New traffic law to empower Thai police to suspend car use

webfact

I would like to see it go further stoped at check point

No driving licence car impounded

No insurance car impounded

Not road worthy car impounded

car or motorbike only returned when all legal requirements are met.

They would need a bloody big impound yard.

Do not agree. For all of these offence's the car should be scrapped. If the car doesn't belong to the driver, then the car owner shouldn't had let the person driving it do so. Hard luck.

Do not agree. For all of these offence's the car should be scrapped. If the car doesn't belong to the driver, then the car owner shouldn't had let the person driving it do so. Hard luck.

so you think taking a car away would stop someone from driving?????

Targeting those who abide and cooperate with getting insurance and licensing is only the tip. It is not fair to not have any statement about how the law scoffers will be dealt with. I submit that there are far more people who have no insurance and licenses (much less license plates), and who would simply ignore this and continue on. Those are the people who will overburden and overtax the police force to the point of exasperation.

This all sounds good at face value, but the culture will cut this man's monumental idea right down to a toothpick. Even were it to be so, one must also consider that transportation here is vital to people's livelihood. I am not saying that these people are legal and are good drivers; but were this law to be ratified and carried out successfully, there would be so many thousands of people without any transportation, and thus not able to have a livelihood.

When anyone in the government describes their ideas for fixing things that involve correcting behavior and compliance that requires paying out money, then they are really out of touch with the way things are, and the likelihood that enforcing these novel ideas would create more chaos than they could ever imagine.

That is my take on this.

• Like 2

500cc and up should be allowed on toll roads and expressways also since there aren't many bikes that size.

I agree, all they need to do is limit the over passes and freeways to bikes over a certain capacity. The problem is to them a Mo Cy is a Mo Cy, there is no difference.

You can't make an arbitrary decision on size! The problem is how they share the roads here, most motorcycles hug the side or even use the shoulder asa bike lane - this means that on most flyovers in BKK there simply isn't enough width.

Larger bikes can keep up - much smaller than 500cc - but again the nature of how they mingle means that unless they take up the same space as a car they are endangering themselves and other road users. So....back to basics - you can't just hand out a dictum with no groundwork first.

Why not? We do here in England. Vehicles below 125 and learner drivers are not allowed on our Motorways.

There is also a stepped licence system. You have to take a test on a larger bike before you can ride it.

• Like 1

It is about time, but please don't just talk about it. Do it. Traffic police should also be put into more cars and stop drivers when they are seen breaking traffic laws.

The cost of fuel alone would bankrupt most police departments.

Not if the revenue from all the fines and tickets was collected and put back into the Traffic Police force. I think the secret is a central ticket service. Then the Police officer does not have to handle money at all.

No chance of a bribe then.

Edited by Carol Jadzia

I seriously get anoyed with those flyovers where motorbikes are not allowed. Its a pain in the ass for no real reason at all.

Near where I live you can take the flyover one way.. but not the way back.. crazy. Its not motorbikes that hold up traffic.. it never is. Just an outdated law same as the law that tells motorbikes to stay on the left (deathlane). I can understand it for those meals on wheels motorbikes.. but regular ones.. and big ones like me that go much faster as cars.

Let them go after red light jumpers.. but that is too much work for them. I think anyone agrees red light jumpers are a risk.. but you NEVER see them go after that. They go after easy cash.

I agree, all they need to do is limit the over passes and freeways to bikes over a certain capacity. The problem is to them a Mo Cy is a Mo Cy, there is no difference.

500cc and up should be allowed on toll roads and expressways also since there aren't many bikes that size.

You can't make an arbitrary decision on size! The problem is how they share the roads here, most motorcycles hug the side or even use the shoulder asa bike lane - this means that on most flyovers in BKK there simply isn't enough width.

Larger bikes can keep up - much smaller than 500cc - but again the nature of how they mingle means that unless they take up the same space as a car they are endangering themselves and other road users. So....back to basics - you can't just hand out a dictum with no groundwork first.

