. or a Krungthai at only certain machines etc etc

I do understand that some banks charge a lot more than otheres

I think I paid 70B/transaction with a Bangkok Bank card, conversion done by Visa. No ATM run by a high street bank in the UK will impose a charge, a law that came into effect in the 1990s. Note, private ATMs will charge for their use, but this is clear on the information around them.

Bangkok Bank set a default withdrawal limit of 200,000B/day whilst out of the country for me. I changed this to 50,000B and when I wanted to increase it, I was told that it was not possible, I would need to open a new account. Thai logic, or an incompetent bank clerk, I don't know.

The Thai bank fee will be approx Bt100. For example a cash withdrawal using the Bangkok Bank debit card will cost you a flat Bt100 foreign transaction fee...and of course the ATM owner may owner charge a fee like how Thai banks apply a Bt180 ATM on foreign cards. Now if you purchase something with the card there will be a 2.5% of purchase amount foreign transaction fee.

post-55970-0-45704900-1424658774_thumb.j

• Like 2

This came up only last week.

UK banks don't tend to charge a fee - an ATM message will advise you. Typical Thai bank fee is B100; probably plus a percentage of the withdrawn sum. If you use KK - perhaps others, but I have no idea - and have signed up for SMS'd transaction notifications, you will receive those in the UK. Debit cards can also be used, but on occasion, the ATM system falls down, and you can't make a withdrawal; usually for no apparent reason.

General rules? Not that I know of.

I use my k bank card in the UK. The charge per withdrawal is 100thb. I withdraw the maximum of £500 to minimise the effect of the charge. Some ATMs have a lower withdrawal limit though. I did have an experience of a Coop bank ATM at a convenience store only giving me £10 instead of the requested £500. Of course the store said the ATM was nothing to do with them. It took six months to get the money put back in my account. I did get a credit though of £500 and not the £490 I was due. So now I only use an ATM inside my UK bank in case it swallows my card. I should at least get my card back quickly should it happen although any cash discrepancy would probably still need to be processed through the issuing bank. The exchange rate of the ATM seems reasonable as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been into my branch to check that my Krungsri ATM card will work for an upcoming trip to UK and was glad I did.

After a long call between the very helpful clerk and the Krungsri call centre it turns out that to use their ATM card in UK requires that I call into their call centre using their international number and make a booking for any ATM withdrawal. I will then have 15 minutes to make the withdrawal.

The reason they gave was that they consider UK a high risk country for ATM withdrawals due large amounts of fraud and skimming at UK ATMs.

Shop purchases are unaffected, they said.

The card is a Krungsri ATM with both visa and plus symbols.

The number to call from overseas is 0062 296 2000 (08:30 - 17:30 Thai time)

then select option 1

followed by option 2

then option 0

then make the arrangement and do the withdrawal within 15 minutes.

All very surprising, but good to know in advance, I would hate to try and sort it all from UK.

Now I've just got to hope I can get through on the number on the day!

The number to call from overseas is 0062 296 2000 (08:30 - 17:30 Thai time)

then select option 1

followed by option 2

then option 0

then make the arrangement and do the withdrawal within 15 minutes.

All very surprising, but good to know in advance, I would hate to try and sort it all from UK.

Now I've just got to hope I can get through on the number on the day!

And that Thai time converts to 0130 - 1030 UK Time....looks like you'll be doing your UK withdrawals in the after midnight darkness to the morning.