Thai hospitals a word of warning !

nick4665

The Cardiologist at RAM is Dr Patarapong and he's one of the best in Thailand so what ever you paid, you got high quality medical service.

But the typical charge at RAM for using a non-medicated cardiac stent is around THB 220k, using a drug eluting stent almost doubles the price, compare that against say Bumrungrad where the average cost would have been THB 186k https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/heart-treatment-surgery-thailand/coronary-angiogram-with-ptca-3-1 and I suspect that you had either a medicated stent implanted else your case was far from routine.

Well only sort of!

For example, Mrs CM is Thai and she had her gall bladder removed last month, the OP was eventually done at Suan Doc, the nearby Provincial Hospital and she paid just under THB 5,000 insurance excess.

The quote we received from RAM for the same operation was THB 86k (cash) and this was about the same amount paid three months ago by a farang TV Forum member with whom we discussed details of the OP. Interestingly the surgeon at both locations was the same one, Dr Trichak who later told us that the charge for his service and a gall bladder removal at RAM is the same for everyone, regardless of nationality.

It is always understood that any estimate of cost is an ESTIMATE OF COSTS! If things happen during a procedure that require some additional procedure, step, equipment etc, they can't bloody well wake you up to ask. You were lucky - you should be thanking them for being around to bitch and moan another day.

• Like 2

It is always understood that any estimate of cost is an ESTIMATE OF COSTS! If things happen during a procedure that require some additional procedure, step, equipment etc, they can't bloody well wake you up to ask. You were lucky - you should be thanking them for being around to bitch and moan another day.

Yes, but in this case they were off by almost 100%. They also came down a lot when he negotiated.

• Like 1

The Cardiologist at RAM is Dr Patarapong and he's one of the best in Thailand so what ever you paid, you got high quality medical service.

But the typical charge at RAM for using a non-medicated cardiac stent is around THB 220k, using a drug eluting stent almost doubles the price, compare that against say Bumrungrad where the average cost would have been THB 186k https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/heart-treatment-surgery-thailand/coronary-angiogram-with-ptca-3-1 and I suspect that you had either a medicated stent implanted else your case was far from routine.

Says who?

Without jumping to any conclusions, when I had a surgery, price given to me by the surgeon was for the surgery only.

When I asked the total, price changed by almost double, hospital fees - room, nursing, medication, recovery , etc

And thats the difference here....we are used to having the exact price put in front of us in our home countries, but here when you ask, you get the cost, of which in most cases is not the final figure. Different system....That has to be taken into account.

Medical care above first aid is a joke here. You are better self diagnosing. They miss the dx, don't read your notes from prior visits znd not only overload with medicine, but with the wrong medicines. Its really a horror show - and not cheap. We have a hospital that we've stopped going, the doctors are patently dishonest. This is a big hospital in Bangkok.

Spent three years sorting out wifes cholesterol problem. Literally fighting hospitals to perscribe new generic meds. They simply refuse to do so - we had to go to govt hospital.

I was double charged when I had dengue years ago, sure.

Edited by Mencken
  • Like 1

Not to trivialize the situation but this is a route en operation in the UK In and out in about 12 hours, they put the stint in through the veins in the leg they go up through the Thigh and place the stint, two stitches that's the scar

and it'll cost a lot more than 380k THB

- the UK it's free.

Ridiculous - I'm paying £ thousands every year, whether I use the NHS or not.

Its only free if you don't pay tax.

Try comparing taxes to medical insurance = ???

I think some people have lost sight of the OP's account - he mentioned that he was able to negotiate the bill down by a sizeable amount......how can this be - it would suggest that there was in fact a heavy "necessary", negotiable loading on the bill which seem to me somewhat out of order.

• Like 1

The thing is, when you get older you cant get insurance and if you can, your bill is padded 2x. Once for insurance and once for being a falang. Its really criminal. Plus the ridiculous cost of insurance at 70. So what's it worth? If you don't smoke, healthy and not overweight - roll the dice, the Thai do.

Like many instances here, it isnt the actual money, the cost as such, its about the principal and tactics applied.

Exactly right.

Op wasn't complaining about the cost, only the bait and switch routine.

The apologists are hanging by a thread on this one.

• Like 1

Like many instances here, it isnt the actual money, the cost as such, its about the principal and tactics applied.

Exactly right.

Op wasn't complaining about the cost, only the bait and switch routine.

The apologists are hanging by a thread on this one.

Actually, I'd have to agree. By doing the OP a favor and lowering the price, they make it seem like hospital charges are "negotiable." Not a good idea and sets a bad precedence. Unless there's something the OP is not telling us, e.g., did the hospital remove certain erroneous charges?

• Like 1

Says who?

Well Quantas seems to think so since he was appointed to handle all the cardiac issues for Quantas staff in Thailand. And if you talk to any cardiologists/surgeons at other hospitals in Thailand you will find that he is very well known and has an outstanding reputation.

