One Month Car Rental - Bangkok (Suggestions?)

moon47

We will be arriving in Bangkok at the end of April and would like to rent car for a month.

I have been looking around the web and these three seem to have the best web sites with similar rates.

http://www.siamrentacar.com/main/car_rates

http://www.qcars.net/economy.php

http://www.avisthailand.com/longterm/index.php

The first two give clear rates online while with avisthailand if you fill out the form you get rates that are comparable.

Has anyone had experience with these or other monthly rental places.

Things i am interested in are condition of fleet cars, service (good or bad) or anything else you can think of.

Avis is advertising the class A manual drive car for 9,999 per month special, is this just a marketing ploy or do they really offer that rate at the counter... ??

Any other info on renting and driving throughout Thailand would also be helpful.

I will have an international drivers license from AAA upon arrival.

The Car Rent link from ThaiVisa quotes about 27000 for the same cars that are listed around 18000 on the three sites above...

You don't say what country you are from. I am American and if I rent and pay the deposit with Avis from within the US, and use my VISA card, I have the consumer protections of the US rather than lack of them in Thailand. I will pay a little more for Hertz or Avis for that reason.

The rate from Avis does sound a little low but then I get the top insurance and all so I wouldn't never have to pay for damage.

Go to Avis US and rent your car. From drop down menus you can choose Thailand and punch on through. That way you can be assured that the price quoted is the price charged with no tricks. Or if you're in a Western country there should be the same option in your country.

I never do business with a car rental company in Thailand. Scooter rentals are bad enough for tacking on charges including claiming you caused damage that was already there.

American.

I think i will take the advise of going with larger brands for more security. I have heard of plenty of situations with a promise of low rates but then there is a catch that usually costs you more money, like not returning the deposit. Lets be smart enough to avoid those eh... =]

I always use my GPS... =]

• Like 1

Have used in the past Avis, Hertz, Budget and most recently Q cars in January. Of primary concern has always been validity of car insurance and hence sticking with international brands. If you got an offer of 10k from Avis then I would suggest you visit their offices in Bangkok, review the details (particularly on collision, damage waiver) and go for it as the figure does seem low but Avis is an International brand.

I have previously used

http://www2.atlaschoice.com/

They were partnered with Thai Rent a Car - so you might actually get a better deal direct from them

http://www.thairentacar.com/

I think you will find them cheaper than Avis or Hertz

No hassle booking and had upgraded vehicle delivered to hotel at no extra cost.

Only a very cursory check over on returning it.

However, whoever you end up hiring from do take care to give the car a good check over for any damage, taking time stamped photos of such damage and pointing out the fact to them and making sure it is clearly recorded on the pre-delivery form.

• Like 1

I use rent a car for last 6 years in Thailand, most 2 - 3 times a year;

I did a long long investigation and comparison;

Now i take always avis;

You have to compare not only the prices, you have to compare also what is included !

for 80% sure in 1 month you will get at least a scratch in your car, from parking or anywhere you not

realiced when you got it;

Many times in cties you get pumped by a motorcycle, before you get out of your vehicle,

the cycle is gone, if you have not full insurance, you will pay extra;

So take all insurance what possible,

dont take the small with hand gear,

if you need safe some money , take the vios auto,

for more safety and long distance travell, take at least the Altis, or camry,

1 month 26.000,- you have all included what you need

SCDW - full insurance ( specialCollision DamageWafer)

PI personal insurance

TP Theft protection,

Check the car when take over,

they have older cars - 80.000 km,

try to get one with less kms !

Be carefull on Thai roads !!

LH driving;

( mostly they override or drive fast on the most left lane !! )

Take care for Vans, Buses, Lorries !! No traffic rules for them !!!

Motorbikes you dont see them sometimes, but they just behind you

when you turn !!

• Like 1

I have previously used

http://www2.atlaschoice.com/

They were partnered with Thai Rent a Car - so you might actually get a better deal direct from them

http://www.thairentacar.com/

I think you will find them cheaper than Avis or Hertz

No hassle booking and had upgraded vehicle delivered to hotel at no extra cost.

Only a very cursory check over on returning it.

However, whoever you end up hiring from do take care to give the car a good check over for any damage, taking time stamped photos of such damage and pointing out the fact to them and making sure it is clearly recorded on the pre-delivery form.

as i mentioned in my earlier post,

in general all have the same prices,

if cheaper, than something in insurance is not included !!

( for example windscreen, roof, under car, tryals )

and what you save on booking, you pay after;

Or its not insured by the rental company,

so you will loose time to claim your damage with some other insurance company !!

Or you pay first the repair and you have to reclaim to the insurance company afterwards !!

