Booties?

WingNut

I would love to get a pair of these TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots from Revzilla:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-five-plus-boots

tcx_xfiveplusgoretex_black_boots.jpg

But I think if I ordered them online from the states that, with the cost of shipping and import duties, I could end up spending nearly US$500 for a pair even though they are only about $240 on the Revzilla web site. Plus, without trying them on first, I am not even sure I would be able to select the right size for my feet.

I am just wondering if there are any boots that are available in Asia that might come close to these boots in terms of quality and price?

Cheers...

Edited by WingNut

Panda carries TCX, but I don't recall seeing this model. You can try whatever TCX models they carry here, brands are often (but not always) consistent with their sizing. Combine this with Anthony's review and buyer's comments and you may be able to guesstimate how they'll fit you.

Shipping and taxes wouldn't be that high but I've not ordered from Revzilla before. I did order some gear from fc-moto.de and motoin.de, their prices are very competitive (no VAT when shipping to Thailand).

Why these specific ones btw?

• Like 1

Thanks, to answer your question, I had some long discussions with a couple of guys at Revzilla before and they strongly recommended these boots to me because they are made of Gore-Tex and will be very breathable and keep your feet dry in a hot country like Thailand.

I also just went back and reread the emails from them more closely though and to be honest they also recommended the TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex Boot, which they said would even be more breathable than the boot I mentioned above. Price is about the same, but these might be more comfortable on the feet for a hot country like Thailand:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-air-tech-gore-tex-boot

4407-TCX-Air-Tech-Gore-Tex-GTX-Motorcycl

The styling of the TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots I first mentioned is a bit nicer, but the TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex Boot would probably be more practical for Thailand.

Edited by WingNut

My experience with fabric+gore tex hiking boots is that they don't breath very well at all here. In fact they get very clammy, moist on the inside and also feel like they're cooking your feet. Unless you commute in the rain and keeping your feet dry is very important I would stay away from gore-tex. YMMV..

• Like 1

The X-Ride Waterproof model in the Touring line for only 5,200 Baht look really nice and not expensive at all. I wonder what type of real world protection they would offer though if you went down at 130KM?

Edited by WingNut

By the way, the one thing I really liked about the 2 models suggested by Revzilla is that they are both high length boots that come up quite a way on your shins. Panda has some like that but only really in the Sport boot designs. I was hoping for a nice high boot in more of a touring style, but they don't seem to carry any of those. Most of the touring boot designs Panda is selling from TCX are only ankle or half shin height. The X-Ride Waterproof model I mentioned is decent height, but again not as high as the ones from Revzilla.

Edited by WingNut

Check out the Daytona line at Panda- great boots, though a bit pricey.

just about the say the same, you were faster than me.

TCX boots are not very cheaper than Daytona boots in Thailand and Daytona boots are much more better quality and leather.

check panda rider.

I was about to buy that as it was last in the stock an old model and they were giving it for 6000 thb something but did not like a stupid that day and it was finished next time.

now it is 12 k thb:( i think best quality boots and leather that i see and hand made in Germany. you can hand a pair to your grandson when you are old enough to ride!

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Boots_daytona.htm

Boots_Daytona_410111.jpg

• Like 1

The Daytona Spirit XCR may be interesting, the only one in their range I could find which has perforated leather. Also uses Gore-Tex XCR is supposed to be 25% more breathable than normal Gore-Tex (GTX).

230 Euro after shipping at fc-moto.de, about 8,500 THB.

• Like 1

Thanks II. Those do look nice. A bit expensive though as you mentioned. I will probably head to Panda soon and check out what they have and if they have any sales on any older models in the 5,000-6,000 Baht range. As you know, I don't ride so much so just a decent boot that gives good protection is what I need. I am not so worried about it being the top of the line. I once bought a pair of boots that were Japanese made (part leather and part plastic) from Paddock. They looked very strong, were heavy, and had good protection. This was about 3 years ago and frankly they fell apart in about a year and I ended up throwing them away. Bad experience.

I am also guessing that finding stock on bigger sizes like 44 might not be so easy because I think the average foot size of riders here may be a bit smaller than mine.

The Daytona Spirit XCR may be interesting, the only one in their range I could find which has perforated leather. Also uses Gore-Tex XCR is supposed to be 25% more breathable than normal Gore-Tex (GTX).

230 Euro after shipping at fc-moto.de, about 8,500 THB.

Thanks. Price says 265 Euro on the site: http://www.fc-moto.de/Daytona-Spirit-XCR-GORE-TEX/en

Does this price include shipping?

There will also be a 30% import duty levied by Customs I imagine?

Thanks II. Those do look nice. A bit expensive though as you mentioned. I will probably head to Panda soon and check out what they have and if they have any sales on any older models in the 5,000-6,000 Baht range. As you know, I don't ride so much so just a decent boot that gives good protection is what I need. I am not so worried about it being the top of the line. I once bought a pair of boots that were Japanese made (part leather and part plastic) from Paddock. They looked very strong, were heavy, and had good protection. This was about 3 years ago and frankly they fell apart in about a year and I ended up throwing them away. Bad experience.

