which truck would you pick

rickthailand

Thai vehicles arent in the same league as the ones made in states. Problem with toyota is they are expensive and old.

And for some odd reason the most popular vehicle on the planet - could possibly be the design and reliability factors.....

Thai vehicles arent in the same league as the ones made in states. Problem with toyota is they are expensive and old.

And for some odd reason the most popular vehicle on the planet - could possibly be the design and reliability factors.....

They are the most popular in Thailand because they have been here longer than any other brand, very simple to understand.

• Like 1

It really depends on what you want to use it for. I've got a year old Ranger 2.2 Hi Rider XLT and use it for my every day car. No need for 4x4 as I'm never off road, I've put a Carryboy GMX on the back and a set of 20" mags & tyres on it to sharpen it up a bit, it's done 32,000km and never a problem. The 3.2 has more power than the 2.2 but is also more thirsty but I find the 2.2 more than enough for what I use it for. I'm a Ford man but I've driven Vigos, DMax and Tritons and liked them all but less so the Izuzu. Like other posters said, best to wait for the new Ford and Toyota around Q2 sometime and check them out before you decide. IMHO, the Ranger is by far the best looking truck around and although looks aren't everything, I'm certainly happy with mine and will trade for a new Wildtrak in another 12 months.

Strange question for OP to ask. Everyone has their own favourites and opinions. A truck is a truck, a work horse. A friend prefers his Vigo, but his wife prefers my D-Max. The Isuzu suits me. Had it five years and 90k on the clock. Never expected it to perform or handle like the Audi S3 I had in England. How many dealers in your area? I only had three. Nissan, great salesman 24 hr test drive, but Navarra drank at a rate of 8kl. Toyota, only J model single cab on display, bored salesman, no info on other models. So I went with Isuzu. Servicing cheap, great staff who can eventually understand my personal Lao/Thai/Yorkshire dialect when wife not there to translate. If first truck, I would just go with dealer you like best, or does the best discount.

I have had such good luck with my D Max Cab 4, I'd hate to chance anything else.

6 1/2 years, 180,000 km. Everything still works. Had a few minor problems all covered under warranty. Even still has 2 original tires. They are getting too hard, so I will be buying some soon but there is still lots of tread. If I'd known they would last so long, I would have kept tire conditioner on them.

It has all the bells and whistles even got the DVD player with reverse cam, except 4 WD. We were doing a lot of hiway driving at the time of purchase and I just couldn't see dragging all that weight around.

Forgot: 3 liter turbo. It really scoots. I get around 14 km/l and I have a heavy foot. It could be better with the gate down but Thais have a problem with that. Got no idea why but there are lots of other thing I don't get too.

Edited by Gonsalviz

I bought and love my Chevrolet Z71 Colorado 4X4 six speed AT 3.8Lt Diesel. Transmission can be used in the manual 1 thru 6 position or use the "D" or dummie position when just slogging around. You have power driver seat and I got extras including front bull guard - tint - liner - 8" DVD GPS monitor set up that uses the 6 speakers to the max! Leather seats and 4 doors make you feel and drive like the million THB it costs... a real deal all considered

the Ford Ranger and the Mazda are both built in the same plant, same engine, gearbox ETC, the main difference is the inside and the shell. I have had Fords for years, but engine parts brakes etc I always brought at a Mazda dealer. check it out, In America all Mazda and Fords are trucks are made at flat rocks just south of Detroit. same truck different companies. Plus one is cheaper. Ford has been a partner with Mazda for many years now.

I have a Mitsubishi Triton. just now and I love it has power, easy to drive, easy to service. when the turbo kicks in, look out. I had it five years not a problem. still looks and feels new goes up the mountains with ease, does not slide when braking, brought it when I first came to Thailand, but if I had to buy a new one it would a Ford, Mazda (same truck) or a Mitsubishi. I have done my home work on these, just depends on what you are looking for in style, power, comfort. etc.

Yep. Same Truck. I like Mazda's service center and the 107k discount they gave me with a three year warranty, tint, bedliner, chrome tie downs and two years insurance.

