Used car inspection services

eppic

Having given up on getting delivery of the HR-V I ordered long ago, I have decided to look into the nearly-new market. Specifically, I am looking at perhaps a 2013 Focus Titanium+, which can be had with low mileage at about 50-55% of the new price (has the 6 airbags that are mandatory for me for Thailand driving).

Of course, I have the usual skepticism with used car dealers, but given that expats seem to want an enormous premium (about 150K over tent prices) for their vehicles, I am open to the idea of buying from a tent. However, before doing so, I would definitely want a complete inspection done (especially for frame/flood damage).

That being the case, I came across a Bangkok business called TestCar that does complete inspections and full reports. So, my question is, has anyone done business with Testcar or any similar business, and if so what was your experience? I will include a link (if allowed), but I am not promoting this company,just asking for any info about it or any similar services:

http://www.testcar.co.th/english.report.php

I think 3-4K for an inspection is certainly worth it, assuming the results can be trusted. Any comments/experiences appreciated.

Have a look at repossessed car auctions. Usually quite a bit cheaper than tents and you can hire a car mechanic to check out the car before the auction. A good car mechanic for half a day costs you maybe 500 baht. 3-4k for a car check is way too expensive in my opinion.

Have a look at repossessed car auctions. Usually quite a bit cheaper than tents and you can hire a car mechanic to check out the car before the auction. A good car mechanic for half a day costs you maybe 500 baht. 3-4k for a car check is way too expensive in my opinion.

Sounds like a good option, but unfortunately I am at a pretty big disadvantage given that I speak minimal Thai and don't have a long-haired dictionary. I don't mind paying THB 3k if it includes a scan of the body for accident damages, seems like a reasonable investment for a 600K investment - can't say I have a mechanic I know, trust, and can communicate with.

I would even pay 1500/bt day for someone to help me do the car shopping and translating, if I could find someone I could trust (and that speaks English).

@warpspeed: you cannot test drive a car before an auction but you can check the engine, the car, start the engine etc etc.the auction usually takes place in the afternoon and you have all morning to check out any cars you are interested in. Sometimes you can even look at the cars the afternoon before.