Voters wary of promises in Britain's unpredictable election

webfact

That's not much these days....

Need to be sufficient to reduce the NEED for additional work and also attract good people.

At least 100k would me minimum

Check out how much they get in Singapore...

Singaporeans think they get too much, and that's after a reduction.

Grow up Billd

£67,000 a year is not big money - I know carpenters that earn more than that. Man, £300 a day for a tradesman is cheap these days.

So stop your idiotic class war and realize that these people deserve to be paid the going rate. Personally I think a deal should be on the table, minimum £300,000 a year for MP's - pay your own expenses. And then you can demand they have no outside jobs. It wouldn't bother me if the figure was £500,000 a year. We'd maybe get some real talent into Parliament then.

Comparing the wage of people in the public eye, under pressure from constituents every single day, to McDonald's employees is just rank stupidity.

Edited by phrodan

Surely you would prefer good people?

If you pay peanuts....

If you can get GBP5000 per day consulting, 5000 per month does not look much.

I agree state pension is inadequate. Check how it compares with France, Germany or the Scandinavian countries! As I say, we're better off keeping close to Europe....

See Cameron is sending military trainers to Ukraine, maybe he is searching for a good war to start flag waving.

At least Maggie had the sense to rumble with Argentina, there again no doubt Russia would be a pushover, wouldn't it?

The military trainers I remember being issued were rubbish. Cheap, no decent cushioned soles, no support for the ankles, fell apart in a few weeks. Worst pair of gym shoes I ever had!

Oh, I see now, oh dear.....

Edited by JAG

Grow up Billd

£67,000 a year is not big money - I know carpenters that earn more than that. Man, £300 a day for a tradesman is cheap these days.

So stop your idiotic class war and realize that these people deserve to be paid the going rate. Personally I think a deal should be on the table, minimum £300,000 a year for MP's - pay your own expenses. And then you can demand they have no outside jobs. It wouldn't bother me if the figure was £500,000 a year. We'd maybe get some real talent into Parliament then.

Comparing the wage of people in the public eye, under pressure from constituents every single day, to McDonald's employees is just rank stupidity.

<deleted>.

People who work at McDonalds PAY MPs their salaries and are in effect their employers. If MPs cannot afford to live on £67,000 a year then quit and find a job that pays more.

It bothers me how much they get paid because I am also a taxpayer. It is quite possible to demand that they have no outside jobs now and why should they? Let them be carpenters then and stop eating public money.

Nobody forces them to be an MP, they do it voluntarily know the salary before hand.

By the way why do you tell me to stop a class war. You have no idea who I am or what I did for a living or what my politics have been.

http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/08/mps-pay-in-singapore-and-other-countries.html

This shows MP's pay levels

As I say, I don't think 5k a month is enough

And what has attendance at the house got to do with the price of cheese?

For me, it's down to performance. How well have they researched the issues? How much time do they allocated to constituents?

I would like to see a reduction in the number of MPs though. 450?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-1715673/Britains-mean-state-pension-vs-other-countries.html

This shows the UK pension compared to Europe!

As I say, we should be looking to emulate some of the more civilised practises of our European Neighbours!

And before you knock that down, have you lived there?

I have. Germany and Denmark.

I can tell you that the social justice in these countries make me feel embarrassed about the UK sometimes......

http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2010/08/mps-pay-in-singapore-and-other-countries.html

For me, it's down to performance. How well have they researched the issues? How much time do they allocated to constituents?

Well lets get it down to performance related pay. A large number of these R.Soles would be due the Country 100's of Thousand's of quid.

They only thing they are good at researching is how to fiddle their expenses.

• Like 1

Yes, you're right I have no idea who you are. If forced to guess I'd say your a geriatric in your seventies, Rule Brittania type - that uses what is clearly class war language - then tries to wiggle out it cos your that desperate not to be wrong on the Internet. AND you can't work why it's in the country's best interest to have MP's that are paid more than brickies.

And while you're at that working out thing - apply a bit of logic. The deal offered to anyone that becomes and MP is the wage, plus expenses - plus the ability to take on a secondary income from elsewhere.

I am proposing that they should be offered a very attractive income with no expense payments, and give up the right to a secondary income.

You are proposing no increase in salary and to be stripped of the secondary income right.

I'll tell you something - NOT A SINGULAR Trade Union in the UK would tolerate that level of change to a contract. NONE.

So think about what your saying before posting.

