Honda trip to Srinakarin Dam

rambling

it looks fun! thanks for the report and photos.

is it organized by Bigwing main BKK branch?

I believe so, yes. I was told this is part of new initiatives to organize more trips and there's a person dedicated to this now. I learned about the trip from their facebook page, specifically from the attached. They're also looking for suggestions, feedback and ideas. If you have any I'm sure they'll be happy to hear. Maybe join us on one of the next trips?

post-43886-0-85358000-1424666830_thumb.j

Is that the ferry crossing across to Sisawat? That ice cream bike was also on my crossing lol.

I think there are 2 kinds of ferries there, a smaller and a bigger one, not sure if this is the one you mean.

Right after we got there a bunch of pick ups arrived and that ice cream was selling like err.. cold ice cream on a hot Thai noon :-)

it looks fun! thanks for the report and photos.

is it organized by Bigwing main BKK branch?

I believe so, yes. I was told this is part of new initiatives to organize more trips and there's a person dedicated to this now. I learned about the trip from their facebook page, specifically from the attached. They're also looking for suggestions, feedback and ideas. If you have any I'm sure they'll be happy to hear. Maybe join us on one of the next trips?

yep maybe the next one.

My problem is people have to ride slow on these rides and being trapped in a schedule makes me feel claustrophobic. Sometime you know, you want to get a side road without any plans and go discover somewhere suddenly.

but for fun i want to join one.

thanks for the info and video too.

Is that the ferry crossing across to Sisawat? That ice cream bike was also on my crossing lol.

It certainly looks like it. I was there on Saturday and decided to go around the lake rather than take the ferry. I'm so happy I did, great scenery, good roads and zero cars or even bikes.

It certainly looks like it. I was there on Saturday and decided to go around the lake rather than take the ferry. I'm so happy I did, great scenery, good roads and zero cars or even bikes.

I took that route as well a few weeks back. Eerily quiet, didn't see anyone or anything for quite a few kms. Lots of fresh elephant poo on the road as well, quite un-nerving at times...

We talked briefly about communications. The person organizing this, K. Kann said he will publish these in English also. But if you mean some other way to invite besides notices on their Facebook page then do you have any suggestion how else they should keep in touch with their customer base?

Last year two locals on bikes were killed by elephants in separate incidents along the East-West section around the spur of water where the shorter ferry-ride can be taken. I stayed the night at the ranger station visible at 20:50 in the vid. Came across from Huay Mae Kamin after sundown and could not find a place to stay and did not want to continue in to the Elephant zone at night...

You are right to be unnerved by the prospect of elephants!

I took that route as well a few weeks back. Eerily quiet, didn't see anyone or anything for quite a few kms. Lots of fresh elephant poo on the road as well, quite un-nerving at times...

Edited by DualSportBiker

Last year two locals on bikes were killed by elephants in separate incidents along the East-West section around the spur of water where the shorter ferry-ride can be taken. I stayed the night at the ranger station visible at 20:50 in the vid. Came across from Huay Mae Kamin after sundown and could not find a place to stay and did not want to continue in to the Elephant zone at night...

You are right to be unnerved by the prospect of elephants!

Anyone has any advice on what to do on seeing an elephant? Turn around and leg it out of there?

We talked briefly about communications. The person organizing this, K. Kann said he will publish these in English also. But if you mean some other way to invite besides notices on their Facebook page then do you have any suggestion how else they should keep in touch with their customer base?

i know Kann. a good guy but not an efficient guy for sure!

What app gives you all the data on the video?

The software is Sony's PlayMemories. The Sony cam has a GPS and it embeds the data in the video, the s/w can then create a new video with this overlay.

On Sunday there were quite a few groups there, I saw more than a hundred bikers I think.

post-43886-0-15099800-1424686601_thumb.j

• Like 2

Odd you should say that. My friend and I stopped there for a break and it was completely quiet, no birds no insects.. nothing, very eerie indeed.

What app gives you all the data on the video?

The software is Sony's PlayMemories. The Sony cam has a GPS and it embeds the data in the video, the s/w can then create a new video with this overlay.

On Sunday there were quite a few groups there, I saw more than a hundred bikers I think.

yes one of the best features of sony action cams.

• Like 1

How does one secure a traffic police marshal to ride at the front on police bike to help with tricky areas and u-turns.

​I'd like that if not too expensive.

I have no idea.. some connections and corporate pull probably helps, afaik traffic police riders go through at least part of their training at Honda facility in Ramkamhaeng, I guess there's some cooperation there on various levels.

Cool Honda trip report rambling, thanks for sharing.

Now on a trip like that, is it mostly Thais I take? Looks that way on the photos so I will assume only Thai is spoken.

Bad news for me but thankfully one of the nice things about bike riding no talking man when riding (unless you got one of those fancy inter com things fitted), no noisy kids/wife to disturb you as this can be a problem when driving the truck, he-he.

Now since I bought a Kawa, I wonder if Kawa are doing trips like that?

Cool Honda trip report rambling, thanks for sharing.

Now on a trip like that, is it mostly Thais I take? Looks that way on the photos so I will assume only Thai is spoken.

Bad news for me but thankfully one of the nice things about bike riding no talking man when riding (unless you got one of those fancy inter com things fitted), no noisy kids/wife to disturb you as this can be a problem when driving the truck, he-he.

Now since I bought a Kawa, I wonder if Kawa are doing trips like that?

Yeah I was the only 'farang' but Kann the organizer speaks good English and was helpful in explaining stuff when needed, which wasn't too often. Most of the time even with my basic Thai I could get by as it's not too difficult to figure out that in X KM we stop at PTT, or this area we're going to go slower, or we'll stop for lunch at 12:30 etc.

Some of the guys also spoke good English so naturally I gravitated to hanging out with them during the breaks and lunch. Overall I wouldn't hesitate to join even with little or no Thai language skills, as you said when we ride we don't talk anyway.

Btw 2 guys were on loaned bikes and own BMWs so I guess owning a Honda wasn't mandatory but no other bikes allowed on the trip. Will be interested to hear about Kawa's trips too if they have them.

• Like 1

Big Wing could try sending out emails to their customer buyer data base announcing trips, events, or whatever. I don't use Facebook and I am pretty sure they asked for my email address in my buyer information when I bought the bike from them. Can't say I feel they put a lot of effort into customer relations in general. Never a phone call from them after I bought the bike to ask how is it running, how I like it, or anything. When I bought the bike they gave it to me with an empty tank of gas of course, it was wiped down a bit after they pulled it out of the storage lot, but not washed when it was given to me. I also realized after taking it to the petrol station that they hadn't checked the tire pressure before giving the bikes to me which was quite low in fact. I think they could put a bit more effort into trying to make the whole buyer experience a bit more pleasing. Sorry to go off on a bit of a rant here, but when you said Big Wing wants suggestions it triggered these thoughts.

Which Facebook page is that, because I am following theirs and there was no such announcement.