I am also guessing that finding stock on bigger sizes like 44 might not be so easy because I think the average foot size of riders here may be a bit smaller than mine.

it does not matter how much you ride.

if you ride, ride with proper, strong, stylish - as a bonus - gear and a daytona as i stated can be used by your grandsons after 40 years!

panda also gives 10 percent discount if you be a member.

• Like 1

When you register with an address outside the EU the German VAT gets automatically taken off the price. The price I mentioned above includes shipping.

I ordered twice and never paid anything here. YMMV..

The Thai law is anything delivered through the post office and valued at above 1,000 Baht will have an import duty levied by Thai customs.

I recently received some vitamins valued at $60 in the mail from a company in the USA. The Thai customs department charged me 30% import duty (which should only be 5% on food supplements) and another 13% VAT (VAT should only be 7%). I was too lazy to have the item sent back to customs for value reassessment so I just paid it. Sometimes they stop packages and sometimes they don't. It depends. If it is valued under $100 sometimes it gets through without a customs duty. But anything valued over US$100 gets charged a duty by customs. That has been my experience. Most of the time you can expect to pay a total of close to 40% of the declared value of the item.

it does not matter how much you ride.

if you ride, ride with proper, strong, stylish - as a bonus - gear and a daytona as i stated can be used by your grandsons after 40 years!

panda also gives 10 percent discount if you be a member.

I don't have any children, so giving it to my grandson may be a bit difficult :)

How do you become a member at Panda?

When you register with an address outside the EU the German VAT gets automatically taken off the price. The price I mentioned above includes shipping.

The Thai law is anything delivered through the post office and valued at above 1,000 Baht will have an import duty levied by Thai customs.

I recently received some vitamins valued at $60 in the mail from a company in the USA. The Thai customs department charged me 30% import duty (which should only be 5% on food supplements) and another 13% VAT (VAT should only be 7%). I was too lazy to have the item sent back to customs for value reassessment so I just paid it. Sometimes they stop packages and sometimes they don't. It depends. If it is valued under $100 sometimes it gets through without a customs duty. But anything valued over US$100 gets charged a duty by customs. That has been my experience. Most of the time you can expect to pay a total of close to 40% of the declared value of the item.

OK, my experience has been different. It could be that the post office in your area is more strict. In this case it may not be the best option for you to order stuff online.

• Like 1

OK, my experience has been different. It could be that the post office in your area is more strict. In this case it may not be the best option for you to order stuff online.

Thanks. Don't worry, I am not saying you are wrong. I have had some things get through without being hit for a duty too. So it varies from time to time. But usually anything over a value of US$100 gets hit for sure. Also, I don't think it is post office dependent. The customs duties for all postal items are levied at the main post office terminal in Lak Si I think by the customs department there. That I think is for all of metropolitan Bangkok postal deliveries. Perhaps if you are located elsewhere then it might go through a different postal customs office. But once it gets to your local post office then the duty has been levied and there is no way of changing it unless you want to send it back for reassessment which takes more time and is something I have never tried. So anything of value I buy from overseas I usually try and hand carry in myself or I have a friend carry it in. Otherwise I just buy local. Otherwise you never know what the cost will be and usually a 40% whack is too much to bare, so I don't take my chances.

Edited by WingNut

Here is some more info from the Customs Department: http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+postal+items/importingpostalitems+

I once saw a list on a web site of the different categories of import duties and the various rates. But I can't find it now. Anyway, everything is subject to a percentage ranging anywhere from 5% to 40% and then an added VAT of 7%, plus another 20 Baht stamp fee or something like that.

The above link confirms what I said though that anything with a declared value above 1,000 Baht has to pay an import duty.

Sometimes companies overseas will help you out by agreeing to put a lower declared value on the package, but these days most of them wont because they don't like to take chances. Buy eBay sellers usually will do it.

Edited by WingNut

If you've never gotten nicked on anything that's extremely lucky and uncommon. I think others here can also attest to that.

The only time I had to pay about 800 Baht more than I expected was when a seller (Eastbay.com) shipped my sandals with FedEx despite the fact I chose USPS. FedEx had some extra agency fees on top of 7% VAT, still no customs duty. I try to avoid shipping with FedEx / DHL if I can help it. I prefer USPS Express / Priority and just make sure to insure the item - which also means I declare the item exactly for what it is including its true value. The bike gear I ordered was from Germany, shipped with DHL EMS type (not DHL courier), both times zero fees in Thailand. Value of those orders was about 5,000 Baht and 8,000 Baht IIRC.

These days there's also the eBay Global Shipping program, you pay the duty fees in advance, so you get zero surprises from customs here. More and more sellers are offering this. I just tried it for the first time a couple of weeks ago getting an Amazon FireTV shipped this way from an eBay seller in the US. Paid $30 in total for shipping AND pre-paid duty which I thought was OK. USPS without duty would have been similar anyway. This program is door to door, UPS delivery. Took just a few days for the international leg (plus a few days at the eBay warehouse in KY).

• Like 1

That prepaid duty thing sounds like a great way to go. Yes, I've seen it offered before, but haven't tried it yet. I agree, it would prevent customs from having the opportunity to take the piss.

