If my dog drags his bum on the ground, does he automatically have worms?

Coota

How to Empty Your Dog’s Anal Sacs

If your dog suddenly takes scooting along the carpet to wipe her butt, you may be in for a real treat — the dubious pleasure of expressing your best friend’s anal sacs. Lots of licking or chewing of his rear or tail is another sign that it’s time to get rid of fluid build-up.

Anal sacs, or anal glands, carry some smelly fluid and occasionally need to beexpressed, or emptied. Many dogs express them by themselves every time they poop — the sacs are around a dog’s anus — but occasionally the sacs fill with fluid and your dog needs some help to release the fluid.

Ask your vet before attempting to express your dog’s anal sacs for the first time, because the process can cause impacted anal glands and, in really bizarre instances, can rupture the sacs. And, keep in mind that expressing the anal sacs too often can lead to impacted anal glands, and failing to care for them may lead to infection.

If you're not 110% sure you want to take on the task of expressing your dog's anal glands, don't hesitate to turn the nasty job over to trained staff at your veterinary office. The cost is minimal, especially compared to the damage you could cause (and the smell you'll be exposed to).

They have a gland that clog's up , you have to get it cleaned, or put a glove on and do it yourself, a vet can do.

Yup. My Labrador had the same problem. vet cleaned him out with a couple of ear buds.

Sounds right konying, he has a lot of fleas and hates the flea spray. What is capstar?

takes care of the itch. .. take note,this not for your gf's dragging her butt across the floor, ehhhh..... thats something else :-)

Try the ice cube, it works honest.

yes leo i can vouch for that,after a night on the scrumpy and then a vindaloo curry i used to sit on a bag of ice cubes,and it does work.thumbsup.gif

better than scratching and getting a soar bum.w00t.gif

Almost certainly anal glands/ducts/sacs. You can squeeze them yourself, and there's probably youtube info, but hand it over to your vet, simple procedure for him/her, cheap enough, and no potential for you to screw it up.

If you squeeze unevenly, the dog will walk with a lean toward the undrained side............only joking about the lean.

Edited by F4UCorsair

If the dog does this everyday and very often it can be glands, worms, ticks or fleas. If it happens only now and then its an itchy bum, just like ours sometimes itchs. If it happens too often take the dog to the vet to make sure. Deworm every 3 months and use heart worm pills monthly. These heart worm pills also kills ticks and fleas.

If the dog does this everyday and very often it can be glands, worms, ticks or fleas. If it happens only now and then its an itchy bum, just like ours sometimes itchs. If it happens too often take the dog to the vet to make sure. Deworm every 3 months and use heart worm pills monthly. These heart worm pills also kills ticks and fleas.

What brand of heartworm tablet also kill fleas and ticks? Never heard of that before.

It is most likely that his anal glands are blocked. Easy to treat. My advice

!. Go to a vet and let him evacuate the glands for the first time so you can watch what he does. (Believe me, it is easy to do it yourself)

2. Wear latex or plastic gloves when you do it, the discharge smells.

3. Keep you face away when you squeeze.

It could be the so called anal sac disease; my former dog had it too. Every 6 months those anal glands had to be squeezed out, and it relieved him till the next round.

See this link and hope it helpsthumbsup.gif :

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/anal-sac-disease-dogs

I was scanning the posts looking for this. Yes, you can "express" these sacs yourself. Sometimes they will be rude and musky to smell. It is not always worms. It could be itchy butt, bites, worms, or the sacs. Just imagine something akin to blueballs. Digitally, you can (wear gloves, dude) insert one finger and use the other to squeeze sides. Look on google. This will often help and whether it does or not you will have taken your friendship to a new level cheesy.gif

Sounds like anal glands are blocked, dogs very rarely drag their bottoms when they have worms. Its easy to unblock them yourself. Get some lubricating gel, disposable thin gloves, and picture in your mind a clock face. the position of numbers 4 and 8 on the clock, is where the glands are positioned inside the anus, Hopoefully you have small fingers to cause the least discomfort to your dog. Gently squeese with your thumb inside the anus and your finger on the outside. and with a bit of luck and good sense of feel you will see some brown black fluid run out. there is another way. you can creep up behind your dog and give him/her a big scare, and they will often release the gland content temseslves.