Jazz and Blues in Chiang Rai

pomchop

For any Jazz and/or Blues lovers out there I highly recommend a place called Baan Don Sod (house of improvised music).

It is located near the traffic light on the right side just past la vie en rose hotel going towards town from den ha. Open every night except monday it is Jazz from 8;30 til 10;30 then blues 10;30 til midnight.

The owner is a Thai guy named Jack who is also a music professor at CRU. Jack and his fellow musicians are hugely talented...there are usually four thais who play and some of them can play multiple instruments and have the ability to switch from drums to bass to keyboards to lead guitar etc....

Some nights they also have a few farang guys who play and sing but the Thai guys are the real attraction in my opinion.

It is a small place with seating inside for about 15 or so with additional outside seating...sitting inside you are up close to some very talented musicians ...in fact some of the most talented i have ever seen anywhere in Thailand.

Beers are 65 baht and they have a small snacks menu with good fries.

Hard to figure about the crowds...some nights it is full and other nights hardly anyone there. I would recommend from 9 pm to midnight to get a good sample of the jazz and then the blues (which i think is fantastic).

Anyway...my two baht worth but I do think it is a great spot and hopefully will get enough customers to keep going for a long long time.

Edited by pomchop

• 4 weeks later...

I have looked for this place and failed to find it. I'm sure it is becasue I do not know that area very well but would you mind giving me a bit more specific direction or describe the building a bit?

I'm looking forward to visiting it. Thanks.

I have looked for this place and failed to find it. I'm sure it is becasue I do not know that area very well but would you mind giving me a bit more specific direction or describe the building a bit?

I'm looking forward to visiting it. Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/BaanDonSod

as mentioned just past the la vie en rose hotel..that is a fairly large and newish hotel which is on the right side as you drive from den ha into town...sorry i don't know the name of the road.....baan don sod is a small brown one story building that is just before the traffic light also on the right after you pass the hotel....it is right next door to a big piano studio/store which sits on the corner at the stoplight.....above facebook has a map but in thai....just ask around for where hotel is and then it's easy to find baan don sod....

fyi i have been several more times and the music there on some nights is incredibly good....friday night seems the busiest night ...they attract all kinds of "guest" musicians from bangkok and all over ...

enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

The Jazz/Blues Music Club is located One Street (at the Traffic Light) South from the Chiang Rai Condotel.

The Place is on the South-West side of that Traffic Light, next to the Piano Music Store and Instruction.

Another point of reference is around the corner from LEK Guest House Chiang Rai.

The club is 75 meters west from the traffic light down the main road going out of Chiang Rai town that goes toward Den Ha

Edited by KimoMax

• 1 month later...

I visited this bar last week, no-one there but the staff - ok I was early, maybe it gets busier later. On to Artbridge, 2 farangs in view. Drove around the centre of town - no farangs in sight. Down Jet Yod Rd - 2 farangs in sight. Central, no farangs in sight.

I like it quiet, but that was eerie...