Doing the 30-day stay (as US citizen) w/ visa runs for a year or more?

hi all,

I'm sure this question has been covered before, and I apologize in advance if so, but I haven't been able to find anything in the forums recently that has addressed it. I am a U.S. citizen, and I have enough savings that I don't need to work for a while (I just quit a very high paying job that I had been working at for almost ten years).

I'd like to basically spend 2015 living in Bangkok (but NOT working, so no need for a work permit). As a U.S. Citizen, I'm allowed a 30-day visa exempt stay on entry, but this means I will have to do visa runs every 30 days (which is not a problem, as I often visit other Asian countries). My question is: Can I keep doing this 30-day stay, then a weeklong visa run, then come back to Thailand for another 30 days, etc etc, for an entire year? Or would immigration get wary and refuse entry at some point?

Just to be clear - I am not doing anything illegal - I am not working in Thailand. I simply want to be based here for 2015. And I am not planning to just do a one-day visa run and come back the next day. Each time I leave, I would probably be leaving for a week before coming back.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

You cannot stay on 30 day visa exempt entries now. They will eventually pull you over and question you about what you are doing. You would then need to show financial proof and prove you are not working here.

You should get a 3 entry tourist visa visa before leaving the states. It would give three 60 day entries that you can extend for 30 days at immigration. Then after the almost 9 months of total stay you can get from the visa you could get a 1 or 2 entry visa form a nearby embassy or consulate to finish out your trip.

hi Ubonjoe,

Thank you for the response. If I get stopped at immigration, but I show them financial proof (like a bank statement) which shows that I have enough funds to last a few years without working at all, would they allow me to enter the country?

I'm allowed a 30-day visa exempt stay on entry, but this means I will have to do visa runs every 30 days (which is not a problem, as I often visit other Asian countries)

If you get a 30 day visa exempt entry, near the end of the 30 days you can get an extension of stay for an additional 30 days at an immigrations office in Thailand without leaving the country.

As said above, if you do these visa exempt entries repeatedly you will probably encounter some questioning or, especially at a land border, potentially be denied entry.

If you plan to visit neighboring countries anyway, why not at least get a single entry tourist visa. It would entitle you to a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days for a total of 90 days in Thailand. You don't have to remain in Thailand for the full 90 days. You can get a re-entry permit so that you could go out and return without losing your permission to stay, without encountering any special scrutiny or the need for a visa during your 60 + 30 days.

Edited by Suradit69

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

hi Ubonjoe,

Thank you for the response. If I get stopped at immigration, but I show them financial proof (like a bank statement) which shows that I have enough funds to last a few years without working at all, would they allow me to enter the country?

Why not just obtain a triple entry tourist visa prior to leaving home.

Your plan is risky and you could find yourself being refused entry.

hi all,

Thank you! I didn't realize that I could leave and come back multiple times on the 60/90-day entry visa. I thought that visa meant I was allowed only one entry, for up to 60 days (I thought that meant if I wanted to leave Thailand for a brief trip in the middle of those 60 days, I couldn't come back without applying for another visa). Ok, that makes much more sense and that works. I should just do that for sure. Thank you so much for your advice everyone!

Actually, sorry, I had one more question I wanted to clarify: If I'm currently in Thailand, and I apply for a 30-day extension, would that allow multiple entries within those extra 30 days? I mean, if I wanted to leave Thailand during the 30-day extension time period, could I still come back, as long as it was within the 30 days allocated in my extension?

Actually, sorry, I had one more question I wanted to clarify: If I'm currently in Thailand, and I apply for a 30-day extension, would that allow multiple entries within those extra 30 days? I mean, if I wanted to leave Thailand during the 30-day extension time period, could I still come back, as long as it was within the 30 days allocated in my extension?

No. The 30 day visa exempt stamps are closed out when you exit the country. You have to get another stamp to come back in.

Yes, as long as you have a re-entry permit.

A re-entry permit was mentioned above, but not stressed or explained. They cost 1000 baht for a single re-entry, or 3800 for a multiple re-entry permit. Each permit is only valid as long as the permission to stay you have when you purchase it.

It sounds like a good year ahead for you.

I do not think renetry permits work on Visa exempt . does not make any sense that they would. Exempt is not a visa, just a stamp.

Reentry permit is to keep your current VISA valid until it expires.

Agreed. I have never heard of it and doubt it is even possible, but I thought I would mention it because the OP was asking about if his 30 day visa exempt expires when he leaves and comes back in.

