Koh Samet - recommendations for places to stay - family holiday.

soihok

May be visiting end of March for a few days, family trip = 2 kids, wife and me.

Not expecting to get up to much other messing about on the beach with the kids and eating.

Prefer large villa to sleep 4, must have either a nice communal resort or private pool. Quiet, clean, etc.

Cost not really an issue.

Anyone any advice? I last visited the island in 1999 so am expecting to see a dramatic change from how it was then.

Cheers !!

No big resorts there ( yet ) In fact no great changes in the past 8 years I have been going !

Ao Chao Is a nice quiet beach , Nice new Bungalows just been completed. No pool though, don't need one I recon.. Its also a very short walk to the next beach for sea food grill every night on the beach.

Still no decent road around the Island, but so what !

3 or 4 days would be enough relaxing there In my opinion.

Good luck

• Like 1

Was last year there one time and never again first I got cheated on public boat peer paying the double price of regular the main beach full of motor boats benzin. Smell in the air, the road most terrible I see ever same phangan 20 year ago, and finaly people was not friendly only mute in restaurant the good buy letters samed paradise for tourist sounds for me ironic!

The opposite beach quite beautiful but always windy high waves cannot swim strange people there tourist go inside the bangalow close the door in front of you my advice go to ko tao!

• Like 1

I would avoid this island if I was you.

Last time I went there for a few days thehuge "hen " mosquitos as they call them descended like vampires in their millions come sundown....despite spaying all over still bitten to hell...also my feet were & still ae covered in bites from sand fleas on the beaches .....rip off tour operators ....need I go on ..a thoroughly unpleasant xperience cannot understand why anyone travels there apart from Jimmy White who bases himself there for easy access to Pattaya/BKK.....suggest any other island Koh Chang for example/Samuii or PhI Phi...

• Like 1

Vongduen has an office at the municipal pier you can park and check in there . they have there own ferry boats to bring you to and from resort.

Check on Agoda.com for any deals they maybe having. I was just there in January and had a nice relaxing time.

Resort has activities that they can set up for you, snorkeling, fishing. Vongduen Beach has many restaurant on the beach to enjoy your evenings and nightly fire shows.

Good range of prices also. I like that they would display the food and price at the stand in front. post-219445-0-34443400-1424775165_thumb.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

Any issue with Car parking at the pier?

Was thinking of heading towards Ao Wong Duean beach. Any recommendations of quality resorts in this area?

I had forgotten the mozzies, they were rampant back when I last visited. Does the time of year affect them?

Was thinking of heading towards Ao Wong Duean beach. Any recommendations of quality resorts in this area?

I had forgotten the mozzies, they were rampant back when I last visited. Does the time of year affect them?

2 listings for that beach above in the thread.

We used the covered parking right by the pier but it has been 2 years since I was last there

• Like 1

I can recommend Samet Ville resort, they have their own beach, Ao Wai, probably the nicest on the island, very calm, Swimming pool.

If you Go for Samet Ville resort they also have a resort on the main land close to the ferry, so you can park your car there for free and they will transport you to the pier. They also help fixing speed boat to their beach for a very fair price.

http://www.sametvilleresort.com

Edited by Eaglekott
  • Like 2

There was a new concrete road completed in Feb 2014 that encompasses the entire island. It is one of the very few places in Thailand that I have ever been comfortable riding a scooter. Ao Wai beach is amazing and for kids, there is no need for a swimming pool as the protected bay keeps things calm.

2 listings for that beach above in the thread.

We used the covered parking right by the pier but it has been 2 years since I was last there

yeah we used the covered parking at the pier 2 - 3 years ago and was cheap. You get harassed by scooter riders on the way in who want you to go by speed boat - very expensive - avoid!

• Like 1

I have always loved Samet but these days i am surprised more people dont go a little along the mainland coast, say about twelve kms east of Ban Pe. Loads of resorts and deserted beaches. Admittedly they can have quite a bit of rubbish on them but apart from that very good. Loads of restaurants to choose from without any of the hassle of getting over to Samet.

• Like 2

Vongduen has an office at the municipal pier you can park and check in there . they have there own ferry boats to bring you to and from resort.

Check on Agoda.com for any deals they maybe having. I was just there in January and had a nice relaxing time.

Resort has activities that they can set up for you, snorkeling, fishing. Vongduen Beach has many restaurant on the beach to enjoy your evenings and nightly fire shows.

Good range of prices also. I like that they would display the food and price at the stand in front. attachicon.gifIMG_20150114_071954_050.jpg

Being unfamiliar with the area please clarify to which municipal pier you are referring.

I have also often wondered why there is little or no publicity given as to where visitors to the islands who travel on the mainland with private vehicles can park securely before embarking on ferries. One of the main reasons I visit islands that have car ferry transport s is that I have no worries about leaving my car on the mainland.

I was there in 2004, my second trip to Thailand. I was there during the tsunami. Fortunately, two days before my friends had changed our plans from Phuket to Samet. Good for us. We stayed on the south east side of the island. Malibu travel or resort seems to be in my photos. Basic but adequate bungalows. AC. There were about 7 small hotels along this beach area. Each had outdoor barbecues at night. Really was pleasant. Three of us booked a snorkel trip around the island. That took about 6 hours total with a lunch stop and 3 different diving areas. No night life on this section of the island. All the normal stuff during the day. Foot massage outdoor oil massage. I was surprised that there were mosquitos right around sunset. Must be standing water just inland from the beach and in the jungle area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, eventually made it to the island.

The resort, Samed Villa is a lovely place on the beach

The villas are great, staff friendly and efficient.

Having a great time. I can recommend staying here.

Cheers

• Like 1