Need new helmets

AllanB

Apparently, I have the biggest head in Thailand. I can never find an XL helmet. I'm really only 7 3/4 but it's hard to find a comfortable helmet.

And then it's really hard to find replacement visors. I buy a replacement visor when I buy a new one because you're going to need it soon with these cheap visors.

I have an Index helmet now and would buy it again if I ever saw it.

Can anyone recommend an online store I can order? Not the Index site.

But Allan, what about the safety? Aren't you concerned with full face helmet blocking the vision and hearing? It can't be safe riding blind and deaf. wink.png

Where did the OP say that full face helmets will block vision and hearing? I wear both full face and modular AND earplugs as well but I don't feel that my vision or hearing is reduced or impaired.

But Allan, what about the safety? Aren't you concerned with full face helmet blocking the vision and hearing? It can't be safe riding blind and deaf. wink.png

Where did the OP say that full face helmets will block vision and hearing? I wear both full face and modular AND earplugs as well but I don't feel that my vision or hearing is reduced or impaired.

That was mentioned in older Helmet topics, I'm too lazy to search for them now.

I believe the Shoei Neotec has been replaced by a newer model, the Multitec. It's the one I have. Not cheap, 20k baht mark but when you pick it up and put it on, you understand what you are paying for. Cut in recesses for intercom speakers, internal visor, pinlock, good ventilation. I've had mine now over 2 years and it still feels as snug a fit as the first day I bought it.

The Multitec is the older model. And apparently the Neotec has 276% more airflow than the Multitec. Thus my consideration of it. Although that doubt is still in the back of my mind.

276% more airflow !!

The original must have sucked :)

• Like 1

Air-flow is a problem with full-face helmets.

Sometimes I'm tempted to chuck up a drill bit and commence some serious perforating.

Seriously, round holes subtract very little from strength in most structures, right?

Pretty likely it would cause small cracks which would severely degrade the safety.

• Like 1

For cheapies like me; I like my Bilmola Defender.

I bought a Real for the GF but it is significantly lower grade in quality for the same ~2000b price.

I would not drill helmets or bike frames.

If you smashed a metal mixing bowl and comparably sized colander; I'm sure the mixing bowl would be better off.

I bought a real helmet because i was on a bit of a budget to get all the gear (jacket, boots, gloves and helmet) for under 20K baht. Bravo performance model.. $2500Bt. internal visor. got a free balalalaclalava with it which i wear. I tried wearing the helmet with and without the balalaclava and it is surprisingly better with it!

Real halmets also do a modular model called the cosmo. Website has a photo of the helmet but not with it flipped up.

Im starting to think my next helmet will be modular cause im sick of taking my helmet off every time i get pulled by the police (a lot). But one thing i have noticed with the modualar is not many have airvents. Maybe they expect you to flip the helmet for ventilation.

shark do a model called the evoline hakka modular helmet (review available on revzilla) around 12k baht

I thought I covered that in my opener, saying I we use an open faced helmet for city riding when maximum vision and hearing is important, this is for the highway where we ride faster and where a full faced helmet would, on balance, be a benefit. Which is the argument I made in the previous topic, but just as an addendum to that, I ride very slowly around town, I don't live in BKK where city riding could include a short burst at high speed. So a typical accident would involve dropping the bike at a stall, or getting hit by a truck. Anyway different topic, different day different year, back on topic SVP.

Yes balaclavas, that solves a big part of our problem. Where do you get them, which are the coolest ones, are these available in Thailand, or best bought in the UK when I go back?

I thought I covered that in my opener, saying I we use an open faced helmet for city riding when maximum vision and hearing is important, this is for the highway where we ride faster and where a full faced helmet would, on balance, be a benefit. Which is the argument I made in the previous topic, but just as an addendum to that, I ride very slowly around town, I don't live in BKK where city riding could include a short burst at high speed. So a typical accident would involve dropping the bike at a stall, or getting hit by a truck. Anyway different topic, different day different year, back on topic SVP.

Yes balaclavas, that solves a big part of our problem. Where do you get them, which are the coolest ones, are these available in Thailand, or best bought in the UK when I go back?

A note.

If buying in UK make sure that it's a summer one rather than an insulated one which seemed to be more common on Revzilla.

• Like 1

I bought nice silk (ish) balaclava from K Speed. Love it.