I don't agree.. never any problem on flyovers at all. Its more that they want to make it hard on bikes nothing else. Its money maker for the cops. As i said flyover near ngam wong wan.. you can go one way but not the other (same bridge and so its identical). Besides if they take up the same space as a car there is still no problem. They could have 4 bikes for one car.

True. I've often wondered what the logic on that bridge was. I reminded myself later not to think with that part of my brain ;):P

"He said at present there are 400-500 hot spots in Bangkok where motorists regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed, and parking at restricted areas.'

That's right, deal with the important offenses, never mind the speeders, red light jumpers or sidewalk riders. Up here in Pathum Thani, a cop is a rare sight unless they are grouping to catch helmet-less mo'cy riders in a tunnel or under a bridge.

Get more boots on the ground khun Prawuti. You will be thanked.

I seriously get anoyed with those flyovers where motorbikes are not allowed. Its a pain in the ass for no real reason at all.

Near where I live you can take the flyover one way.. but not the way back.. crazy. Its not motorbikes that hold up traffic.. it never is. Just an outdated law same as the law that tells motorbikes to stay on the left (deathlane). I can understand it for those meals on wheels motorbikes.. but regular ones.. and big ones like me that go much faster as cars.

Let them go after red light jumpers.. but that is too much work for them. I think anyone agrees red light jumpers are a risk.. but you NEVER see them go after that. They go after easy cash.

I can keep dreaming about this.. but it will never happen. I don't even care about the express way. I care about flyovers and the crazy stay on the left lane rule. Its not that I have been caught often. (almost never) but its annoying.

Not practical. Stopping bikes to check their engine sizes.....only for the rider to reLise their 500 super speed is actually a 498.5cc power plant. 555555

Not practical. Stopping bikes to check their engine sizes.....only for the rider to reLise their 500 super speed is actually a 498.5cc power plant. 555555

Actually it is possible. Not easy, but it is exactly what happens here.

There is an obvious difference between the average scooter or food delivery vehicle ect. and a solo motorcycle over 500CC

Yes there are always going to be those who fall just below. But that is the same with any such rule. Winners and loosers.

Just the rule makes more sense with today's modern large capacity bikes both fully able and capable of maintaining higher speeds on express ways.

If you want to argue for a law like this you have to make a reasonable argument.

If you feel there is somewhere better to draw the line then that's fine, but it needs to be drawn somewhere.

My pet peeve is the number of unroadworthy 3 wheelers and work pick-ups on the roads. You have all seen the garbage out there on the roads.

The common response to my argument about taking them off the road is that the people who own them are poor and can't afford to fix them. Really!

In the case of 3 wheelers they should be impounded on the spot and not returned until the owner has arranged to have the faults corrected and police inspected for work done. If they have money for cigarettes and whisky they can find the money to fix their 3 wheeler.

With work pick-ups it's off the road ASAP, book cancelled, sell for scrap. If a business person cannot buy a decent pick-up or maintain it they shouldn't have it.

post-63954-0-33482500-1425078321_thumb.j

And I have seen worse!

There is an obvious difference between the average scooter or food delivery vehicle ect. and a solo motorcycle over 500CC

Yes there are always going to be those who fall just below. But that is the same with any such rule. Winners and loosers.

Just the rule makes more sense with today's modern large capacity bikes both fully able and capable of maintaining higher speeds on express ways.

If you want to argue for a law like this you have to make a reasonable argument.

If you feel there is somewhere better to draw the line then that's fine, but it needs to be drawn somewhere.

