Protest planned over recent Central Pattaya Road closures and changes

webfact

Every day at the end of school I pick up my son from school in Soi Korpai and we go to universe gym on Sukhumvit opposite Soi SSCC.

As of lately this has become a real problem. Normally I drive back to Pattaya Tai through the Soi where Vientane restaurant is located. Recently it is not possible anymore to turn right towards Sukhumvit anymore.

Going through Soi Korpai itself is also not possible because of the concrete barriers there.

Going over 3rd road and then turn onto Pattaya klang is since yesterday also not possible anymore, because the right turn is blocked.

So if I go all the way to Pattaya Nua, then turn right on Sukhumvit I;m not able to make a U-turn at the SSCC junction where the gym is located, nor can I at the Klang junction, and have to drive back almost the whole way to Pattaya Tai to make a U-turn.

I haven't measured it yet, but going from Soi Korpai all the way to Pattaya Nua, then again all the way back to Pattaya Tai, and then U-turn again all the way back to SSCC, cost me an extra 20 km every day just to reach the gym.

Can you not go through Big C Extra from 3rd rd through to yumee then onto Klang again?

That would indeed be a shortcut in some way.

Every day at the end of school I pick up my son from school in Soi Korpai and we go to universe gym on Sukhumvit opposite Soi SSCC.

As of lately this has become a real problem. Normally I drive back to Pattaya Tai through the Soi where Vientane restaurant is located. Recently it is not possible anymore to turn right towards Sukhumvit anymore.

Going through Soi Korpai itself is also not possible because of the concrete barriers there.

Going over 3rd road and then turn onto Pattaya klang is since yesterday also not possible anymore, because the right turn is blocked.

So if I go all the way to Pattaya Nua, then turn right on Sukhumvit I;m not able to make a U-turn at the SSCC junction where the gym is located, nor can I at the Klang junction, and have to drive back almost the whole way to Pattaya Tai to make a U-turn.

I haven't measured it yet, but going from Soi Korpai all the way to Pattaya Nua, then again all the way back to Pattaya Tai, and then U-turn again all the way back to SSCC, cost me an extra 20 km every day just to reach the gym.

Can you not go through Big C Extra from 3rd rd through to yumee then onto Klang again?

This was mentioned in another thread. I live in that area and I have seen so many accidents at that intersection particularly when they cross over 3r road from the opposite soi next to 711. If everybody starts using that even more it's going to be horrible.

Even before now it should have been controlled intersection but now with the increased volume of traffic ( including an enormous number of tourist buses waiting to reach the traffic lights further down and which totally obstruct your line of sight) along third road it's going to be absolute shambles at that small intersection.

Edited by Asiantravel

It's a real shame the tunnel is even being constructed--I doubt it will help much as it will just speed the traffic a little faster to the next traffic bottleneck at the next intersection. I'm sure the tunnel was selected as there was much more graft money to made on a tunnel than an overpass. Too bad the money wasn't used for:

1. Making all right turns 2 lanes where possible.

2. Widening traffic intersections to get more traffic thru on a light cycle and lengthening no parking restrictions at traffic intersections and U turns.

3. Improving U Turn lanes to get them OUT of the traffic lanes--especially on Sukhumvit, Thappraya, etc. SO DANGEROUS.

4. Constructing some CONNECTING STREETS. Pattaya seems to have been built with very few connecting streets between major roads--so often there is just one way to get somewhere or there is a long way to go to get to a connecting street.

5. Installing traffic barriers/curbs on turning lanes at major intersections like Sukhumvit/Thepprasit to prevent vehicles from attempting to make turns from the thru traffic lanes--this causes so much congestion when cars stop in the traffic lane and attempt to 'cut in' to make a turn. Plus its so dangerous having stopped vehicles in the thru lanes.

6. Hiring meter maids to patrol congested streets and issue traffic tickets for illegal parking, double parking, parking on sidewalks, etc. and make the fines big enough to hurt. Pay the meter maids thru the money generated by the fines.

7. Getting the traffic lights working on the Railroad Road. They are already installed--why in the world doesn't someone just TURN THEM ON!!!

8. Re-engineering Thappraya and Jomtien Second Roads. Both are engineering disgraces--Thappraya goes from 2 lanes to sometimes 3 lanes in places to barely 1 1/2 lanes where there are totally inadequate U turns. Jomtien Second Road has a long stretch of street lights that have never worked, the road is literally falling apart before our eyes, U turn lanes are barely wide enough for a motorcycle, and striping has never been done.