I wanted a Ford. But at 216k cheaper, the Mazda was a no-brainer.

Specs: Doublecab 4x4 3.2 AT

Price: THB 893,000

Model: 2014

I looked at the new Triton a while back. The interior is much nicer than the Mazda. But at 925,000 for a 2.4 AT 2wd I had to give it a miss. (it doesn't come with diff breathers either)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ford and Mazda are the only manufacturers that install differential breathers that run up into the engine compartment.

I bought a Toyota Hilux four door plain Jane 2 years ago, then Our fine lady Yingluck made the price of used cars plummet 30-40-50% and more..

I'm in for the long haul. Easy to get parts, and reliable. Just don't get a silver one, like every other second or third vehicle on the road in the Kingdom..

signed,

guiltysad.png

Had a Toyota Tiger for twelve years did about 445K and never did anything to the engine except change oil and filters.

Toyota are reliable and spares, if you ever need them are cheap and many garages out in the sticks can repair them.

Bought a new Vigo 4 door in Sept 13, so after the floods and no QC issues, everything perfect,

Would buy a Toyota every time.

There was a thread a week or so ago about Ford Rangers needing expensive repairs when out of warranty so may be worth looking at that thread

Durability and resale wise Toyota and Isuzu is the way to go.

My Isuzu is hitting 600,000 km, it is still going strong.

Bought my Toyota right before the big flood, drove the new car through 50-60cm deep water for couple hundred miles (my only way to work for the 2 month), truck has around 60,000 km, no problems so far.

The toyota feels quicker off the line compare to isuzu.

This thread again? I just went through this and I bought the new Toyota Vigo... Great truck...

why would you buy an old looking vigo when the new model is due out soon. Its a bad decision.

dmax is better

Rubbish.........rolleyes.gif

Old looking people drive old looking trucks.

Case in point.

This thread again? I just went through this and I bought the new Toyota Vigo... Great truck...

why would you buy an old looking vigo when the new model is due out soon. Its a bad decision.

dmax is better

Case in point.

Would you drive a 50 year old E-Type Jag today......?

I would.

Edited by transam

dmax is better

You could get old and grey waiting for any new product to come out. You wont get any good advice from us, all we do is bicker about whos truck is better. Just go out visit dealers and shop for the best deal you can get.

Been looking at this myself as I'm after a new truck, been to many auctions just to have a look and so that I could talk with as many mechanics/people in the trade as possible. They all said stay away from fords and the majority of people recommended Toyota, I actually wanted a Ford but think I'm swaying towards a Toyota now.

Why did your contacts say stay away from Fords?

Had a Toyota Tiger for twelve years did about 445K and never did anything to the engine except change oil and filters.

Toyota are reliable and spares, if you ever need them are cheap and many garages out in the sticks can repair them.

Bought a new Vigo 4 door in Sept 13, so after the floods and no QC issues, everything perfect,

Would buy a Toyota every time.

There was a thread a week or so ago about Ford Rangers needing expensive repairs when out of warranty so may be worth looking at that thread

Didn't that guy have company connections and ended up getting his truck fully replaced?

dmax is better

Case in point.

Would you drive a 50 year old E-Type Jag today......?

I would.

Not if it's a convertible one with the top down as that would royally bugger up my comb-over.

(what's your secret then?)

Been looking at this myself as I'm after a new truck, been to many auctions just to have a look and so that I could talk with as many mechanics/people in the trade as possible. They all said stay away from fords and the majority of people recommended Toyota, I actually wanted a Ford but think I'm swaying towards a Toyota now.

Some inverse envy thing from the drivers of trucks of dated design? Probably fueled by some sense of spurned loyalty after the manufacturers constantly promise them a new one each year for the past 3 years and then not deliver anything beyond a new bonnet line or extra badges.

We feel your pain (but don't necessarily understand it).

• Like 1

Some inverse envy thing from the drivers of trucks of dated design? Probably fueled by some sense of spurned loyalty after the manufacturers constantly promise them a new one each year for the past 3 years and then not deliver anything beyond a new bonnet line or extra badges.