The best way it to have two places to live in either Cambodia, Thailand and or Indonesia. Making Thailand your second home is no longer an option. There are places just as good as Thailand in Asia and have nothing near the visa headaches. If you have zero sense of adventure and little ambition, stay in Thailand. If you have money, the surrounding countries are a little less or more expensive.

I do not think renetry permits work on Visa exempt . does not make any sense that they would. Exempt is not a visa, just a stamp.

Reentry permit is to keep your current VISA valid until it expires.

It would not make any sense to even try to get a re-entry permit for a visa exempt entry. It might be possible though because a re-entry permit can be issued for any permit to stay.. They do not keep a visa valid only the permit to stay from one.

If you want to come and go throughout a 12 month period the clearly a multi-entry O visa would be perfect. These can be difficult to obtain for men who are not married below a certain age, but some consulates in the US are much more flexible than others.

For example, the Portland, Oregon consulate was still prepared to issue multi-entry O visas after most of the others were tightening up. Basically the smaller the consulate the more likely you are to get what you want, and honestly in your case it would should like the most appropriate.

I have heard in the past of financially solvent persons applying for a 12 month multi-entry B visa on the basis that you are researching investment opportunities in Thailand, though these have got more difficult in recent years also.

I recently crossed at Mae Sai into Burma. Big sign there saying "no more visa runs". Plus, a man in a green uniform keeping an eye on everything....

I have (had) a classmate that went to Mae Sai last week to do a border run... He said he would be back in class in 2 days... He hasn't returned...

Thank you for your good advice.

I have a similar type of situation am here with a single entry and got to show up for visa run on March 9 am from Canada, than I assume I would have to be out of Thailand by april 9 2015 . the hick is my return ticket to Canada is on the 23 of April 2015. I did apply for a double entry visa but was only given a single entry.

What should I do ??

Should I get out to Cambodia for exit the Country and come back and perhaps be given a two weeks exemption or should mention the situation on my visa run on march 9 and explain the situation to the immigration officer ?

I am here with my common law partner she is thai.we are at her native home in Buriram.

Thank you for any advice so I could determine what to do.

I have a similar type of situation am here with a single entry and got to show up for visa run on March 9 am from Canada, than I assume I would have to be out of Thailand by april 9 2015 . the hick is my return ticket to Canada is on the 23 of April 2015. I did apply for a double entry visa but was only given a single entry.

What should I do ??

Should I get out to Cambodia for exit the Country and come back and perhaps be given a two weeks exemption or should mention the situation on my visa run on march 9 and explain the situation to the immigration officer ?

I am here with my common law partner she is thai.we are at her native home in Buriram.

why you did not get easy triple entry visia in canada. just $180 for a triple and you would get 60 days + 30 extention x 3

$40 for 60 days + 30 days extention in thailand

$80 for 120 days + 2 x 30 extention

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed

What should I do ??

You can extend your 60 day entry you got from your tourist visa for 30 days at an immigration office.

Although the visa situation in Thailand is somewhat of a nightmare, if you have entered on a 30 day Visa Exempt stamp, you can apply to any Immigration Office for a legal extension for 1,900 baht. If at the end of the 60 days, you were to go out for a week or so, particularly by air, you should have no trouble getting another Visa exempt stamp, though keep proof of funds with you, just in case you are asked.

As the OP d3eclared he has plenty of money, I am surprised that nobody yet mentioned the Elite card....

The elite card is so wrong in countless ways. All of Asia awaits, and Thailand is getting more troublesome than China visa wise. Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, even Taiwan may have more to offer now. If anyone who has money and just wanted to plop in Thailand now, they should have the head examined. If you are an American, what about living the life of Tom Sawyer. Thailand is stop now, not a destination. Elite card ? Please !

As the OP d3eclared he has plenty of money, I am surprised that nobody yet mentioned the Elite card....

The elite card is so wrong in countless ways. All of Asia awaits, and Thailand is getting more troublesome than China visa wise. Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, even Taiwan may have more to offer now. If anyone who has money and just wanted to plop in Thailand now, they should have the head examined. If you are an American, what about living the life of Tom Sawyer. Thailand is stop now, not a destination. Elite card ? Please !

I've actually done some research on the Elite card, but I've been reading very mixed reviews about it. 5 years is also quite a commitment...but it is very tempting! As for the rest of Asia, it is true that perhaps Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, etc have more going for it now, but the reason I love Thailand is actually because of it's music scene. I'm a part-time musician, and I find what's going on here in Thailand to be much more exciting than the rest of SE Asia.

I also do travel very extensively in China/Taiwan/Japan as well...I'm actually trying to split my time between Thailand and China/Taiwan this year.