Charge for proof of residency letter?

Today I went to Patong immigration for proof of residency letter so that I can change a motorcycle green book to my name at the department of transport.

I'd read this earlier and came to the conclusion that this was a free service:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Patong-immigration-officer-removed-amid-corruption-claims/43974

I was charged 300 baht by the girl for the service and was given no receipt for the fee.

Have I been ripped off or is this the normal fee now for a proof of residency letter?

Many immigration offices including Bangkok charge an unofficial fee for the certificate of residency.

Perhaps the oficer that was transferred was putting it in his own pocket.

So what you are saying is that it is an illegal and corrupt practice.

Many immigration offices including Bangkok charge an unofficial fee for the certificate of residency.

No I am not.

The officer that was transferred may of been.

No I am not.

The officer that was transferred may of been.

Charges are levied at Phuket Immigration and no officers have been transferred. Whether officers are transferred or not, they as representatives of the Immigration Service are engaged in corrupt practices, so how is it that you say they are not doing something illegal.

They are allowed by law to charge an 'unofficial' fee?

The way I read the article is that it is supposed to be a free service, unless something has changed since it was written in January.

In any case, I've written to the email provided to ask for clarification.

I'm not holding my breath on getting a reply but we'll see.

Although it's not much money, it's quite excessive for what was literally 5 minutes work for her. 330 baht in total as I had to pay the excessive 30 baht fee for a photocopy of my passport

Well I decided to fill the complaint form in as well as contacting the first email on the article.

It wasn't so much to write a complaint, more to get clarification in writing from the government on whether it's a free service or not.

I've included a link to the article so it'll be interesting to hear their response.

• Like 1

Shrug it off, the British Embassy charge me 2,500 for a letter confirming my pension, now thats extortion

I don't think this is a very good attitude to have. That's the going rate in your country so, although it might be excessive, it's part of the law.

On the other hand I could argue that there are many services that are free in the UK that aren't free here.

One thing that certainly isn't an issue in Britain is dual charging and the blatant ripping off off foreigners. We have equal opportunity because it's fair.

If 300 baht is the 'official' going rate here, then I'm more than happy to pay it. The issue here isn't the amount of money that I paid.

The fact is that somebody may be abusing the system for their own personal gain at my expense.

I'm not working at the moment and 300 baht could, for example, feed me for a few days here.

It's bad enough that nearly every local person I come across in the street is trying to scam me in one way or another. It shouldn't be happening in a government office really, no matter which way you look at it.

• Like 1

When I asked about this letter at Nonthaburi Immigration Office I was informed that they no longer provided this service, and that it would shortly be removed from the website. I was advised to go to the British Embassy, which I did, and obtained the required letter (For my Thai driving licence) It cost THB3,200.00!

When I asked about this letter at Nonthaburi Immigration Office I was informed that they no longer provided this service, and that it would shortly be removed from the website. I was advised to go to the British Embassy, which I did, and obtained the required letter (For my Thai driving licence) It cost THB3,200.00!

How long ago was this?

I'd be pretty pissed off reading this thread and finding out that it clearly is still available and that I've just shelled out 3200 baht, not to mention the extra time and effort wasted, for something they should have done there and then for free.

I would have thought that if immigration were stopping the service altogether then all offices would cease simultaneously.

Maybe they've just stopped doing it at that particular office.

How long ago was this?

I'd be pretty pissed off reading this thread and finding out that it clearly is still available and that I've just shelled out 3200 baht, not to mention the extra time and effort wasted, for something they should have done there and then for free.

I would have thought that if immigration were stopping the service altogether then all offices would cease simultaneously.

Maybe they've just stopped doing it at that particular office.

Ever so often reports surface of an immigration office somewhere in Thailand refusing to issue a CR. Best to physically go in yourself to your immigration office and confirm. Remember another options is go to your local police and try, some do, 100 baht but you do need to check with your DLT if they will accept this letter.

Shrug it off, the British Embassy charge me 2,500 for a letter confirming my pension, now thats extortion

I don't think this is a very good attitude to have. That's the going rate in your country so, although it might be excessive, it's part of the law.

On the other hand I could argue that there are many services that are free in the UK that aren't free here.

