Akara Gold Mine to Reopen

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-52727600-1424990310_thumb.

The Akara gold mine will reopen and resume operations. The halt order was lifted, but locals are still concerned of the health impact of the mine.

Akara Resources Plc has been granted permission to reopen by the Department of Primary Industries and Mines. Gold mining operations will resume in Phetchabun, Phichit and Phitsanulok provinces. Locals who are concerned about the mine’s operations are preparing to oppose the reopening.

Akara’s operations were halted in January for 30 days by the department, who demanded the company resolve health and environmental concerns of heavy metal contamination. The order to halt operations was extended for an additional 45 days from February 13 after the company failed to respond to the order.

Surapong Chientong, director general, said the company had previously filed documentation that contained the information the department was looking for. The documentation included a list of local people who were receiving medical treatment and the appropriate documentation that confirmed the start of their treatment. A contract was also included for the hiring of academics to help determine the cause of the illnesses plaguing the people living near the mine.

Because the company had already filed documentation, the director general says the department will allow the company to resume its mining operations. A new order was given by the department and will reach Akara by Friday.

The resumption of mining operations will be permitted with a few stipulations: Akara must continue to provide ailing locals with continued treatment, the company must allow representatives from the village to check its operations, forums must be organized to discuss the health and environmental impacts of the mine, and the company must perform public relations exercises.

Villagers who are opposed to the mine say they will continue to fight the company’s operations. According to one villager, the company did not provide ill villagers with treatment and did not investigate the causes of the impact of mining.

CEO of Akara Resources, Pakorn Sukham, says the company will take care of the local villagers living near the gold mine and will meet the department’s conditions.

tvn.png
-- 2015-02-27