Grow up Billd

<deleted>.

People who work at McDonalds PAY MPs their salaries and are in effect their employers. If MPs cannot afford to live on £67,000 a year then quit and find a job that pays more.

It bothers me how much they get paid because I am also a taxpayer. It is quite possible to demand that they have no outside jobs now and why should they? Let them be carpenters then and stop eating public money.

Nobody forces them to be an MP, they do it voluntarily know the salary before hand.

By the way why do you tell me to stop a class war. You have no idea who I am or what I did for a living or what my politics have been.

Gents, lets not get personal. We're having a perfectly reasonable debate!

I don't know how you would measure performance related pay?

Maybe an attendance allowance a la House of Lords?

Sadly, there are too many safe seats due to our electoral system. Would be good to see more MPs getting fired by the constituents voting them out!

Anyway, it would be good to get better people prepared to stand IMHO

BTW, any party who will index link pensions for expats gets my vote! Ha!

Sadly, there are too many safe seats due to our electoral system. Would be good to see more MPs getting fired by the constituents voting them out!

Nobody is getting personal.

You made a suggestion about performance related pay. I agree whole heartedly. The Country would claw back a fortune.

Nothing will change in Politics until the Party System is abolished. It is a system that allows complete failures to hide within the fold of the Party with next to no accountability. The only time they become accountable is when the Police come knocking and the Party drops them like a hot potato.

Where do you get the better people from ? There is probably a multitude of decent, honest individuals, who would bust a gut for the Country, unfortunately, they have no desire to get involved with any Party that dictates what they will say and do and how they will vote. To be part of any Party, the Party comes 1st, the electorate last.

If you halved there number it would still be too many. 730000 Americans have 1 member in the House of Representatives.

Nobody is getting personal.

You made a suggestion about performance related pay. I agree whole heartedly. The Country would claw back a fortune.

Nothing will change in Politics until the Party System is abolished. It is a system that allows complete failures to hide within the fold of the Party with next to no accountability. The only time they become accountable is when the Police come knocking and the Party drops them like a hot potato.

Where do you get the better people from ? There is probably a multitude of decent, honest individuals, who would bust a gut for the Country, unfortunately, they have no desire to get involved with any Party that dictates what they will say and do and how they will vote. To be part of any Party, the Party comes 1st, the electorate last.

Sadly I have to agree......

UK MPs are not paid nearly enough. Can not buy a decent house!

I would like to see fewer MPs paid much more and have gained experience outside of parliament

£67,060 basic, not counting fiddles expenses free postal/stationary, turn up for work when their pay rise is due. Yeah I'd like some of that.

Not paid enough!!!!! Crap

Tell them to live on the wage of a state pensioner.

My State pension is £8,312.52 per year and I paid for that with 44 years of NI contributions.

Yet Grouse says they don't get paid enough at £67,060 basic plus. If that isn't enough tell them the get off their fat lazy rrrrrrrrrrrrs, quit politics and get a zero hours contract job in McDonalds and then see what life is like for real people.

Try checking out how much the drivers on the London Underground get paid and what hours they work as one example, then post it on here!

Real people work in Union controlled jobs, as you must remember!

Edited by Anon999

I would like to see fewer MPs paid much more and have gained experience outside of parliament

£67,060 basic, not counting fiddles expenses free postal/stationary, turn up for work when their pay rise is due. Yeah I'd like some of that.

Not paid enough!!!!! Crap

Tell them to live on the wage of a state pensioner.

My State pension is £8,312.52 per year and I paid for that with 44 years of NI contributions.

Yet Grouse says they don't get paid enough at £67,060 basic plus. If that isn't enough tell them the get off their fat lazy rrrrrrrrrrrrs, quit politics and get a zero hours contract job in McDonalds and then see what life is like for real people.

Try checking out how much the drivers on the London Underground get paid and what hours they work as one example, then post it on here!

Real people work in Union controlled jobs, as you must remember!

Does it matter what anyone else gets paid.

They can always switch jobs, but the do not. I wonder why that would be ? It certainly wont be for the love of the Country.

Here you go Grouse.

On the subject of performance related pay.

A pre-election pledge.

Mr Cameron and the Home Secretary Theresa May vowed to reduce net migration, the difference between people coming to the UK and those leaving, to below 100,000 by this May

The release of the data by the ONS is significant because it is the last set of quarterly net migration figures ahead of the General Election.