We feel your pain (but don't necessarily understand it).

I read your post and think of transam lol

2 different theories at work....American manufacturers love to introduce new widgets and technology year after year to upgrade their products trying to push the envelope.....Unfortunately it can lead to some failures and resulting failires/TSB's/outright re-engineering of existing systems - again creating a need for a "new" next better inovation as the new years models come out....constantly reshuffling the deck.....that's why after 3-4 model years parts can be a problem for some vehicles....because of this there are some laws in place that parts have to be available for xxxx amount of years - unfortunately a manfacturer can/will wait for a certain amount of orders to build before the build more....you can get a locator to find where one has been shipped and hope that dealer will ship/sell it...but they know based on their sales tracking whether they'll have need of it or not - this can affect mechanical as well as crash repairs....you really haven't seen a really pissed of customer until you have to tell someone with a 3-5 year old vehicle their part is NLA basically their vehicle is obsolete.....

The Japanese tend to take a well operating system and make very small refinements year after year - no wholesale system changes and the systems - while not as flashy - tend to be very reliable and available....that's why you cam find parts for an 18 year old Toyota but nothing but a sad look and shake of the head if looking for a part for a 6 year old Ford.....if you ate around the large auto malls in the US you can follow the smarter-more informed employees as they aspire to work up to a solid import brand such as Toyota ..... they wish to work/make their living with less of a headache.....many seasoned quality people are astounded at the good differece going from American to Japanese based vehicles/systems and never look back.....I would take the "older" design any day if in for the long term.....

Spoken like a true Fortuner/Vigo hold out.

What's all that about America though?

Well....the OP was choosing between American and Japanese so that's what I wrote a post about....There is a fundamentally approach between the 2 and I gave simple overview that might be beneficial to him....the gap between the two is wider than that in many ways.....Did have a Hilux here and my ex-gf is probably still happily driving around in it....I spent 30+ years in automotive management,consulting, and assisting state agencies with evaluating policies and specific claims and procedures.....I have a Honda and Pajero here and 4 Runner and RV in the states....sold Lexus sports car before the move here & the Thai government took away a Pajero/Montero I brought here supposedly OK'd until it got here (it was one of the 20 nicest in the states - built it from the ground up)....so I guess you could say I'm in the Toyota camp - but it is based on a lot more than simple vehicle ownership.....

the Ford Ranger and the Mazda are both built in the same plant, same engine, gearbox ETC, the main difference is the inside and the shell. I have had Fords for years, but engine parts brakes etc I always brought at a Mazda dealer. check it out, In America all Mazda and Fords are trucks are made at flat rocks just south of Detroit. same truck different companies. Plus one is cheaper. Ford has been a partner with Mazda for many years now.

I have a Mitsubishi Triton. just now and I love it has power, easy to drive, easy to service. when the turbo kicks in, look out. I had it five years not a problem. still looks and feels new goes up the mountains with ease, does not slide when braking, brought it when I first came to Thailand, but if I had to buy a new one it would a Ford, Mazda (same truck) or a Mitsubishi. I have done my home work on these, just depends on what you are looking for in style, power, comfort. etc.

Yep. Same Truck. I like Mazda's service center and the 107k discount they gave me with a three year warranty, tint, bedliner, chrome tie downs and two years insurance.

I wanted a Ford. But at 216k cheaper, the Mazda was a no-brainer.

Specs: Doublecab 4x4 3.2 AT

Price: THB 893,000

Model: 2014

I looked at the new Triton a while back. The interior is much nicer than the Mazda. But at 925,000 for a 2.4 AT 2wd I had to give it a miss. (it doesn't come with diff breathers either)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ford and Mazda are the only manufacturers that install differential breathers that run up into the engine compartment.

I had the same thoughts, a FORD with the 3,2 l engine but that price whistling.gif and only in automatic,

I am no friend from automatic.

Would you not have a second thought if they have offered you a special deal for the manual transmission Mazda BT 50 with the 3,2 l engine?

I just noticed such a special discounted price for that model which makes me thinking. rolleyes.gif