The meaning of integrity in Thai society

webfact

He's a buffoon. There's no one Thai word for rolling pin, does that mean they don't exist in Thailand?

I bought one a while back, the label said "Rolling Flower"

I thought 'nah, that's a triffid'

Some words just don't cross cultural boundaries that well.

• Like 1

Just one of the many words that don't exist in Thai such as responsibility, honesty, free speech, democracy and so many more but as long as someone displays Thainess they're doing things correctly.

All of those words exist in Thai.

Integrity would require action on your part if you believe the idea behind your post.

He's a buffoon. There's no one Thai word for rolling pin, does that mean they don't exist in Thailand?

Actually, they are called "mai nuad baeng"

Interity is อย่างตรงไปตรงมา or ความสมบูรณ์ของ

This is what google translate says ความสมบูรณ์

The guy hasn't looked at a dictionary.

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/integrity.html

But all of these relate to completeness not honesty and high morality.

e.g. high tensile steel has a greater integrity than low tensile steel.

Correct.

It say's nothing about;

"...integrity as "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles".

"In essence, a person with integrity is a person who puts principles first."

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"he hit an obstacle. The snag was the English word "integrity"

"Eventually he confessed that there was no Thai word for it."

"That might explain, he quipped, why there are so few men with integrity in Thai society."

"But Teeranun did single out one model of this rare virtue"

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

There you have it folks.

I would like to thank the author of this article, Achara Deboonme, for validating what I have been saying for years.

clap2.gif

The guy hasn't looked at a dictionary.

http://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/integrity.html

But all of these relate to completeness not honesty and high morality.

e.g. high tensile steel has a greater integrity than low tensile steel.

Correct.

It say's nothing about;

"...integrity as "the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles".

"In essence, a person with integrity is a person who puts principles first."

thumbsup.gif

The ultimate character for Thais is loyal and honest.

Regardless of whether the word exists I have difficulty seeing behavior that even remotely resemble what the word implies.

How many knowledgeable individuals believe Thailand is a lost cause w/out much morality.

Well, Google translate.

My paper dictionary says "สมบูรณ์" means "completeness", "perfectness", "healthiness" but also "well-fed".

For "integrity" it offers "ความซื่อสัตย์", "ความจริงใจ". May be you can find these Thai words in thick dictionaries but they are not well known by Thai people. wink.png

ความซื่อสัตย์ and ความจริงใจ are known by all Thais. Stop writing nonsense. They mean honesty, not integrity.

correct ''kwam sue-a sat and kwam jing jai''..honsety...i would say..rap pit chop...meaning ''responsiblity '' is the closet meaning...

" In essence, a person with integrity is a person who puts principles first. Such people are crucial components of any corporate organisation that strives towards long-term sustainability."

The first sentence is true. The second sentence is a non-sequitor. The second sentence is EXACTLY the kind of misinformation and obfuscation that the boys on Wall Street use daily.

Sustainability is not in the interest of any corporation. Corporations are concerned with sustained profits at any cost, and that is a far cry from sustainability since breaking up corporations for personal golden parachutes is a well-established process.

They would happily sell their own mothers to Myanmar slave traders, for the right price.

If the manufacturers knew enough English they could have called it "Rolling Flour". tongue.png

"bank" and "integrity", can you actually use those words together, my english is failing me

oxymoron

" a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction "

eg

Military Intelligence

deceptively honest

larger half

devout atheist

Thai integrity. Oh, sorry that is not an oxymoron it is a kwaibah.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If you put that word back in google translate and look at all the English nouns on the bottom right hand side, you can see why there might be some confusion for the Thai speaker. I don't think it's a failure of the speaker so much as just being a language with different foundational structure.

https://translate.google.com/#th/en/%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%93%E0%B9%8C

Well, Google translate.

My paper dictionary says "สมบูรณ์" means "completeness", "perfectness", "healthiness" but also "well-fed".

For "integrity" it offers "ความซื่อสัตย์", "ความจริงใจ". May be you can find these Thai words in thick dictionaries but they are not well known by Thai people. wink.png

ความซื่อสัตย์ and ความจริงใจ are known by all Thais. Stop writing nonsense. They mean honesty, not integrity.

correct ''kwam sue-a sat and kwam jing jai''..honsety...i would say..rap pit chop...meaning ''responsiblity '' is the closet meaning...

and of course ''yawm rap pit chop''..means ''to except reponsibility''...

"Eventually he confessed that there was no Thai word for it. That might explain, he quipped, why there are so few men with integrity in Thai society."

spot on ....

Actually he choosing to make that statement says more about him and his issues than about any other person, anywhere.
Integrity starts in his office and flows from there. Assuming any of what was written is true.
Same for you, Lucky.

Integrity is an amazing word, with no clear distinct definition. It is a core value, an individual standard, above compromise.

A few months ago I was fishing under a shade tree and drinking a few beers with two friends and thru the course of discussion I mention that what Thailand lacks above and beyond is integrity. Both friends who are from English speaking countries were perplexed by the word. Neither person was by no means ignorant and both are worldly but neither had a concept of the word. My knowledge of the word came from education while in military service, without that I would not have had clue either.

But what an amazing encompassing word. Thailand as well as the rest of planet earth could well learn from an early age the principle of integrity and the core moral values that it implies. So many of us were raised with the principal but without the defined understanding. This word alone should be one of the junta's "core principals".

• Like 2

Personally...I am encouraged for Thai society that they are having this conversation...

I have no doubt that there are men who rise above the greed and corruption which is part and parcel to Thai culture...these men should be promoted to the Thai general population as examples that we all should strive to achieve...

Where there is integrity...there is honor in one's life...

• Like 1

KHWAHM SEU-TRONG ความซื่อตรง - probity, integrity

Yes, the guy in question, despite being educated doesn't know the meaning of the word, "integrity" or else his English/Thai language skills suck.

คุณธรรม is the word often used for integrity as is บูรณภาพ

post-11421-0-10202000-1424838853_thumb.j

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Integrity does not exist within the Thai vernacular. And neither does "conflict of interest". Just sayin'. coffee1.gif

Where did you hear this?

Conflict of interest - ผลประโยชน์ทับซ้อน

The following link is in Thai - if you can't read it, perhaps you shouldn't be commenting on Thai vernacular.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%E0%B8%9C%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%82%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%8C%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%8B%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99

Edited by Neeranam

To the vast majority of Thai's 'Money number 1'. And it has to be that way when they see the system is broken and from near the top down everyone doing the same thing.

Are you just using this as an excuse to bash Thais?

How many similar cases are there in other countries?

Edited by Neeranam

Well, Google translate.

'Jingjai' or 'Jaijing' is widely used as someone who is honest and trustworthy.

Thais have the Buddhist word 'Sila' which is adherence to moral principles. It's not like Thais don't understand the difference between right and wrong. But, I'm not surprised that a convention of bankers would have difficulties in understanding the word integrity, even if they could agree on a universal definition. So I find no surprise that it was contended that 'integrity' isn't easily translated in Thai -- but I completely disagree with that assertion. That sounds like an excuse, and a weak one at that.

Now I'm sure some 'Somchai' will come along an say, "How would you know farang, you're not Thai." My reply, "You're correct, I'm not Thai; I'm Buddhist. I understand the concept of Sila; and I understand the word integrity." Perhaps my only lacking is that of 'wrong view': I don't see the world through the eye's of bankers.

Perhaps a more interesting conversation would be a discourse on morality within the executive class of the global banking communities.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1