Joining mandatory army rules in Thailand for 2015

What are the present rules for mandatory joining army in Thailand for the year 2015. My son aged 21 years presently studying in Thailand got a letter from some army deptt to come for a visit.

He went and was told about joining the army services as this period starts in April every year.

1. Is it still mandatory to join the army - I ask this question as he is pursuing his studies in his final year of university.

2. Are there any ways and means around the aspect of joining the army as he hardly knows the Thai Language as he was staying in India till his birth but holds a Thai passport and can speak only a little bit of Thai language. He has long hair and cannot cut it due to his Indian religion which is Sikhism.

I would appreciate all replies so that I can be helped to get put of this problem.

Didn't they explain this to your son?

April is when they draw lots for the military. Actually being in the active military is not mandatory. Participating in the 'draft / lottery' or filing for an exemption is mandatory.

I believe he can get an exemption for studying. For other reasons as well, but I don't have much info about what they would entail.

I'd suggest that he talk with some of his friends at school and see what they can tell him.

Didn't your son do army cadets during M4-6 ?

If yes . generally that will get him off the draft. Otherwise the letter from the university.

OP's son did not go to high school in Thailand but rather in India so obviously he didn't do the cadet course in Mathayom.

If he is studying at university he will be exemlted for the period of his study anyway. He needs to apply for a deferment.

He should also check out cadet courses at his university. Doing this will also provide an permanent exemption.

• Like 1