Paying tax in Thailand based on retirement visa

I have no ties in the UK, I am classed as non-resident and have no obligation to submit a tax return the UK, and in fact the last time I did was maybe 14-15 years ago

Soutpeel, does this mean you have no income from UK sources, including State, government, or private pensions? State pensions are apparently exempt from UK taxation if you're a non resident -- but the other kinds of income and pensions apparently are not.....

So, are you living on your State pension?

State pension is not tax exempt but the personal exemption can be used to offset any tax, for the time being.

• Like 1

State pension is not tax exempt but the personal exemption can be used to offset any tax, for the time being.

Confusing, particularly when you go to the HMRC websites:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

When tax isn’t due or is already deducted

Non-residents don’t usually pay UK tax on:

• the State Pension
  • interest from UK government securities (‘gilts’)

Not really trying to become a Brit tax expert.... but curious to see whether or not Brit expat retirees have a better tax deal than Yanks. If so, the American Revolution, largely over taxes, was a mistake. smile.png

It is time to end the off topic UK tax and residency discussion. If you want to continue it post a topic on the home country forum.

The OP has already made a post that it was not his intention to start such a discussion.

Im German, and I get 2 pensions.

If I declare them in Germany, I pay about 12pct taxes for the social security pension and about 40pct for the private pension.

If I declare them in Thailand, I pay about 10pct for both.

I need a yellow book to make sure I want to stay here.

Non Immigrant OA Visa is oK.

As someone else posted, you don't need a new retirement visa every year.

But for taxation, I surely prefer the Thai option.

Your very personal situation might vary, depends if you have a second pension with higher taxes than the first pension, and depends on permanent residence in Thailand.

Tax laws should be harmonized by now for all EEC.

I heard that once the UK realises that you have moved to a Non-Sheduled area, any state pension will be frozen at the rate that you received at the time you "moved".

I appreciate that the OP is nowhere near the time to receive a State pension.

My point is that there are other rammifications with being associated with Thailand because it is "non-scheduled".

Health insurance might also be another consideration. Will the OP's payment arrangements ensure that he will have enough input to his NI for full NHS cover in future.

I would guess that his company have excellent healthcare schemes in place. The thing to consider might be what happens if and when he no longer works for that company and what happens at retirement age. The State Pension can be paid to anywhere in the world, but there may be a downside when paid to Thailand as mentioned above.

Nice position for the OP to be in at such an early age though!

Great stuff!