Chicken Strips!

Shurup

Jim, your oversized picture screwed up the page formatting, I hate horizontal scrolling. sad.png

But this is very impressive nevertheless.

Will the tire width/height make a difference? I think it's harder to achieve something like this on a taller and narrower tire? What is your tire size?

Sorry about that. Don't know why that happens though - it was a picture taken with an iPhone.

The stock rear on the Ninja is a 190/50. RSD has a lot of information about tyres sizes and profiles. Maybe he can chip in with some information as to whether this makes a difference?

It should. These 2 pictures should explain why it makes a difference, but I'm still trying to understand how the different sizes affect the curvature of a tire.

Tire with more round profile will have to be run at a steeper angle to ride on the edge, comparing to a wider and flatter tire profile.

180-190.png

S2RnTp7.jpg

Shurup, you also run into issues where the sidewall's height can effect how much the profile changes. And the construction allowing how much flex. And the designed tread surface profile.

So many things to give a single covers everything answer.

Well it's one of the things I'm trying to understand.

Comparing my 240/45 tire with Jim's 190/50, it seems there would be no stripes (OK it's stripes and not strips) left if he was running my tire on his bike at that lean angle, no?

Jim, your oversized picture screwed up the page formatting, I hate horizontal scrolling. sad.png

But this is very impressive nevertheless.

Will the tire width/height make a difference? I think it's harder to achieve something like this on a taller and narrower tire? What is your tire size?

Sorry about that. Don't know why that happens though - it was a picture taken with an iPhone.

The stock rear on the Ninja is a 190/50. RSD has a lot of information about tyres sizes and profiles. Maybe he can chip in with some information as to whether this makes a difference?

It should. These 2 pictures should explain why it makes a difference, but I'm still trying to understand how the different sizes affect the curvature of a tire.

Tire with more round profile will have to be run at a steeper angle to ride on the edge, comparing to a wider and flatter tire profile.

180-190.png

S2RnTp7.jpg

Bloody heck Shurup! Do you know what time it is? And how much whisky has found it's way down my throat? And you are presenting up a physics lecture?

Where's RSD when you need him.

Jim (yes, that's me!)

Edited by Gweiloman

Jim, I'm in a different time zone so one hour behind Thailand and there's no whisky here (muslim countryrolleyes.gif) so my brain is still functioning...

One hour behind and a muslim country? Can't be right. Malaysia is one hour ahead, Indonesia is same as Thailand (incidentally, lots of whisky in both countries). Going west from Thailand......... where the hell are you? Bangla?

Jim (yes, that's me!)

Edited by Gweiloman

Comparing my 240/45 tire with Jim's 190/50, it seems there would be no stripes (OK it's stripes and not strips) left if he was running my tire on his bike at that lean angle, no?

I'm too tired to do the trig (and after allanb's outburst in the CB300F thread disinclined to), so here's something you can do to get an idea. Take a toilet tissue roll and draw a line longitudinally. Draw another one parallel about 1/4 the circumference away from it. Stick a toothpick into the roll at 1/2 the circumference to be the rider. Set the roll down with the rider straight up in the air. Rotate the roll until the second line is touching the table top. Pick up the roll and crease it along the primary line so it makes an egg shape. Take note of how much further over the toothpick is and if you think that the added lean angle (you have to have the width of the egg shape some 2/3 of the original rolls to get a real feel for the difference) is achievable, than yes there will not be chicken stripes.

I'm too tired to do the trig (and after allanb's outburst in the CB300F thread disinclined to), so here's something you can do to get an idea. Take a toilet tissue roll and draw a line longitudinally. Draw another one parallel about 1/4 the circumference away from it. Stick a toothpick into the roll at 1/2 the circumference to be the rider. Set the roll down with the rider straight up in the air. Rotate the roll until the second line is touching the table top. Pick up the roll and crease it along the primary line so it makes an egg shape. Take note of how much further over the toothpick is and if you think that the added lean angle (you have to have the width of the egg shape some 2/3 of the original rolls to get a real feel for the difference) is achievable, than yes there will not be chicken stripes.

I'll read this post again tomorrow.

Goodnight gentlemen.

Jim (ytm!)

Jim, I'm in a different time zone so one hour behind Thailand and there's no whisky here (muslim countryrolleyes.gif) so my brain is still functioning...

One hour behind and a muslim country? Can't be right. Malaysia is one hour ahead, Indonesia is same as Thailand (incidentally, lots of whisky in both countries). Going west from Thailand......... where the hell are you? Bangla?

Jim (yes, that's me!)

Jim...Bangladesh.