Also, that DHL bulk shipping method may sadly not be available for Thailand anymore. One company I order stuff from in the states used to offer it and then they stopped and put a notice on their web site saying that they were having some problems with Thailand on this shipping method, and, as a result were no longer able to offer it.

That's interesting! I've bough a bunch of stuff off eBay since they introduced the pre-paid duty, but I always ship to Canada and pick up while in there. If it really works with shipments to Thailand, it's something to consider! Has anyone else had a similar experience with prepaid duty to Thailand?

Customs is a crapshoot for sure.

Mostly I'm lucky but sometimes I get hosed with the high tax.

One time they taxed me on the shipping value since the contents had no value.

Anything that looks expensive in an X-ray machine draws attention.

Anyway, I have Sidi Vertebra Race boots from 15 years ago but the rubber sole has solidified and is dangerous to walk in.

I will have to get new soles glued on.

Many rubber/plastic items will get hard and/or crack from UV and oxygen exposure so be mindful before buying boots, hoses, gasket, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Panda Rider today for the first time. Nice looking shop, but a bit out the way in terms of location. Sales people are very helpful too. I tried on some TCX S-Sport Tour boots (photo attached).

Price was 6,400 Baht minus a 10% member discount. So they are nicely within my budget.

Problem I had was sizing. I tried a size 46 and they fit perfectly in the back, but too tight on the sides of the toes and pushed my toes together too much. Not much space in front of my toes either.

I understand when your feet are on the pegs at a 45 degree angle that your toes pull back a bit, but still the sides weren't comfy and I can imagine after a couple hours of riding they would be no fun at all.

They didn't have a size 47 in that model boot for me, but they had a 47 in another similar model. I tired the 47 and they fit perfectly in the front, but I had some extra space in the back and, when I walked around in them, my heels moved up and down in the back a bit. So not ideal either.

They offered to try and order a 47 for me in the S-Sport Tour model, but I assume they might be loose in the back too.

I'm not sure if I should buy a pair of TCX boots at all at this point since sizing doesn't seem quite right for my feet.

I also tried on a pair of Daytona in size 45. I think they were the Roadstar GTX model perhaps, and they fit more naturally to the shape of my foot, but there was something uncomfortable rubbing at the back of my foot on those so I'm not sure they would work for me either. Price was also double the TCX boots.

At this point I'm not sure if I should order a pair of those TCX boots though knowing they will be a bit loose in the back of the heel?

post-170983-14261479300796_thumb.jpg

Edited by WingNut

I went to Panda Rider today for the first time. Nice looking shop, but a bit out the way in terms of location. Sales people are very helpful too. I tried on some TCX S-Sport Tour boots (photo attached).

Price was 6,400 Baht minus a 10% member discount. So they are nicely within my budget.

Problem I had was sizing. I tried a size 46 and they fit perfectly in the back, but too tight on the sides of the toes and pushed my toes together too much. Not much space in front of my toes either.

I understand when your feet are on the pegs at a 45 degree angle that your toes pull back a bit, but still the sides weren't comfy and I can imagine after a couple hours of riding they would be no fun at all.

They didn't have a size 47 in that model boot for me, but they had a 47 in another similar model. I tired the 47 and they fit perfectly in the front, but I had some extra space in the back and, when I walked around in them, my heels moved up and down in the back a bit. So not ideal either.

They offered to try and order a 47 for me in the S-Sport Tour model, but I assume they might be loose in the back too.

I'm not sure if I should buy a pair of TCX boots at all at this point since sizing doesn't seem quite right for my feet.

I also tried on a pair of Daytona in size 45. I think they were the Roadstar GTX model perhaps, and they fit more naturally to the shape of my foot, but there was something uncomfortable rubbing at the back of my foot on those so I'm not sure they would work for me either. Price was also double the TCX boots.

At this point I'm not sure if I should order a pair of those TCX boots though knowing they will be a bit loose in the back of the heel?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1426147927.743177.jpg

Are you looking for day to day riding boots or mostly for touring purposes? For touring, I use Forma

post-143305-0-17539300-1426148643_thumb.

so comfortable, I can wear them the whole day long, walk in them even.

About 6-7,000 at Paddock

• Like 1

Good thing about the ROAD STAR GTX is that they are available in 3 different widths, not only different sizes:
stiefelsize.gif
Panda can order them, but i dont know how long it takes doing so. Panda only stocks the M sizes.

Daytona boots are nice. I have the ARROW SPORT GTX with GoreTex and i like them. Even in heavy rain my feets stayed dry (as long as no water gets in from the top). I use them together with soccer shin protectors as they are short boots. This combination is very comfortable. And its enough safety for me on my small bike.

ArrowSportGTX-detail1.jpg

• Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1426147927.743177.jpg

Are you looking for day to day riding boots or mostly for touring purposes? For touring, I use Forma

attachicon.gifforma.jpg

so comfortable, I can wear them the whole day long, walk in them even.

About 6-7,000 at Paddock

That you, they definitely look worth considering. But perhaps a bit too high up for me on the shins.