One thing that certainly isn't an issue in Britain is dual charging and the blatant ripping off off foreigners. We have equal opportunity because it's fair.

If 300 baht is the 'official' going rate here, then I'm more than happy to pay it. The issue here isn't the amount of money that I paid.

The fact is that somebody may be abusing the system for their own personal gain at my expense.

I'm not working at the moment and 300 baht could, for example, feed me for a few days here.

It's bad enough that nearly every local person I come across in the street is trying to scam me in one way or another. It shouldn't be happening in a government office really, no matter which way you look at

Look at it as a service then you wont feel ripped off!!

The 2500 fee is at the British Embassy in Bkk to get the letter i have to provide proof, then they write a standard letter and finish it by saying the BE accept no responsibility for the contents of this letter. 2500 is worth complaining about!!

It's bad enough that nearly every local person I come across in the street is trying to scam me in one way or another. It shouldn't be happening in a government office really, no matter which way you look at it.

I remember a couple of years ago I paid 200 per residency certificate at the Jomtien office.

I'm eagerly waiting to hear about any response you get from the government website.

I remember a couple of years ago I paid 200 per residency certificate at the Jomtien office.

I still pay 200B there, and pop back in the next day to collect it. Those who cant wait can pay 300B and get it the same day but it causes me no grief at all to go there twice as most days I have lunch just 100 yards from the office.

Luckily I'm now at the point where I only need one every 5 years anyway.

Anyone who thinks 200B or 500B is peanuts should perhaps consider that:

1) It is a day's wages or more for many Thais

2) The retirement extension bank letter only costs 100B from all my banks, for which I always get a receipt

I pay 500 baht at Nakhon Sawan, the same price that I paid 5 years ago.. If I thought that it was too much I could always get one at the US Embassy in Bangkok. I would have to go in person as they do not do them by mail since it is a sworn notarized statement requiring no proof. They do it this way as they can not certify that any proof is not fake. The cost is 1600 baht. In addition to the 1600 baht for the certificate I would have to drive to the Embassy, over 500 kilometers round trip and apy for parking and possibly a taxi in Bangkok, adding over 2000 baht to the cost

It's a no brainer for me, 200 kilometer round trip to NS immigration, cost about 600 baht, plus 500 baht with no receipt or 500 kilometer round trip to Bangkok,cost over 2000 baht, plus 1600 baht and get a receipt for 1600 bah. plus waste a whole day.

I The point here is that it's supposed a free service. Whether it's 1 baht, 200 baht or 2000 baht, it's still wrong.

Thailand talks about trying to fix it's corruption problems that lead to it having such a terrible name worldwide, yet it can't even get it right in their own government offices.

The truth is that Thailand is rotten to the core with corruption.

Yes, I've written the 300 baht off. As I mentioned, it's not much money.

I won't, however, look at it as being anything else than what it is.

It's a sad situation that some foreigners here are so used to it now that they're turn a blind eye to it and even convince themselves that it's ok and 'just paying for a service' when there's no way they would stand for it in their own country.

When Thai people behave like this they gain money, but they lose people's trust and respect. And that's a much more valuable thing in my eyes. More the fool them, I say.

Edited by jonaz
  • Like 2

I The point here is that it's supposed a free service.

Your posting history suggests that you are staying here on visas obtained in neighboring countries.

Why should Thailand Immigrations issue a free resident certificate to someone that does not officially live here?

• Like 2

I The point here is that it's supposed a free service.

Your posting history suggests that you are staying here on visas obtained in neighboring countries.

Why should Thailand Immigrations issue a free resident certificate to someone that does not officially live here?

I don't make the laws, I just abide by them. I'm not going into whether the service should be free or not. I'm just stating that it is... and that I have been charged for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick reply.

Had similar thoughts to you, wanted something official to confirm the truth of the situation and a search led me to this thread.

I'm not surprised you received no response, but appreciate you making the effort.

I have read elsewhere on the forum that the free letter can take a few days (or longer) to obtain, whereas the 'corrupt' express service is pretty much while you wait.

Although it galls me to pay for something supposedly free, I equate it to the standard and express services available in the UK. The only difference is the person in front of you gets the money instead of the fat cats.

Because TiT, it's same same but different.