In the US, the only limitation is if you can you go fast enough to meet minimum speeds. Bicycles and mopeds aren't allowed on the expressways because they can't maintain at least 45 MPH. My MC in Dallas is the 250cc version of my Bangkok Honda CBR 150 and I am allowed on any street or highway; including Interstate highways; I can also use any lane I choose. My Bangkok bike would also qualify for any street or expressway in the US. I don't understand the rationale for keeping bikes to the left or for banning bikes from flyovers or banning larger/faster bikes from the expressway. It can't be safety related as they let my friend drive his Mercedes Benz and he is a maniac on the road (he is a maniac off the road too). Do any Western countries ban motorcycles from flyovers or the inside lanes?

• Like 1

In the US, the only limitation is if you can you go fast enough to meet minimum speeds. Bicycles and mopeds aren't allowed on the expressways because they can't maintain at least 45 MPH. My MC in Dallas is the 250cc version of my Bangkok Honda CBR 150 and I am allowed on any street or highway; including Interstate highways; I can also use any lane I choose. My Bangkok bike would also qualify for any street or expressway in the US. I don't understand the rationale for keeping bikes to the left or for banning bikes from flyovers or banning larger/faster bikes from the expressway. It can't be safety related as they let my friend drive his Mercedes Benz and he is a maniac on the road (he is a maniac off the road too). Do any Western countries ban motorcycles from flyovers or the inside lanes?

i explained why above.

How did a thread about police suspending CAR use morph into a thread about motor cycles/ scooters and the size of their engine?

No matter how large the engine, a motorcycle is not a car!!

P.S. I am American and am guessing that a lot of you guys are Britts or Aussies...can someone please explain <deleted> is a "flyover"?

This thread was about cars, then motorcycles...now it's about aircraft too?

How did a thread about police suspending CAR use morph into a thread about motor cycles/ scooters and the size of their engine?

No matter how large the engine, a motorcycle is not a car!!

P.S. I am American and am guessing that a lot of you guys are Britts or Aussies...can someone please explain <deleted> is a "flyover"?

This thread was about cars, then motorcycles...now it's about aircraft too?

A 'flyover' is a bridge over an intersection. If you are not turning left or right at the intersection, stay in the middle one or two lanes and continue over the intersection without having to stop; you 'fly over' the intersection. If you are turning at the intersection, stay in the far out-side lane and you will come to the traffic light (some don't have traffic lights in which case you have to turn left and then U-turn to go in the direction you want). I think the thread turned into motorcycles because they are the predominate form of transportation and much faster through traffic. Airplanes are not technically motor vehicles as are cars, trucks, and motorcycles but I see your point. If more members were interested in commenting on the car aspect of the story, they there would be more posts of that type. Personally, I hate driving a car in the city and watching all the motorcycles continue on their journey while I sit through three cycles of the traffic light to get through the intersection. Wash, rinse, repeat. I don't know if lane-splitting is legal in Bangkok but every motorbike does it and I have never seen the police interfere with the practice. I wear a helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, and long pants (no white skin showing) and have not been stopped once in five years. Since there are few opportunities to discuss rules-of-the-road on this forum, talking about the Thailand-only restrictions is interesting to those of us who ride motorcycles. Sorry if it bothers you; I didn't know it would. Do you drive in Thailand?

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 2

i explained why above.

Is this the explanation you are referring to?

the nature of how they mingle means that unless they take up the same space as a car they are endangering themselves and other road users.

In Dallas, cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles mingle just fine and they all take up different amounts of space. I, using your logic, could say, "unless cars take up the same space as a bus they are endangering themselves and other road users". I still fail to understand why, in Thailand, motorcycles can't use flyovers and must stay in the outside lanes. Your explanation is vague and not satisfying, hence I ask the question again.

The problem is how they share the roads here, most motorcycles hug the side or even use the shoulder asa bike lane

I don't know where you drive but everywhere I ride in Bangkok, motorcycles do not hug the side as they are afraid some idiot tourist will open the traffic-side door of a taxi in front of them or a bus will suddenly pull out. Also, I've never seen a bike lane in Bangkok; I would be interested to see if it is being enforced.

Riding a Scooter in Bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDlqDiEKl8 so much for hugging the side.

