Bangkok Restaurant Offers 1m Baht Meal

PREM-R

(Bangkok Post) Bangkok Post Story

An exclusive restaurant in Bangkok will soon be taking bookings for a special dinner for 40 guests, each of whom will pay a million baht for the pleasure and the privilege.

Why? And how can a meal possibly be worth a million baht?

"It's more than just an expensive dinner," said Deepak Ohri, managing director of Challenge Hospitality, the company that owns and manages the luxury Lebua Hotel and the restaurant Mezzaluna, which is organising the dinner.

"It will be a unique experience, a memory to treasure. And only in Bangkok will you find it," he said.

So poverty has been "eradicated" in Thailand? - What ever happened to philanthropy

and a specially-designed commemorative dish from Limoges, signed by the master chefs before being fired in the kiln.

well , that sound like a " must have" piece of <deleted> if ever i heard of one.

stories like this crop up every now and again , bankers in london running up a wine bill of 70,000 pounds (5 million baht) at one restaurant , elton john spending 100,000 on flowers , and an american who ordered pizza flown over from rome to new york and sent his private jet to collect it.

its their money , and i guess they can do what they like with it.

who's to know if they contribute generously to charitable causes or not .

some do and some dont. the truly charitable will never publicise their donations anyway.

pretentiously cooked food doesnt appeal to me , whether i could afford it or not and most people in the world would not be able to distinguish from south island scallops or samut prakhan scallops.

burrp.

and a specially-designed commemorative dish from Limoges, signed by the master chefs before being fired in the kiln.

Here are the master chefs "signing" their names to the commemorative dish before taking it back indoors to be fired in the kiln:

post-9005-1156478707_thumb.jpg

Edited by sriracha john

Just had a chuckle. Remember that thread by BKK Madness about the restaurant staff bringing back your change in 1 baht coins? Imagine then doing it at this 'Look How Rich I Am, No Look At ME!' parade?

"Yes sir, your change will be here in a minute, we are just loading it into a truck"

I wonder if the meal includes drinks, or do you think they'd charge extra? Imagine a table trying to seperate the drinks bill with a calculator!

Rich people have the right to spend money as they please, but I have to say this is a little excessive when there is so much hunger in the world. Of course if it was a charity event to feed the starving and using this as a publicity stunt then thats a different matter.

It follows the success of the first event held last year.

How much did this meal go for last year? Did they fill all 40 seats? If anyone does end up going this year, how stupid are they gonna fell while they're sitting there alone!? For comparison, lunch with Warren Buffet runs about 20,000,000 baht, but I think that's for you and six of your friends.

Edited by fxm88

I should imagine that the vast majority of those attending would only do so in the belief that they will recoup their outlay for the evening and make a lot more later, thanks to those with whom they foresee rubbing shoulders... :o

As the Tourleaders said, this is sick, while people are starving in and around BKK? If it was for charity, then fine, but I'd be too embarassed to be seen around that place! Besides I couldn't afford the amount asked-And washing the dishes for that amount would take many a years.

It's all relative. Just look at how many people spend more than 50,000 Baht a month on groceries -or whatever "superfluos" expense: do you fly business or first class?, have an automobile(s) with a V-6/8/12 engine, own more than 2 TVs, have the air turned down a bit 'too' low?- here (easily if you're one of those: myself included, that prefers some imported food "essentials" in your diet). You can do that or feed 100+ individuals (estimated cost of a 15 kg. bag of rice + a bottle of fish sauce and 1 bottle of generic vitamin C per month). Yet we (or at least an awful lot of people) choose not to do so in one way or the other. It's all relative.

:o

Edited by Heng