The ONS figures showed:

:: The number people from outside the EU moving to the UK increase by 49,000 to 292,000

:: The number of people from the EU coming to the UK rose by 43,000 to 251,000.

http://news.sky.com/story/1434677/net-migration-rises-by-tens-of-thousands

That would be an epic FAIL.

I wont even start on the outside of the EU figures.

I will wait with bated breath to see how much of their collective salaries they hand back.

Edited by JockPieandBeans

Here you go Grouse.

A pre-election pledge.

Mr Cameron and the Home Secretary Theresa May vowed to reduce net migration, the difference between people coming to the UK and those leaving, to below 100,000 by this May

The release of the data by the ONS is significant because it is the last set of quarterly net migration figures ahead of the General Election.

The ONS figures showed:

:: The number people from outside the EU moving to the UK increase by 49,000 to 292,000

I will wait with bated breath to see how much of their collective salaries they hand back.

Wow, that's an epic fail. Written warning I think!

Any party hosting a bitch like Theresa May will not get my vote. People are sick and tired of the same old tripe. Let's have a change of tack with UKIP at the helm.

UKIP can shout and scream that all will change if they take power, but like Syriza in Greece, when reality strikes, they'll back down and everything will go back the way it was before.

Except of course that the UK will have a racist party in power which the financial markets won't like and that'll send the value of the £ down a bottomless pit. Expect parity with the euro at 36 Baht or thereabouts.

Best to think in your own self interests in times like these. Stability comes with either the Tories or Labour in power regardless of how much you may hate both.

• Like 2

It's a pittance. I have blokes working on site making more than that.

• Like 1

Pretty boring election campaign so far.

No surprise voters are nodding off during it..I had to brew some coffee reading through the thread to this point. Youse guyz need a little brass knuckles republicanism over there (not the Republican party, God forbid!).

As for paying MPs (yawn), either the voters pay 'em sufficiently or the 1% will pay the going rate, and that is true in any parliamentary democracy to include my own. At least youse guyz have public funding of campaigns which Americans myopically consider to be the craziest public welfare idea ever, handing money to some douchebag to get into politics. Fact is you get what you pay for so either the taxpayer or the 1% become the paymaster.

Political parties do provide stability and have occurred naturally to parliamentary democracy. The Founders of the USA did not see it to institutionalize it in the Constitution, but that wuz way back then and when. As for there not being a dime's worth of difference between Torries and Labour, it's been said for some time now Britain doesn't have an actual conservative party. That would be because of too much statism in Britain yet UK is far less statist than the continentials, are, the French especially but MED Europe too.

Just make sure as many people as possible stay away from the far right, the UKIP. Immigration and its impact on the UK need tightening for sure, but that is best left to the regular centrist and mainstream parties that themselves allowed the mess to occur. Fringe politics is never the answer...just ask the Germans.

And I have no apologies for butting into UK politics, society, government because I'm not really butting in on it and you, am I.....

Cheers and bon chance.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

It's a pittance. I have blokes working on site making more than that.

Their doing an honest days work.. If MPs want a raise gut their numbers dramatically. That's what my employers did.

The current government has been excellent. I'd happily settle for a second term of this coalition, but with the impending wipe-out of the Lib-Dems, I doubt it's going to happen.

The way the polls are going the next Parliament will be hung again, and I predict that no one will form be able to form a coalition government. So that will leave us in the rare position of having a minority government, which again would be good for the country.

The dark horse of the next Parliament is likely to be Alex Salmond, and the SNP - I've studied their policies for a while and they are not as left wing as people think. Business rates for small businesses in Scotland have been abolished, for example. That's not the work of a demented Marxist. I even noticed that the Scottish business community at a senior level said that they have never had such a responsive and approachable government. The money flows from business, and anyone that's going to business first has to be welcome.

And rough as it has been too - compliments to David Cameron and Iain Duncan Smith for forcing through welfare policies that the majority of us were demanding for years. Don't want to look for work - fine, your benefits are withdrawn.

Who among us is against that policy?

Governments of the day usually get vilified unjustly, or over-praised. John Major was vilified - but I bet the majority of us look back now at how he left the country in 1997 and wish we could get that back. I reckon in a few years time we'll look back at the current coalition and recognize their achievement.

If the SNP had won, by now the Scottish treasury would be bust looking at the current oil price.

Here you go Grouse.

A pre-election pledge.

The ONS figures showed:

From the BBC news website yesterday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31638174

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-31638180