Be also aware, that most thai cars dont have a appropiate insurance,

so even if its their fault,

insurance will maybee max compensate for 100.000,-

but your damage might be 300.000,-

I have found the best prices for international car rental firms is on their Thailand websites. Hertz Thailand and Budget Thailand will show prices and you can get monthly rates by negotiating around the websites. They will block or hold a deposit on your credit card but not actually take the funds. I have used Avis and Hertz in the past and agree that the Avis site requires you to submit details and then they email back their monthly rate schedule. No issues with both and easy to work with. You can try pick up at airport and in town to see if the price differs.

Hi

Have Honda City on hire from Hertz Bangkok @ 650 baht a day all in incl CDW. Have hired for three months. Its the same if you hire for 1 month.

It was hired via a UK agent online. "FAST CAR HIRE.COM" I have used them for Thai hire for over 10 years and found them to be 100% reliable. They are not so good for other countries, for Thai never found cheaper. I only use Hertz or Budget and never had a problem.

Hope this is a help.

JN

Hi

Have Honda City on hire from Hertz Bangkok @ 650 baht a day all in incl CDW. Have hired for three months. Its the same if you hire for 1 month.

It was hired via a UK agent online. "FAST CAR HIRE.COM" I have used them for Thai hire for over 10 years and found them to be 100% reliable. They are not so good for other countries, for Thai never found cheaper. I only use Hertz or Budget and never had a problem.

Hope this is a help.

JN

CDW is NOT SCDW !!

I scrab, and your deposit of 10.000,- or 20.000,- thb might be gone !

In 3 months for sure you get a scribe on parking,

otherwise you keep the car 3 months in a garage;

Agents always use their Insurance in UK or somewhere,

so you requested to send them an english police protocall in any case;

How much time you will than use for such a claim ??

But still you might be lucky, that nothing happens,

But I myselfe would not count on luck,

special without driving experiance in Thailand !!

Hi

Hope this is a help.

JN

I have used Fast Car Hire UK most of the time when in Thailand. You will be able to see the total cost prior to renting, and in the case of Hertz and Budget (available through Fast Car Hire UK), you are fully insured with no deductible, included in the rental price. I have never had them keep any of the deposit. I highly recommend them. I have also rented from Avis. No problems with them, but the base Vios with manual transmission is basic, and has no airbags. Again, no problem getting my deposit returned. Just remember, if you drive drunk and have an accident, your insurance can be rendered void.

Son in law, previously 8 years in Bangkok, said he NEVER heard of a car being returned without some or all of the deposit being withheld. Same thing in Chonburi.

I rented twice from Hertz and each time I took their optional zero excess insurance. Neither time was anything withheld from my deposit and in fact because of the complete insurance cover it wasn't even necessary to check the vehicle at collection or drop-off.

The total cost for vehicle and extra zero excess cover was under 500B per day.

I would never even consider hiring in Thailand without zero excess insurance cover. Small companies do not appear to offer this sort of cover and so if you rent from them you are likely to be liable for damage up to several tens of thousands of Baht.

Thanks everyone, lots of good info.

Again i will stick with Avis, Hertz, etc. and opt. for the full insurance or zero excess...

Not sure where people are getting 500-650B day rental prices, most of what i have seen is around 1000B / day after full insurance...

Perhaps the base, manual transmission models with higher milage?? I would like power windows, cold air conditioning (not kinda cool, but I'm still sweating, wondering if it is really on all the way air) etc. this is the 21st century now... =]

Cheapest on the thai visa link is 852 USD for 30 days with full insurance... About 920B per day depending on fx rates...

Any rate i will wait until i am in town before i make any decisions...

Thanks again folks, lots of help here... =]

Good day,

R

PS If i have to do this i probably do not want to drive the car... =]

Kidding of course... =0

ac-500-ghetto_ac-57wtmk.jpg?w=500&h=362

Edited by moon47

Not sure where people are getting 500-650B day rental prices, most of what i have seen is around 1000B / day after full insurance...

I paid 300B/day for a new Jazz/Vios from Hertz, plus 200B/day for the zero excess insurance. This was a 2 or 3 day rental.

This rate was advertised in a daily national newspaper and was supposedly for phone booking only, but I just went into the local branch in Central and got the girl behind the counter to call them and book it for immediate collection.

I've seen the same sorts of adverts in the papers since then.

Avis is a reputable operation here in Thailand. As end of April is low season already, I am sure it is worth contacting them. Not sure if you can get that rate just "over the counter". And do talk to BUDGET too, as they probably can offer similar rates. the 9.999 Baht car might be a "compact" class car that is not suitable for a family, though, But if it's just two of you, those cars are great and easy to navigate through the traffic