Keeps the helmet line from getting too smelly too quickly. Not any hotter than without it. 200 baht

Silk sounds good, where is/are K Speed?

When you say silk (ish) i assume the material stretches?

So if it acts like a washable lining then, two each then at that price.

For an online site in Thailand try

www.helmet2home.com

if nothing else it will give a general idea of pricing.

For reviews on helmets and all bike related equipment. They do include useful comments about the ventilation.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

For independent safety testing you can always try this site from the UK

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home

If you are thinking of buying from the UK then may I suggest

www.motoin.de

or one of the other German outfits. Helmets in the UK are not subject to VAT (or at least they wern't). The helmets I have looked at before have been cheaper in Germany with a 19% tax on than in the UK with no tax. The outfit mentioned above and others will automatically deduct the VAT which will just about pay for the postage. I have used this particular company before and found them to be reliable.

I have the same issue as some others. "toboggan noggin"

A huge oval shaped head.

I will be checking out helmets in BKK this weekend or early next week. At least if I can find some brands and sizes that fit, I can then order online.

I am also looking for a skull cap open face for my 3 km ride to and from work. ( 200m on public roads, the rest inside RTARF gates)

A huge oval shaped head.

I will be checking out helmets in BKK this weekend or early next week. At least if I can find some brands and sizes that fit, I can then order online.

I am also looking for a skull cap open face for my 3 km ride to and from work. ( 200m on public roads, the rest inside RTARF gates)

I found Icon fits my similarly shaped head very well. HJC has always seemed to be too round for me (i.e. tight front to back and loose on the sides).

www.helmet2home.com

For reviews on helmets and all bike related equipment. They do include useful comments about the ventilation.

www.motoin.de

or one of the other German outfits. Helmets in the UK are not subject to VAT (or at least they wern't). The helmets I have looked at before have been cheaper in Germany with a 19% tax on than in the UK with no tax. The outfit mentioned above and others will automatically deduct the VAT which will just about pay for the postage. I have used this particular company before and found them to be reliable.

Revzilla ships to Thailand using a Thai bank card. Note that they don't send stuff if the manufacturer prohibits it (some helmets I've noticed). You also get the great USA prices!

I'd still recommend trying helmets on before buying though.

A huge oval shaped head.

I found Icon fits my similarly shaped head very well. HJC has always seemed to be too round for me (i.e. tight front to back and loose on the sides).

The "best" of my current helmets is a "Monza" which I think is made by Index.

Too tight in the front.

I have an old beanie I picked up in Phuket when I lived there that is a perfect fit, but it is way too old. I only wear it for trips to 7-11 (10km on concrete roads that are speed restricted)

I just got confirmation that I am free from duties Wednesday-Sunday so I will be in BKK then.

Does anyone know helmet shops in the BangKapi - BangNa strip along Sri Nakarin?

Plus if anyone wants to grab lunch in that time.. I am planning to grab a bite at S&P at Rama 9 Park ( by the lake)

Anybody can recommend a really quiet helmet?

I have a Shark Speed R for a year, it's a great helmet, very comfortable after break-in. The break-in took many months.

Now I want something that can isolate the sound more. I usually wear ear-plugs with this helmet, my pipe is quite loud. :D

HE4700EBLK-1.jpg

www.helmet2home.com

www.motoin.de

Revzilla ships to Thailand using a Thai bank card. Note that they don't send stuff if the manufacturer prohibits it (some helmets I've noticed). You also get the great USA prices!

I'd still recommend trying helmets on before buying though.

They maybe great US prices but unfortunately for my helmet at least, a Nolan, they are considerably more expensive.

Anybody can recommend a really quiet helmet?

I have a Shark Speed R for a year, it's a great helmet, very comfortable after break-in. The break-in took many months.

Now I want something that can isolate the sound more. I usually wear ear-plugs with this helmet, my pipe is quite loud. :D

HE4700EBLK-1.jpg

How much airflow do you get with this helmet? Any good?

when looking at the k-speed website, dont go to the rama 3 shop, its closed down. Bought many stuff from k-speed. Good shop.

I think that a heavier helmet is warmer here so I bought an ls2 carbon helmet for 5000 ish. Im very happy with it. Bought an expensive but good baclava at real motosports when I bought my bike for 650baht also a good quality one.