Thailand's industrial confidence index falls

webfact

Industrial confidence index falls

25-2-2558-10-01-05-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's industrial confidence index for February 2015 has fallen for the first time in a period of four months.

Suphan Mongkholsuthee, the president of the Federation of Thai Industries, revealed yesterday that the country’s industrial confidence index for the month of February 2015 has fallen to 91.1.

This figure previously stood at 92.7 in December 2014 and this is the first time that it has fallen following a sustained rise during the 4th quarter of last year, he said.

He attributed the drop to a fall in the purchasing power in the country especially for the agricultural sector.

Furthermore, this is compounded by economic volatility within the economies of Thailand’s major trading partners and the ever strengthening baht which has affected exports.

One final factor is the as yet undefined economic policies put forth by the government, he said.

Meanwhile the country’s domestic automobile market is also showing continuous signs of contraction but this is offset by an increase in automobile exports.

The slow economic recovery has taken its toll on domestic automobile sales which has fallen by 12.9% for January 2015 when compare to the same period in 2014.

More worryingly, when compared to figures for December 2014, automobile sales for January 2015 fell significantly by 33%.

Automobile exports however remain strong and grew by 14% in January 2015 when compared to the same period for 2014.

Total automobile production figures for January stood at 166,000 units representing a 2% increase over the previous year’s figures and an 8% increase from December 2014.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/industrial-confidence-index-falls

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-25

The Index has fallen, mainly because Thai people are in serious debt with the loans they have taken and can't pay back.

Repossessions have already started, people haven't got any money to spend.

I hope we are not heading for an economic recession.

Although, I do hope that the present government will implement laws and practices to avoid that.

But this is only a hope........................we have to wait and see.

The Index has fallen, mainly because Thai people are in serious debt with the loans they have taken and can't pay back.

Although, I do hope that the present government will implement laws and practices to avoid that.

It's either here or in psarokostaina ;)

The Federation of Thai Industries,is not towing the line,and is

out of step with what all other Thai institutions say,that everything

is great and things are booming,could not be betterfacepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

. I think they need a bit of attitude adjustment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Greece?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe Prayuth will pass a law against recession!

Anyone who reports that the country is in a recession is a danger to the nation's national security and will be invited to an attitude adjustment so that they understand why economic failure is needed to restore democracy.

• Like 1

Geez, Costas, if the value of the baht would fall you would get more baht for your drachma. coffee1.gif

I hate to break it to you but this government doesn't know how to manage an economy.

The govt can only effect a small part of the formal economy through taxes, interest rates and laws. The vast majority of the Thai economy is beyond their control in the informal market.

Bangkok can change company tax rates but the can't force them to pay minimum wage.

• Like 1

Many economists are predicting a slowdown in the Thai economy. If that happens and there are large job losses then a lot of Thais won't be able to meet their financial obligation then you will see a major economic slowdown. The SET is going to adjust down to the 1,300 to 1,400 level after the dividend paying period in April. After the dividend payout period is finished, then you will see how deep the correction will go. It seems that it is going to get interesting in 2015. Now is a good time to have some long-term saving in the bank and some cash on hand so you can buy some of the good deals that will become available.