Australian graduates from Thai open university

Thaivisa News

First I thought- what a smart guy but that was before I read this:

He decided to switch to the Faculty of Political Science in Thailand. Isn’t that like studying Human Rights in North Korea?

Maybe he started by reading the wrong textbook before: "Coup d'état for beginners”

Well done Richard, there must be quite a few foreigners who have graduated from Ram by now. Andrew Biggs, the bald one referred to by an earlier poster, was in the year before me and I graduated in 2002 or 3. The first year is easy as you do general subjects and you can buy copies of previous exam papers ( multiple choice) and summaries of the courses across the road. You have to really as it's the traditional style of just learning a lot of information. I remember selecting World History, it was only 3 credits out of 144, but the book was massive covering history from the first human settlements to early 20th century.I remember being amazed in the exam, of the 100 questions, approx 15 to 20 were lifted in exactly the same order from an exam paper of approx 5 years before! Luckily I could remember the answers.

But by years 3 and 4 you're on your own, no more multiple choice, no previous exam papers or summaries, my major was Thai language which was enjoyable till exam time when you had to write a poem on a topic given by the professor- could be anything. I failed that one twice but before the third attempt Bin Laden had demolished the twin towers so I was sure that would be the topic. I wrote a poem before and learnt it by heart. Sure enough the topic was a world on fire and I passed.

Ramkhamhaeng is a nice place, pleasant grounds, thousands of pretty women and good cheap southern Thai food- their khao mok kai is excellent, plus it's really cheap to learn, less than 5,000 baht a year when I was there.You only have to attend for the exams so it's ideal for those working.

I'd recommend it to anyone who loves Thailand and learning Thai,go for it, it's instructional and fun.

• Like 2

Ask Thai students how difficult for them to graduate from this open university!

Yes, let's ask one with rich parents...

You mean someone like the young man with the family name of Shinawatra ?

It didn't matter that he may have tried to cheat at an exam as the response from the uni's deputy president was cheating wasn't a ' big deal '.

• Like 1

For those who like to criticise him I wonder how many could even make it pass the first grade in a Thai school. I am sure not many are even fluent enough to do that. Congratulations on a job well done sir.

EVERYONE passes in Thai schools. Especially 1st grade.

I asked my daughter what did they did in English class at school. She told me the "teacher" just had them draw a picture. So yes I will critize the standards of thai educational institutions and laugh at anyone who boasts about a "Thai education" as if it is any kind of acheivement..

The only value for this guy getting an arts degree from a 3rd rate thai institution is in the novelty value. Even the Thai university engineering programs ain't much better either.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But can he use it when he goes back to Australia, I doubt it will be recognised and only good for local use in Thailand.

'I doubt...'. Do you say that with any knowledge or associated experience?

I doubt that you are all that well acquainted with anything about Thailand.