**edit**

Or Kyrgyzstan or Kazakhstan.

Edited by dave_boo

I think it is totally understandable to have chicken strips if one only rides on public roads.

I only lost them on racetracks where I would scrape my toes.

If you are scraping your toes on public roads then you won't be alive too much longer.

I think it is totally understandable to have chicken strips if one only rides on public roads.

I only lost them on racetracks where I would scrape my toes.

If you are scraping your toes on public roads then you won't be alive too much longer.

Pictures? :)

I really think it depends on a bike, on a tire profile, some bikes (tires) will need to be leaned more than the others to get rid of strips.

Jim (yes, that's me!)

Yes Jim, Bangla.

Sure whiskey is attainable here if I really want but they make it complicated.

I don't think it is good to lean the bike over too far in the curves as it destroys those rubber projecting thingys thingies that come on new tires.

It is very labor intense getting those replaced, but labor here is cheap, so, all good. thumbsup.gif

I don't think it is good to lean the bike over too far in the curves as it destroys those rubber projecting thingys thingies that come on new tires.

It is very labor intense getting those replaced, but labor here is cheap, so, all good. thumbsup.gif

Really? I pay a lad with a pair of scissors 20baht per tyre to snip all these projecty thingies off my tyres :)

"The interesting thing as well is that by hanging off the bike, you keep the bike more upright. This is in fact safer than just leaning the bike without positioning the body but that means you will still be left with some chicken strips.

"Except on highly cambered curves, if the racers didn't hang off, they would have to lean so much that things'd start scraping.

Unless you are using the full tire width, there is no point in hanging I guess.

​Speaking of camper camber, how about those carnival guys who ride upside down in the "Globo del Muerte?'

No side-hanging there.

If I can't find any sandpaper I hang on the opposite side in turns...that will erase the chicken McNuggets strips stripes, even on gentle curves. thumbsup.gif

​And I'm not accusing anyone else of doing that, 5 5.

LOL, 1366x768 is the display resolution of the most common laptops that's been produced in the last 5(???) years.

Agreed but lets call that 1346x560 for most users by the time they've installed x number of "helpful" tool bars and the scroll bar has come into play. Anyway we digress and I've edited the offending image so it is not offending and everybody can get along.

You should see the tires on my 125....I did this morning and I think it's time for new rubber. Do I have to share them with you?

• Like 1

LOL, 1366x768 is the display resolution of the most common laptops that's been produced in the last 5(???) years.

Agreed but lets call that 1346x560 for most users by the time they've installed x number of "helpful" tool bars and the scroll bar has come into play. Anyway we digress and I've edited the offending image so it is not offending and everybody can get along.

You should see the tires on my 125....I did this morning and I think it's time for new rubber. Do I have to share them with you?

Yes, there's also a price for the widest chicken strips

I think that ANY credibility I have round here will be smashed just by posting a photo of my bike. So, here is a photo of my bike as it sees itself in it's dreams.

2014_Ducati_Monster_1200-9.png

It looks something like that (mainly that it has wheels...but I don't want to hurt it's feeling lest it hurts me!)

Personally I would dream of a Brutale Dragster or Confederate Wraith, but to each his own.

These are old photos since I only ride a lame scooter now.

I think the old Brutale ran Battlax BT02 street tires at Willow Springs.

The DTX250 was able to get the most lean because I rode it motard style and this was on the stock POS IRC tires at BRC behind Seacon Square.

Crappy tires don't get all gummy so no beneficial pictures were taken.

The DM Telai pocketbike ran Sava race tires; it was the funnest bike I ever had.

post-91685-0-73026100-1424864605_thumb.j

post-91685-0-66272500-1424864616_thumb.j

post-91685-0-79051400-1424864626_thumb.j

• Like 2

Puss chicken strips. That's good. I have never understood what's the point of cornering in a way so that those strips will be removed and then take photos of the tire to show that it's removed. Don't get me wrong, do whatever turns you on but this must be the strangest thing I have ever come across.

Edited by A1Str8

Sorry to say so but yes iam a chicken when it comes to chicken stripes on open roads, just dont want to risk my live too look cool for some. Tracks or Roads i know well i am fine to lean into my comfort zone.

This happen on a straight... and i am glad to be alive.

post-77479-0-82898000-1424934643_thumb.j

@Hili

I think I remember reading your post a few years back? You run into a pothole?

Right on an unknown road I would never test my limits - if I can't see around the corner and don't know the road, I take it easy.

Always ride with a safety margin in mind, in case the road patches, potholes around the bend, loose sand, reducing turning radius, idiots from oncoming lane cutting corners...

• Like 1