9. Installing a traffic barrier down the center of Thepprasit Road and organizing proper turning lanes and U Turn lanes.

10. And finally, removing the TOTALLY TACKY, DIRTY, UNNECESSARY shopping stalls that have been installed once again on the sidewalks of Pattaya Beach Road. What an unsightly mess and it totally ruins the look of Beach Road, creates traffic congestion with all the merchant's illegally parked vehicles, and makes it difficult for pedestrians to walk on the sidewalks. THESE PERIODIC MARKET STALL INSTALLATIONS ON THE BEACHSIDE SIDEWALK SHOULD BE PERMANENTLY BANNED

Well, that's a start. Maybe other readers will have some suggestions and they can all be presented to the city officials for comments and, hopefully, ACTION!

• Like 2

• Advanced Members
  • 3,256 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:12

" THESE PERIODIC MARKET STALL INSTALLATIONS ON THE BEACHSIDE SIDEWALK SHOULD BE PERMANENTLY BANNED "

giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZuL417oA I doubt if that will happen because in the words of Arthur Daley it's a nice little earner for somebody at City Hall rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-siBMq

So true, so true. When the so-called 'improvement' to Pattaya Beach Road was done, the sidewalk on the beach side was re-done--to cram in more of these awful market booths. The sidewalk that desperately needed improvement was the one on the other side of the street--the shops side. So narrow, broken, uneven, and difficult to walk on even single file! But, of course, no revenue there so no improvement. It's sad that when anything is done in Pattaya it is only done to enhance the pockets of the powers that be in some way. If the public benefits at all that is just a lucky byproduct.

The problem is that you cannot see any drop in business since the massive traffic is hiding the downturn in sales. Sure Pattaya looks busy but that is just because everyone is trying to get to the shops. How folks who live on the dark side can get to Foodland is a mystery to me

If there is a Chamber of Commerce or a Thai equivalent then they had better get off their ass and hire a private security company to handle traffic since it is obvious that the Pattaya Police or Highway Patrol can't be bothered

Living on the dark side I actually have no idea now how to get anywhere on the bright side. Crossing the railway roads which used to be a doodle has now become as big a nightmare as crossing the Sukhumvit. Don't think it is actually possible to CROSS them legally any more, as they all appear to have been made one way, (one way or the other), between the railway and Sukhumvit and it seems that left turns have to be made followed by lengthy diversions before making u-turns to get back to where you were and finding you then can't even turn left to the Sukhumvit because your chosen exit road has been made one-way against you! What an absolute .......-up (please choose your own expletive as I've run out!)

Why are there no hand-outs of the new traffic system being distributed? Supermarkets, assuming you can find a way to get to one, would seem useful distribution points.

The maps I have seen in threads in this forum are incomprehensible to me and don't appear to show which Sois have become one-way and where. Just a lot of confusing u-turn arrows which would be unnecessary if the maps merely showed arrows indicating which directions are permissible at each junction.

https://www.facebook...0170695&fref=nf

unhappy Thais try to explain to Pattaya traffic manager that shutting all the roads causes everyone hardship

calls for a very simple solution open all roads as they where before and have extra volunteer traffic police manning the junctions at rush hour

( I assume let the traffic free flow at other times.)

Would make sense for the time being. Given that the two sets of traffic lights have been shut down on Suk at klang and sscc and no right turns, the traffic going north to south should be flowing much better which makes me wonder why they have messed about with the railway road at all. I can only assume that more lanes on Suk are going to be closed off for tunnel building.

The day before yesterday ,it took nearly an hour to go from the bottom of Pattaya Tai to sukhumvit ,every side road had cars coming out and just blocking the road ,pure gridlock ,not a copper in sight , thats us staying up north Pattaya for the next 3 bloody years , and as i said before great that they opened that new supermarket in Leam Chabang on the main roadsmile.png

Why are there no hand-outs of the new traffic system being distributed? Supermarkets, assuming you can find a way to get to one, would seem useful distribution points.

The maps I have seen in threads in this forum are incomprehensible to me and don't appear to show which Sois have become one-way and where. Just a lot of confusing u-turn arrows which would be unnecessary if the maps merely showed arrows indicating which directions are permissible at each junction.

It's not bad idea but unfortunately, the maps and new traffic flow hand-outs would be out of date before they are published as the situation is changing almost daily.

It's all trial and error.... for the next 5 years or so.....

Road-works spring up overnight.

There's never consideration for traffic, let alone pedestrians.

No diversion signs.

Not even a "dead-end" sign at the beginning of the affected Soi.

I think it's called "Thainess".

And the excuse "Thailand is a third-world country".

The old adage "Get from A to B in the quickest possible time, Regardless".

For this reason a protest has been arranged at Pattaya City Hall on Friday afternoon at 1pm where the Pattaya Mayor will be asked to re-think the traffic plans which protesters claim are causing some to suffer financial ruin

Did any of the kibitzers here go to the protest and if so what happened ?