Doctor sees patient and explains the procedure ... estimates price on 1 stent.

Of course with angioplasty one never knows until during the procedure how much plaque there is, how sufficient the remaining flow is and so on.

Would OP have complained if doc would have stopped procedure after 1 stent even 1 more would be necessary, only to not exceed the estimated cost? Probably yes as it is more easy to complain about others as to keep track of ones own insurance validity.

• Like 2

They probably assumed you had insurance and wouldn't care.....my wifes friend works for bupa and spends half her life getting claims from hospitals reduced.

If u have insurance the price is 30% higher as a mini.mum.

When you register for inpatient procedure, the first thing they will ask you is if you have medical insurance and then, for any non-emergency procedure, seek authorization from the insurer.

You let your insurance lapse !!Then you complain about Thai hospital !!!

They helped you kept you alive to moan about it. Ungrateful thats what you are.

So he should be grateful they tried to cheat him?

I am sure he was grateful for the treatment. What a miserable comment.

I bet it was a misunderstanding! He asked how much the op was.They told him.He didn't ask how much for ICU and a private room etc..So many misunderstandings here are down to miss communication.The fact that the hospital reduced the price shows that its not all about money to them..Cheaper and more efficient medical care than in Aus/US etc..They saved his life and he thinks they ripped him off!! Ungrateful is what I would call it!!

• Like 1

Says who?

Well Quantas seems to think so since he was appointed to handle all the cardiac issues for Quantas staff in Thailand. And if you talk to any cardiologists/surgeons at other hospitals in Thailand you will find that he is very well known and has an outstanding reputation.

What's the go with Qantas staff needing their cardiac issues sorted in Thailand? And that they even suffer from such health problems?

It's back to AirAsia for me. 555

The thing is, when you get older you cant get insurance and if you can, your bill is padded 2x. Once for insurance and once for being a falang. Its really criminal. Plus the ridiculous cost of insurance at 70. So what's it worth? If you don't smoke, healthy and not overweight - roll the dice, the Thai do.

How does rolling the dice gel with your self Dx theory from your previous post? OK, so with your healthy lifestyle you might avoid the obvious biggies but beyond that if something goes wrong it's a crapshoot. I forget how many medical conditions my hundreds of patients aged over 70 suffered from in the 7 years I was nursing in wards, emergency and the ICU.

And, in other related news for those (still) seeking a thai wife, don't pass up the free medical care for life for spouses of government workers. Makes sense for those of us on the wrong side of 50, healthy lifestyle notwithstanding. Just sayin'

So here's my Thai Hospital/Insurer horror story: I had surgery that cost more than my first 3 years' total insurance premium (I was younger then). The in-network hospital obtained Authorization from the Insurer.

When I was about to check-out after 8 days as inpatient, the accounting office called and said that there was a problem with the insurer and the bill. I thought 'Oh sh&t; here it comes'. I went to the Accounting office and the problem was that the insurer refused to pay for 2 Coca Colas that I had drank from the hospital room minibar. Other than that, bill was paid 100%.

Coca Cola, what a disgrace. What's wrong with EST then? Never trust Thai doctors, I'm telling you ...

- the UK it's free.

Ridiculous - I'm paying £ thousands every year, whether I use the NHS or not.

Its only free if you don't pay tax.

Try comparing taxes to medical insurance = ???

Also not free..

I've paid in towards the NHS alone close to £35k since last time I needed the NHS (about 10 years) for anything other than a visit to my doctor..

Still a lot less then you'd expect pay in the US for high quality health care.

I don't begrudge a single penny I pay towards the NHS.. They have saved my life before, and they save 1000s of lives on a daily basis.. It is the best organisation in the world!

I'm not wanting to debate the running of it - or how it is used as a political pawn..

Nye Bevan's concept of a Free-at-the-point-of-use health service is a truly great achievement!

Here in Thailand my GF was pregnant with our second child. Unplanned, and unexpected, but life is like that..

I was away and unfortunately she started to miscarry; she went to the very same hospital were I have paid thousands (£) and where we regularly visit; they left her bleeding on the floor and wouldn't even give her basic treatment until someone turned up and put down a Credit card to cover costs.

That'll never happen in the UK - who ever you are or how ever you arrived there they would, without hesitation, treat you!

I'll gladly pay for that til I die

• Like 2

So here's my Thai Hospital/Insurer horror story: I had surgery that cost more than my first 3 years' total insurance premium (I was younger then). The in-network hospital obtained Authorization from the Insurer.

When I was about to check-out after 8 days as inpatient, the accounting office called and said that there was a problem with the insurer and the bill. I thought 'Oh sh&t; here it comes'. I went to the Accounting office and the problem was that the insurer refused to pay for 2 Coca Colas that I had drank from the hospital room minibar. Other than that, bill was paid 100%.

Coca Cola, what a disgrace. What's wrong with EST then? Never trust Thai doctors, I'm telling you ...

Weren't no EST back then.