There are tons of videos on YouTube re; motorcycles in Bangkok. biggrin.png

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

, but it is exactly what happens here.

i explained why above.

Is this the explanation you are referring to?

the nature of how they mingle means that unless they take up the same space as a car they are endangering themselves and other road users.

In Dallas, cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles mingle just fine and they all take up different amounts of space. I, using your logic, could say, "unless cars take up the same space as a bus they are endangering themselves and other road users". I still fail to understand why, in Thailand, motorcycles can't use flyovers and must stay in the outside lanes. Your explanation is vague and not satisfying, hence I ask the question again.

The problem is how they share the roads here, most motorcycles hug the side or even use the shoulder asa bike lane

I don't know where you drive but everywhere I ride in Bangkok, motorcycles do not hug the side as they are afraid some idiot tourist will open the traffic-side door of a taxi in front of them or a bus will suddenly pull out. Also, I've never seen a bike lane in Bangkok; I would be interested to see if it is being enforced.

Riding a Scooter in Bangkok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TDlqDiEKl8 so much for hugging the side.

There are tons of videos on YouTube re; motorcycles in Bangkok. biggrin.png

Unfortunately you don't seem to get the picture - in Thailand the bikes in general do NOT take the same space (width) as a car - they often cling to the side of the road - this is not possible on a flyover, especially in Bkk as it means cars have to encroach on the next lane - this is not safe and often not possible.

weaving a filtering are a different issue, it is the basic perception of the amount of road space even the road engineers believe a bike should have - they are of course making a serious mistake, but once the narrow lanes were made the motorcycles had to be banned.

It also needs to be remembered that it was ILLEGAL to own or manufacture bikes over 150cc until recent changes appear to have either changed or ignored that law. This means larger and quicker bike are much more common than even 5 years ago.

The line has already been drawn. Cars okay. Motorcycles not okay. End of.

so how would you fix an impounded unroadworthy car?

properly enforcing the fines is a start, impounds are pointless if the tickets are being written.

In Australia if fines aren't paid your registration is suspended and if caught driving that vehicle the owner and driver will get a fine for using an unregistered vehicle. Number plate recognition system is fitted to many police vehicles and scans hundreds of vehicles automatically whilst simply patrolling the streets. If the in car system detects an unregistered vehicle the officer is alerted.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have like 10 unpaid Speeding CaM bills in the trash-bin ^^ many of them up to 5yr old now . . . .

I allready got a fine for driving motobike on a flyover bridge. 500 baht and they even sent pictures to my home.

How will they do that with all the bikes that drive around without licenseplates?

Is that not the route of the problem?

If the current laws were enforced correctly then the money gained could be used for improving road safety and driver education.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have like 10 unpaid Speeding CaM bills in the trash-bin ^^ many of them up to 5yr old now . . . .

I allready got a fine for driving motobike on a flyover bridge. 500 baht and they even sent pictures to my home.

How will they do that with all the bikes that drive around without licenseplates?

Is that not the route of the problem?

If the current laws were enforced correctly then the money gained could be used for improving road safety and driver education.

I agree with you but i myself have had more then 70 hours of drivinglessons with an instructor. No Thai ever got that.

Also i can't read the thai language and the signs for motobikes not to drive on the flyover hang above the rightside lane. So i stayed on the left land but got the fine.

I think the drivers have to pay all damage/accidents themselves, if they feel unsecure while driving then they should pay for their own lessons. Especially drivers who drive in BKK for the first time have no idea what traffic is about here. Same as the youth, i even know young girls who drive drunk and don't care at all. They know exactly what time the police goes home or where they have alcoholtests so they avoid those places.

• Like 1

this 500cc stuff is schoolboy nonsense.

the limit on UK motorways in 50cc.

It is nothing to do with the size of the bike - it is the way they are expected to be driven.

any "step-thru" is quite capable of keeping up with the traffic in Bkk - it is just the lanes on flyovers are too narrow for the way they are driven